Are aftermarket fans worth it?

deck

My new build is based on a corsair air 540 case and h110 cpu cooler. The stock fans are fine, and the temperatures are good for now (i am willing to overclock it), but they are pretty loud.

So I am considering to buy new high-end fans, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation in this domain, like people telling all the time that noctua are the best, even through in most actual comparison reviews I have seen, they are just above average.

Anyway since I don't know enough about fans to make a bold choice on my own, I am considering to buy five NF-A14 FLX, 2 for the h110 and 3 for the case obviously. Is this a good choice? I want the thing to be performant and quiet (no kidding).

But now I am wondering if it is really worth it to put more than $100 in fans? Will I notice a real difference, like more than 20% quieter? Or can I expect this thing to just be silent? Will there be a tangible gain performance wise, compared to the stock ones which are not that bad?

Depends on the brand of stock fans, from what I understand NXZT and Fractal Design have great stock fans. Corsair I would change in a heart beat.

Noctua, Be Quiet!, Cougar, Silverstone and Bitfenix are good brands.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Totally worth it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

LED Fan=So much swag

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

it will run cooler and be ALOT more quieter than a stock cooler

My new build is based on a corsair air 540 case and h110 cpu cooler. The stock fans are fine, and the temperatures are good for now (i am willing to overclock it), but they are pretty loud.

So I am considering to buy new high-end fans, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation in this domain, like people telling all the time that noctua are the best, even through in most actual comparison reviews I have seen, they are just above average.

Anyway since I don't know enough about fans to make a bold choice on my own, I am considering to buy five NF-A14 FLX, 2 for the h110 and 3 for the case obviously. Is this a good choice? I want the thing to be performant and quiet (no kidding).

But now I am wondering if it is really worth it to put more than $100 in fans? Will I notice a real difference, like more than 20% quieter? Or can I expect this thing to just be silent? Will there be a tangible gain performance wise, compared to the stock ones which are not that bad?

They wont change the temps much, but the sound difference is huge.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

it will run cooler and be ALOT more quieter than a stock cooler

ALOT2.png

It depends on how important cost, performance, and noise are to you. NF-A14's would be my #1 choice in this scenario for good performance and low noise--that is, if price isn't that much of an issue.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."