Verizon explains why it’s throttling its ‘unlimited’ data customers

Victorious Secret

verizon-wireless-sign.jpg?w=625

Typical PR nonsense. You offer a truly unlimited service, you don't get to go back on it. Throttle all the poor peasants who don't pay for unlimited data you goons. Or upgrade your network capacity, you sure as hell make enough money off your absurd plan prices to do it. 

In a new blog post on Wednesday, Verizon said that it had decided to throttle some of its customers who have unlimited data plans because they were apparently causing congestion issues on its network.

“What we announced last week was a highly targeted and very limited network optimization effort, only targeting cell sites experiencing high demand,” the carrier explained. “The purpose is to ensure there is capacity for everyone in those limited circumstances, and that high users don’t limit capacity for others.”

http://bgr.com/2014/07/31/verizon-unlimited-data-throttling-2/

TLDR: WE ARE DICKS

Also we are shit at providing internet... PLEASE SIGN UP

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And are these plans still available to sign up for?

If so, why? The infastructure is under strain according to this drivel.

TL;DR FUCK YOU CUSTOMERS WE JUST LIKE YOUR MONEY AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is so stupid. Don't throttle your highest paying customers. Buy better equipment (does it work that way?). Now I'm going to be throttled. Just plain stupid.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

And are these plans still available to sign up for?

If so, why? The infastructure is under strain according to this drivel.

They don't let you buy unlimited anymore. You have to be grandfathered in AFAIK.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I fully expected a simple "Because fuck you, that's why"

To be perfectly honest I think I'd prefer that, they piss on us and say it's raining today.

If they can't handle unlimited data on high bandwidths, they shouldn't offer it. period.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Verizon is just

Q3VssHZ.jpg

I'm glad we don't have any ISPs like this where I live. Although in Canada we get pretty slow speeds for the prices we pay....

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

One of the largest ISP in Singapore offering 1gbps speeds at close to 400sgd per month(don't even actually give you 1gb, claims typical speeds of 500-890mbps. they are notorious for throttling you during peak hour and frequent connection drops with bs mandatory routers.), small upcoming competitor offers same 1gbps for 60 SGD per month, (99% 1gb speeds and no throttling during peak hour). Yes this exists. Feel free to laugh at the ISP nonsense.

When questioned why they still charge such a laughable price, they say you are paying for better customer service and support. Haha, joke. Their customer service only knows how to push blame to consumers and not admit their service is bad.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Well they never said "unthrottled and unlimited" did they?

Next year they'll offer a new set of plans, "unthrottled at n MB" then "unthrottled at n+1 MB" , ...

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Or upgrade your network capacity, you sure as hell make enough money off your absurd plan prices to do it. 

If only you knew how much it costs Verizon to put a site up... I've seen other carriers cut every corner possible and do it for around $100,000 but I doubt Verizon has ever built a site under $750,000. And when you cover 97% of the population(or w/e they say they cover) without roaming off other companies, that 3/4 million may only be to cover 500 people in the middle of nowhere.

Not only the cost, but the paperwork behind it is ridiculous, it takes several years from deciding to build a site and actually breaking ground.

Verizon is just

Q3VssHZ.jpg

I'm glad we don't have any ISPs like this where I live. Although in Canada we get pretty slow speeds for the prices we pay....

Yes, but Bell-Aliant in Eastern Canada has unlimited data by default and pretty great customer service

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Yes, but Bell-Aliant in Eastern Canada has unlimited data by default and pretty great customer service

I'm in Western Canada. DAMNIT

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Wind Mobile Unlimited Master Race reporting for duty.

Does the lack of service in some area suck? A little. 

Does the 30 a month for unlimited everything for as long as I stay with them rule? Yup. Especially since its fair game with ANY phone I ever bring over, and since WP8 phones have AWS and Apple got on board the unlocked phone bandwagon (with all bands unlocked), I have little reason to ever leave Wind.

Wind Mobile Unlimited Master Race reporting for duty.

Does the lack of service in some area suck? A little. 

Does the 30 a month for unlimited everything for as long as I stay with them rule? Yup. Especially since its fair game with ANY phone I ever bring over, and since WP8 phones have AWS and Apple got on board the unlocked phone bandwagon (with all bands unlocked), I have little reason to ever leave Wind.

I'll keep that in mind when I get a phone. Hey, you live near me!

Have they already begun throttling? I thought it wasn't going to start until October, but I'm unable to even play a Youtube video at 144p without it buffering every few seconds when normally I can play at 720p no problem. Maybe it's just a funky day today or something.

edit: Well that's odd. It's back to normal now. I guess I'm just paranoid. Hopefully Verizon doesn't go through with this or the throttling won't be awful.

"Lets take away from the people that pay for the higher end service, and give it to the people who don't." Yep, seems about right to me. 

TIL that Verizon is modern day Robin Hood. 

Holy shit. 

How is this not false advertising?

Someone sue them into the ground, take their money, buy them out, and make a decent ISP please

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Maybe they should stop paying the morons in Congress and start putting some money into upgrading the backhaul at these "high demand" sites. Most operators here in the UK do it, reported that a mast near me was getting congested and a month later it had it's backhaul doubled. Since then the mast pretty much constantly gives 5 - 10Mbit which is plenty for watching youtube and twitch streams and what not.

We have an operator here called "Three" and the data they provide is TRULY unlimited, they do throttle but they ONLY throttle p2p. Masts that are congested do have traffic management enabled on them to keep the service running. Masts are usually upgraded with more backhaul within 6 - 8 weeks of the problem appearing. They also monitor the masts in real-time to make sure problems are logged as soon as they become apparent so they can be resolved. I called the other day to ask about a problem at my grandparents house as the signal had gone bad, they said that the backhaul was congested and said the cell was reducing it's area of coverage to keep service levels ok. 6 weeks later service was returned to normal.

Verizon: Stop paying those overpaid monkeys in Congress and start throwing money at your infrastructure. Also, stop giving these delusional PR "statements".

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Next up: pay to NOT be throttled on top of paying for unlimited data! Only costs you an extra $100 a day. suckers....

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Maybe they should stop paying the morons in Congress and start putting some money into upgrading the backhaul at these "high demand" sites. Most operators here in the UK do it, reported that a mast near me was getting congested and a month later it had it's backhaul doubled. Since then the mast pretty much constantly gives 5 - 10Mbit which is plenty for watching youtube and twitch streams and what not.

We have an operator here called "Three" and the data they provide is TRULY unlimited, they do throttle but they ONLY throttle p2p. Masts that are congested do have traffic management enabled on them to keep the service running. Masts are usually upgraded with more backhaul within 6 - 8 weeks of the problem appearing. They also monitor the masts in real-time to make sure problems are logged as soon as they become apparent so they can be resolved. I called the other day to ask about a problem at my grandparents house as the signal had gone bad, they said that the backhaul was congested and said the cell was reducing it's area of coverage to keep service levels ok. 6 weeks later service was returned to normal.

Verizon: Stop paying those overpaid monkeys in Congress and start throwing money at your infrastructure. Also, stop giving these delusional PR "statements".

For the most part, Verizon sites have the capacity, the issue is with ISPs providing them the connection to the internet.

LTE in my area was held back nearly two years because it took that long for Century link to provide the fiber. The sites had all the equipment installed and tested, just sat turned off as there was no point to it when they were still running on T1's. A site up in the middle of nowhere covering about 500 people was one of the first to get LTE because Century Link did not cover that area and the local ISP actually tried to get fiber to them in a timely manner.

Several of the Lincoln sites are finally running 100Mbps yet are still maxed on capacity, and cannot go any further until LTE-A is fully tested. They do test runs in small markets for several months to a year before deploying new equipment.

Don't quote me on this because I am not positive... but Verizon Wireless and Verizon Communications are managed completely independently of each other. From what I understand money doesn't even flow back and forth from each of them when needed, if one went under the other wouldn't help. We don't work in the large cities very much so I'm not sure how often it happens, but I've been to a few Verizon sites in California where Verizon Communications had fiber coverage there, and the Verizon Wireless site was using another ISP.