Oculus DK2 uses the Samsung Note 3 screen

Dietrichw

Source

oculus-rift-dk2-640x353.jpg

c2ed9823795bfc86f2153485b453fafc.png

7046e32835ef54614cb632f42178af41.png

Back when Oculus VR first showed off its second virtual reality development kit, the Facebook subsidiary wasn't saying anything specific about the origins of its new, higher-resolution screen. But now that that second dev kit is shipping to pre-order customers, the teardowns have begun and we have a better idea of what it's using: the screen from Samsung's Note 3. Not a similar screen, but the screen directly taken from a Note 3 smartphone -- an AMOLED pushing 1080 x 960 into each eye. Oculus VR even kept the touch module attached, though we'd strongly suggest against trying to use it while wearing the Rift headset.

As iFixit notes, the screen is being overclocked to run a higher refresh rate (75 Hz), which is important in creating what Oculus calls "low-persistence". Hilariously, when the headset's taken apart, you can see the directness of the screen's use, camera-holes and all. Check out the video below for a full walkthrough of the new Rift dev kit.

I actually find it very interesting that they kept the the touch module 

That is quite interesting....

I so want one :( I regret not ordering a DK2 now

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Pretty interesting, although I'm still waiting for the full release before I get involved with the Oculus. The devs can keep the DK to themselves.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Hey if it works and keeps the price down?

Totally ok with this, and actually its a good sign.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

cant wait for CV1

since they have the money for custom panels

i wonder how different the CV1 panel will be vs a 1440p Note 4 panel

maybe actual RGB instead of pentile (fingers crossed)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is fascinating. I love that they are using Samsung screens. I have my reservations about Samsung as a whole, but damned if they don't make the best screens. I hope this partnership continues into the consumer versions, whether straight up mobile screens like this, or custom Samsung screens (even better).

That is quite interesting....

I so want one :( I regret not ordering a DK2 now

barely anything works with it at the moment anyway. Most games haven't released an update for DK2 yet.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

barely anything works with it at the moment anyway. Most games haven't released an update for DK2 yet.

I know but I love gadgets

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Interesting

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This is fascinating. I love that they are using Samsung screens. I have my reservations about Samsung as a whole, but damned if they don't make the best screens. I hope this partnership continues into the consumer versions, whether straight up mobile screens like this, or custom Samsung screens (even better).

I hate their color calibration though. I am not fan of oversaturation, high contrast and gamma.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

People like or dislike oversaturated colors it their opinions but i would have liked to see a LG G3 or note 4 display instead.

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

I'm quite surprised they just used the whole front enclosure of the Note 3, I thought it was going to be the panel itself.

I hate their color calibration though. I am not fan of oversaturation, high contrast and gamma.

I'm not a fan either, but I think SAMOLED is great for the Oculus. The pitch blacks will make it a lot more immersive since it's in an enclosure, but also there's no need to worry about sunlight. The other thing is that these are super bright now, at least in the Note 3 (so I can see why they specifically used this). Of course the colours are never going to be nice and neutral like on an IPS screen, but I think I can give that up for the benefits of SAMOLED this one time, in this one specific case.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

this does make sense. because all the control circuit boards are already on the display and its as small as it can get.

plus it probably is cheaper and easy to source an readily available item than manufacturing one from scratch.  

this also a good indications that the Consumer version will probably sport at least a 2.5k(1440p) panel from something like the LG G3 or the S5 prime(LTE A) version.  

its not realy over saturation go watch this video it helps understand AMOLED

Needs Update

this does make sense. because all the control circuit boards are already on the display and its as small as it can get.

plus it probably is cheaper and easy to source an readily available item than manufacturing one from scratch.  

And design a new one, that must be way too difficult when there are good alternatives already made out there.

its not realy over saturation go watch this video it helps understand AMOLED

Oversaturation is not caused by the amoled screens. In reality amoled screens can be perfectly calibrated to show natural colors. But Samsung doesn't do it. And that's the problem. They oversaturate because it makes the colors pop and look nice to some people. LG is following Samsung's lead and oversaturating their displays as well, and their's aren't amoled.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Big lol :lol:  :lol:

CPU : Intel i7 2600K OC@ 4.5 GHz ;

MOBASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 ;

RAM Corsair 8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz ;

GPU EVGA GTX 680 2Gb (GTX 770 Bios modded and instaled with voltage and fan speed unlock) OC@ 1228 MHz on GPU and 7012 MHz on Memory ;

Considering the news a few months back stating an Oculus and Samsung collaboration would consist of Samsung getting VR tech, and Oculus getting a bunch of Samsung screens, this really shouldnt surprise anyone.

The screens prolly have their phone config cus' thats how Samsung delivered them, not how Oculus ordered them.

Switching a GS4 (probably same with the Note 3 display) to movie mode results in very natural colours, I believe around the time it was launched it was found to be the most accurate display on any mobile device, similarly this can be seen to a lesser extent on older galaxy S devices by switching off "dynamic" mode.

It's not that Amoled is inherently oversaturated, it's just that Samsung's stock calibration does that on purpose because a lot of people like how the colours pop, even if it's not realistic, plus it helps make photos taken with the camera look better than they are, and I'm guessing the Oculus is set up to use a completely different configuration so the fact that it uses Amoled really doesn't matter as far as colour accuracy is concerned.

Oversaturation is not caused by the amoled screens. In reality amoled screens can be perfectly calibrated to show natural colors. But Samsung doesn't do it. And that's the problem. They oversaturate because it makes the colors pop and look nice to some people. LG is following Samsung's lead and oversaturating their displays as well, and their's aren't amoled.

Yep people think over saturation and high gamma log better but they make me want to throw up.

I really don't know I could stand the PPI of the screen when the screen is THAT close to me..

I really don't know I could stand the PPI of the screen when the screen is THAT close to me..

hi frand

come ts?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yep people think over saturation and high gamma log better but they make me want to throw up.

yup it is just a way to get peoples attention when the phone is on display in best buy. and they make the default wallpaper look good with that over saturation so they don't notice until it is too late