Temperature controlled fans

ManWithBeard1990

Good day. Having recently built my rig I am noticing it's not as quiet as it could have been. The case isolates well, but the fan noise is still audible, even when I turn them down with my fan controller. Now, the culprit seems to be the PSU fan which keeps running at full speed basically all the time, so I thought it might be a good idea to replace it. Seeing as I'm old-fashioned and have my PSU top-mounted it still has to draw air away from the CPU heatsink when needed though.

I know Arctic Cooling makes a fan with a built in thermostat, namely the F12 TC, but I'd like to know whether there are other options out there that I should consider. Are there any other good, reasonably priced temperature-controlled fans?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Good day. Having recently built my rig I am noticing it's not as quiet as it could have been. The case isolates well, but the fan noise is still audible, even when I turn them down with my fan controller. Now, the culprit seems to be the PSU fan which keeps running at full speed basically all the time, so I thought it might be a good idea to replace it. Seeing as I'm old-fashioned and have my PSU top-mounted it still has to draw air away from the CPU heatsink when needed though.

I know Arctic Cooling makes a fan with a built in thermostat, namely the F12 TC, but I'd like to know whether there are other options out there that I should consider. Are there any other good, reasonably priced temperature-controlled fans?

What brand of PSU do you have because I know some PSU's just use some really high pressure, high CFM fans that are on the loud side. You can do a fan swap and replace the original with a good quality silent one.

What brand of PSU do you have because I know some PSU's just use some really high pressure, high CFM fans that are on the loud side. You can do a fan swap and replace the original with a good quality silent one.

It's an entry level Cooler Master one.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Hmm I'm not exactly sure what fans Cooler Master uses for their PSU but not uncommon to replace the OEM fan they use with like a Nocuta or Bitfenix Spectra Pro, but this will void your warranty since you are opening it, and there are certain precautions needed when opening a PSU.

Your problem right there. For enthusiast level build and silence optimized one entry level PSUs aren't the best option by far. They are meant for office style builds where noise is last on the list. Higher (even med) level PSUs have load controlled fans that speedup or even start when load increases over certain percentage.

As for options. I'm also about to change my PSU fan because of coil whine. So you could just change fan to more quiet one and have it run at full speed. Good ones are ~30db which is still bit loud. Or, as @M2GR suggested for me, you could route fan cable out from PSU and use mobo (3pin/PWM) to control it according to mobos temp sensors. I'm not aware if load based config for fan speeds is possibility in any control software. Opening PSU casing will void warranty. So getting better PSU could be option as well.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv