AMD is really falling behind NVIDIA

ContemplatingBeluga

Come back and say that when Nvidia is on par with AMD in Ultra high resolution performance/support and Eyefinity.

Oh yeah TressFX is amazing.

Not to mention workstation support on their gaming cards is far better. Especially video editing.

I used Nvidia all the way up to the GTX 600 series, I switched to AMD 7000 series, and will not be going to back to Nvidia.

Physx Is just useless marketing feature that Nvidia used with Bordelands and such games, woooooow, waving flags, such realistic, much wow... AMD even has got a 3rd party Physx-like driver

Note later in my post I said it was useless  :)

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Obvious troll is obvious...

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

Game DVR has one disadvantage. 

-It can only record for 20 minutes. It sounds stupid, but it's actually true.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Game DVR has one disadvantage. 

-It can only record for 20 minutes. It sounds stupid, but it's actually true.

I just DXtory with some custom settings to get excellent recording time and lower file size.

I just feel they are very different.

I mean I wanted raw performance, so I got AMD. Cheap and fast. Done.

If you wanted some nice features, go NVIDIA. Expensive, nice looking and performing ref cards.

CPUs are a whole different story, but even there it is like: Do you want fast cores or many cores? Intel or AMD?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

AMD Gameing Evolved App (Raptr) is shit.

I just feel they are very different.

I mean I wanted raw performance, so I got AMD. Cheap and fast. Done.

If you wanted some nice features, go NVIDIA. Expensive, nice looking and performing ref cards.

CPUs are a whole different story, but even there it is like: Do you want fast cores or many cores? Intel or AMD?

I hope this is just a rhetorical question.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

AMD Gameing Evolved App (Raptr) is shit.

Agreed. It tries too hard to be like Steam, to the point where it gets really invasive and annoying. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I hope this is just a rhetorical question.

Yup.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Agreed. It tries too hard to be like Steam, to the point where it gets really invasive and annoying. 

You know that you can disable the in-game interface, right?

You know that you can disable the in-game interface, right?

That's what I did, I just make these complaints anyway for no reason. 

Divergent philosophies get you different places. Many people say great minds think alike, but the irony is they often disagree. Nvidia is pushing forward better efficiency and doing a lot of proprietary software to advance their idea of a perfect industry. AMD advances their hardware in a way that gets the same performance at a cheaper price with costs. AMD tries a bit more to target, or rather tailor themselves to, just the consumer. Nvidia has a tendency to try to lock up the market by getting people to use their proprietary way of doing things. It's almost like Apple vs PC. I believe so long as AMD doesn't lag behind too blatantly in performance as they do with Intel they'll be fine. By the way it's patented stuff that's also hindering AMD. For awhile they battled Intel's inherent aggressive patenting and lawsuits as they do with Nvidia; save Nvidia doesn't do it down right illegally like Intel. The 290x's performance isn't comparable to the 780Ti but neither are their price at least according to several benchmarks including Linus', AnandTech, Tom's Hardware, and Hardware Canucks.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

I've seen nothing that shows "Game DVR" is anywhere near as nice, fluid and functional as Shadowplay

What device is AMD competing with against the shield/shield tablet?

PhysX is about as useless as TressFX except it's been featured in more games(though TressFX hasn't been out as long)

Gsync has a small presence and will have a larger one in the future, yet I've not heard anything about freesync since it was announced.

Mantle is only supported on a few games and hardly makes  enough of a difference to justify dealing with inferior drivers and software.

Yes they have differing goals but im my mind AMD is still behind and so long as they keep fighting on two fronts against Intel and Nvidia they will always be behind. they simply don't have the budget to so anything spectacular to pull ahead in either field.

Game DVR is working fine for me.

I said AMD isn't competing in the mobile market so why would they have a shield competitor.

It still doesn't change the fact Physx and Tress FX are pointless.

You haven't been following the freesync news very well if you haven't heard anything since it was announced.

Mantle makes a game like battlefield 4 playable for me. DX 90 Fps Mantle 120+ no driver is making that improvement. Again the news from more and more companies will be supporting mantle makes it even more relevant.

As for shitty drivers last I checked Nvidia are capable of shit drivers too. Lets not forget the poor souls who's cards burnt out with beta drivers from both sides.

With all the news about Gameworks and all the dll's AMD aren't given access to is it any reason they have a painful time with drivers?

Don't get me wrong I don't mean to come off like an AMD fanboy I buy whichever I feel like at the time. But I don't believe the gap is as huge as the OP thinks.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

NVIDIA has so much more to offer consumers in comparison to AMD. Shadowplay, Shield Tablet with its ability to stream games and better power consumption in general. I am planning to buy a new graphics card soon and I was quite shocked to learn how far behind AMD is now in terms of functionality. Mantle has yet to prove itself groundbreaking in any way as promised. As a AMD user, I am really quite disappointed over this  :(

If AMD works more on software (better game optimisation and drivers) amd will be about the same in terms of power comsumption. Right now, AMD is offering higher compute power with higher power comsumption. I do admit that Nvidias shadowplay is extremly usefull compared to programms like fraps, since there is no fps drop whatsoever, the problem is though that this only works with nvidias kepler architekture, not with older cards, and as far as i know, amd now has a competitor for shadowplay that supports older cards aswell.

And the idea of any shield product is just bad for me. I dont want to game on a tablet or some kind of mini controller thing that costs 400 bucks Nvidia, i want to game on my PC, with a nice big monitor.

But now my rant about NVidia drivers: I lost 2 games of competetive cs:go now because NVidia wants to make some fuckig updates (excuse my language here) in mid game, which made my cs:go crash. I also had to completly reinstall windows because of a nvidia driver which just wouldnt display any video output on my monitor.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

/Snip

Other than shield streaming  xD not really but that's because Nvidia is highly proprietary... AMD has Game DVR vs Shadowplay... Power consumption is negligible as it depends more on your PSUs efficiency as they're within  25W at theoretically 100% efficiency and remember AMD has Tonga coming up and Nvidia has maxwell... Intel is now trying to incorporate Mantle so it's usefulness shall only go up and MANTLE is more of a useful tech than  PhysX and it's a newer technology still in BETA essentially... and WHERE THE FUCK are consumer grade NVIDIA CPUS!?! You gotta remember AMD is also a consumer-enterprise grade CPU company... I could go on but my point is there much closer than you think they're neck and neck any arguments just come from either fanboys or people who are unaware of certain features or for no reason just ignore them.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I probably wouldn't say that. AMD is not behind Intel in processor tech either, really only in manufacturing nodes. Amd's CPUs being different to intel's does not mean they have fallen behind.

Same goes for gpus I think, both AMD and nvidia are producing similarly performing products with minor differences.

In terms of extra features nvidia does offer more proprietary options. But those nvidia only features do most have alternatives.

At this moment game DVR is pretty much exactly the same as shadowplay. Both even annoy owners of previous Gen card owners by requiring 7000 and 600 series.

They are falling behind because they dont invent any new cpu, just the apus. The piledriver architekture was released in 2012.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

It's still not even a drop in the bucket, but like every feature that's offered it will come down to the individual to decide if their worth it or not. I know I'm not alone in wanting a complete package and being willing to pay more for it.

star citizen

gta5

amd: 1 nvidia: 0

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

It's pretty obvious that AMD is behind by a long way. They can't make GPUs that compete with Nvidia without a ludicrous TDP and power draw, and they flat out can't compete with Intel on ANY level when it comes to CPU performance.

RIP in piece.

I wouldn't say they're falling behind. If anything they're catching up - better drivers than in the past, useable crossfire with better-then-nvidia scaling, better surround gaming (eyefinity) and overall great performance at great prices on their higher end cards.

If there wasn't a £70 gap between a 290 and a 780 then it would be less clear cut for me, but as it stands that is a lot of money.

Physx Is just useless marketing feature that Nvidia used with Bordelands and such games, woooooow, waving flags, such realistic, much wow... AMD even has got a 3rd party Physx-like driver

You say that like TressFX is more useful, in all of the one game it's ever been used in? I never said PhysX was a card selling feature and it has been under utilized imo but at least in the games it has been used it its used for something more than some dammed hair physics.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

star citizen

gta5

amd: 1 nvidia: 0

still only a few games you don't get it so I won't bother as I've already said my peace in this thread.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It's pretty obvious that AMD is behind by a long way. They can't make GPUs that compete with Nvidia without a ludicrous TDP and power draw, and they flat out can't compete with Intel on ANY level when it comes to CPU performance.

RIP in piece.

Rest in piece in piece?

Actually if there are no amd prices of both their competitors will go high above the sky. But that's none of my business. Also they have different architecture so can't compare different architecture. Especially TDP and power draw.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

RIP in piece.

This comment just made me loose many brain cells. The TDP of the 780Ti and the 280X are not quite as different as you make out. Stop making such dumb comments. With regards to CPU performance, don't even bother with that argument as you won't get anywhere. If you are going to say stuff like this then please actually provide some proof.

431ddcf74a103e3175097274428607b2.png

Source: http://www.hwcompare.com/16369/geforce-gtx-780-ti-vs-radeon-r9-290x/

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Rest in piece in piece?

Actually if there are no amd prices of both their competitors will go high above the sky. But that's none of my business. Also they have different architecture so can't compare different architecture. Especially TDP and power draw.

Welcome to the internet, you must be new here. :P

But yeah, I/we NEED AMD to be a worthy competitor for the sake of good competition. But they're just not, and it sucks. I think it's fair to say that the way they go about producing their products is poor engineering. They can't make a fast GPU? - crank the shit out of it at stock - 290/290x. They can't make a fast CPU? - crank the shit out of it at stock - FX 9590.