Whining | Keyboard LED's

Stangahh

Hello forum :)

I bought myself a Ducky Shine II White LED Cherry Brown keyboard. I use a Turtle Beach PX21 headset through on-board audio. Im not running my headset through any kind of pass through (because the Ducky keyboard doesn't have it. :P ) My headset has 2 channels that I can control, Game and Chat. The Game channel handles things like music and i can use my bass boost function on that channel, the Chat channel is where things like Skype chat is controlled.

ANYWAY,

When i have all the LED's on the keyboard ON, i hear a whine in my headset. The whine increases and decreases in volume when i turn the volume up and down (on the headset). If i turn the LED's off on the keyboard, the whine disappears.

What's the cause? What's the solution? Thanks forum. :)

I get this through my speakers, although it's more of a pop, when I unplug or re-plug in my USB hub. I assume it has something to do with the power delivery of the motherboard, but I could be shooting in the dark here.

Yeah, there isnt any 'popping' here. Since my keyboard has LED profiles, when i turn on the pulsating one the whining increases and decreases in volume at the same rate of the LED's going bright and dark. Seriously annoying.

Bump - Problem is still present. Can't find a solution...

I get whine from my TB headset all the time, I haven't found a solution. I don't believe it is your keyboard.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

It is 100% my keyboard.

Edit--> I previously had a Razer Lycosa that had blue LED's and they never caused any problems. But like i said above, when the LED's are on with my Ducky keyboard there is a whine.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be interference with your headset's poorly shielded cable? Or as I said above, power problems running a'muck.

1: Have you tried other headphones? More for my benefit than yours - I want to know if it's a universal side-effect or if it's choosy.

2: Do you have any other LED keyboard to hand? Maybe one a friend could lend you?

Im going to have to assume its my headset, i just tested with a Plantronics USB headset and the whine was gone. But why did my headset not whine when i was using it with my Razer Lycosa?

Do both keyboards use USB ports and have you used the same USB port for both?

Random ideas:

- Does the Lycosa have backlight levels? It not, it could be something weird about that.

- Electrical interference (already mentioned).

- "Software" conflict with the PX21 control box and it's split audio controls ("firmware" might be better? I'm not really sure). Perhaps whatever it uses for it's "second" audio control is what Ducky uses for it's backlight.

I imagine you probably did, but did you try plugging your headphones/keyboard into the front I/O and the other into the rear? Or maybe even one of them into your monitor, if that has USB ports.

Yes, I've tried it in different USB ports (PX21 uses USB for power), the Lycosa does not have backlight 'levels' but it has a different modes (All off / WASD in light blue / everything in dark blue).

The PX21 doesnt have any product specific firmware or software. The two audio channels are 'Chat' and 'Game'. Since 'Game' is the primary sound channel and also where the whine comes through, wouldnt it be EXTREMELY bad design for the Ducky keyboard to interfere with the MAIN audio output?

My motherboard doesnt have an AC97/HDAUDIO header so i dont have it plugged in, therefore my front panel headphone/mic do not work. (CM Storm Enforcer).

Whenever i feel like it i might just upgrade my headset, Analog SS 7H anyone? ;)

So basically /giveup