I need to...

Jerakl

convince my dad the laptop that I picked out to buy isn't just for gaming, despite being a ROG series laptop.

Situation: My dad doesn't want to buy the laptop I reserved at memory express because he thinks I picked it centered on gaming. Which I did not. I could have picked something with a better GPU,etc for same price but I didn't because Battery life was shorter and it was thicker.

I'm paying for 2/5 of the laptops price, basically anything over 750$.

-IPS screen will be great for color work in art class/digital design.

-Faster hard drive so I can transfer data to google drive faster (yes we have to use it for school >.<)

-Better specs means it will not be obsolete as quickly as a laptop with an i5.

-Has enough power to do content creation.

Laptop is the G550JK by Asus.

All my dad knows I need is a laptop with a "quad core".

How we came to the agreement is my mom gave me a budget and anything over that I have to pay for, so if I want this I have to pay 500$ for it. Linus gave it an excellent review as well which is another reason I chose it.

Want I want to buy:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52847

What my dad thinks I should buy: (Generalization)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX46820

KEEP IN MIND THIS:

I reserved the last unit in town last week and my dad said it would be ok. Then he decided that it was too gaming oriented and went back on it. It's still reserved, but if he said I can show him how it's better for school then an option such as the one above.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If your parents are firm on not paying for a gaming laptop, then it'll be hard to sway them, especially if they're paying for the majority of it.

just tell them you will be using it mostly for school, and promise you'll only play games on it in your free time when homework etc are all finished.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

RoG pretty much screams gaming. Good luck with that. :P

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If your parents are firm on not paying for a gaming laptop, then it'll be hard to sway them, especially if they're paying for the majority of it.

just tell them you will be using it mostly for school, and promise you'll only play games on it in your free time when homework etc are all finished.

LoL I know that. I can buy anything I want, I just have to pay for everything after 500$. As long as my dad thinks it has enough application for school work it'll be fine and we'll go buy it tomorrow xD

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

RoG pretty much screams gaming. Good luck with that. :P

It's the only think laptop I could find with those kind of specs, that thinness and that battery life.

I would rather not have gone RoG TBH, but it had most everything I was looking for, decent specs, thin, decent battery life.

If you ever do any editing on it or anything that is benifited by having a GPU then it is one of the best options there is as far as a laptop is concerned. Asus makes very good laptops so it will last a long time. Be sure to mention that.

In language arts we do videos sometimes, and I'm one of the few people in my class that have any technical knowledge, so I usually end up editing. Also, if by the grace of God I get into Digital Multimedia again then it would be soooooo useful there. The computers at our school meant for like Adobe creative software/sony vegas only have low end I5's, 8GB of RAM and a HD 7450.

convince my dad the laptop that I picked out to buy isn't just for gaming, despite being a ROG series laptop.

Situation: My dad doesn't want to buy the laptop I reserved at memory express because he thinks I picked it centered on gaming. Which I did not. I could have picked something with a better GPU,etc for same price but I didn't because Battery life was shorter and it was thicker.

I'm paying for 2/5 of the laptops price, basically anything over 750$.

-IPS screen will be great for color work in art class/digital design.

-Faster hard drive so I can transfer data to google drive faster (yes we have to use it for school >.<)

-Better specs means it will not be obsolete as quickly as a laptop with an i5.

-Has enough power to do content creation.

Laptop is the G550JK by Asus.

All my dad knows I need is a laptop with a "quad core".

How we came to the agreement is my mom gave me a budget and anything over that I have to pay for, so if I want this I have to pay 500$ for it. Linus gave it an excellent review as well which is another reason I chose it.

Want I want to buy:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52847

What my dad thinks I should buy: (Generalization)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX46820

KEEP IN MIND THIS:

I reserved the last unit in town last week and my dad said it would be ok. Then he decided that it was too gaming oriented and went back on it. It's still reserved, but if he said I can show him how it's better for school then an option such as the one above.

Is it how it looks that makes him think its for gaming? Or the contents?

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Is it how it looks that makes him think its for gaming? Or the contents?

He doesn't know anything about it. He just thinks because I can play games on it I'm "centering it around gaming".

The only thing gamer about it is the gamer look and the dedicated GPU. The GPU is low end as well you could definitely get something better if gaming is what you wanted.

You could probably play games with integrated graphics too if you really wanted.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

He doesn't know anything about it. He just thinks because I can play games on it I'm "centering it around gaming".

Take the parts, and compare it to a macbook pro. "Everyone" knows "art people" use macbooks. Maybe he will understand that you essentially want a PC version of a Macbook pro? 

Take the parts, and compare it to a macbook pro. "Everyone" knows "art people" use macbooks. Maybe he will understand that you essentially want a PC version of a Macbook pro? 

You mean hipsters.

So I go and talk to him and he basically says "No, we're not buying it because you don't have any reasons why it's good for school."

Then whenever I try to give him a reason he just counters it with "you don't need it."

He also thinks a 500$ craptop will last me until university....

So I go and talk to him and he basically says "No, we're not buying it because you don't have any reasons why it's good for school."

Then whenever I try to give him a reason he just counters it with "you don't need it."

Your parents have there mind set, no offense but your srewed. Just do what i did and do a small mitx build with a 19 inch maonitor screwed onto it and a cover, plus for the price of that laptop you could have a beast ass pc :)

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Your parents have there mind set, no offense but your srewed. Just do what i did and do a small mitx build with a 19 inch maonitor screwed onto it and a cover, plus for the price of that laptop you could have a beast ass pc :)

1. I need a laptop for school.

2. I have a beast ass PC.

1. I need a laptop for school.

2. I have a beast ass PC.

Good then you can just strap that onto a monitor! 

Good then you can just strap that onto a monitor! 

I have a chassis that can fit XL-ATX Boards. Kinda like a 900D without the basement.

I have a chassis that can fit XL-ATX Boards. Kinda like a 900D without the basement.

Cool, use a 27 inch monitor!!!!!!!

Cool, use a 27 inch monitor!!!!!!!

Got a 32". It's only 720p though :/

Got a 32". It's only 720p though :/

Best ass PC but plays at 720p, what is this? 2009? LOL. Im just playing, i hope your dad will get swayed! 

Best ass PC but plays at 720p, what is this? 2009? LOL. Im just playing, i hope your dad will get swayed! 

I got it for free, too poor for another one ATM

I'm going to be selling my case and buying a midtower. then a new monitor, gunna gun for some 14" IPS 2 ms response.

That Sucks man....

I would never recommend anything around/under $500 to anyone no matter what they are doing if they can afford more. $500 laptops are DESIGNED to die after 2-3 years. It's consumer grade, "throw it away because I want a brand new one now anyway" computers.

Believe me, I have completely rebuilt dozens of these laptops, it's hilarious how badly made they are compared to a $750+ laptop.  

Can you go to a local computer shop (Not a store like best buy or walmart or anything) and ask them to review your choices? Tell them you plan on doing this and that for school, and they can easily say (like we are), that a decent laptop is the right way to go. Maybe he will listen to them instead? 

I got it for free, too poor for another one ATM

I'm going to be selling my case and buying a midtower. then a new monitor, gunna gun for some 14" IPS 2 ms response.

Wanna buy a 2 month old white corsair 500r? No scratches or dents

Wanna buy a 2 month old white corsair 500r? No scratches or dents

Maybe, depends. I'll take a look at the case on the site.

1. Wouldn't match anything I own

2. Not much smaller then my current tower