Laser and Optical Sensors

Chriz6097

I'm torn between getting a Logitech G602 as a new mouse or just sticking with my current one. I'm not sure if an optical sensor is any better than the laser G500 I've had for the last 6 years. My question to you is: What are the pro's and cons of each. Also which do you think is the best choice.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Think there is a techquickie video comparing the two

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

laser sucks, has acceleration, prediction, horrid for fps gaming, but for other types its useable i guess :/ optical is just plainly better unless you plan on using it on strange surfaces 

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

laser sucks, has acceleration, prediction, horrid for fps gaming, but for other types its useable i guess :/ optical is just plainly better unless you plan on using it on strange surfaces 

Is the accuracy of an optical any more different than that of a laser?

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Is the accuracy of an optical any more different than that of a laser?

its a huge difference, stuttering is the norm for laser, especially at low dpi 

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

If you want accuracy and having no acceleration on your mouse, I would recommend going for a optical mouse since laser sensors generally have acceleration (but some companies like Logitech claim that their laser sensor has a Delta Zero technology which keeps acceleration to a minimum and being accurate). I currently own a G500S and through my regular use and gaming I do not experience acceleration on the mouse but others may have other opinions in terms of its acceleration. A laser sensor can track on more surfaces unlike an optical sensor.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If you want accuracy and having no acceleration on your mouse, I would recommend going for a optical mouse since laser sensors generally have acceleration (but some companies like Logitech claim that their laser sensor has a Delta Zero technology which keeps acceleration to a minimum and being accurate). I currently own a G500S and through my regular use and gaming I do not experience acceleration on the mouse but others may have other opinions in terms of its acceleration. A laser sensor can track on more surfaces unlike an optical sensor.

If only the G602 had hyperscrolling, then it would be the perfect mouse.

Laser is technically more accurate than IR led since the sensor captures images of just a dot instead of an area. However, in practical terms laser optical is less accurate than IR led optical as it suffers from acceleration issues and others. As such, the best option as of now is an optical mouse; Logitech has an excellent one, the g502 with nearly identical shape.

Optical is generally considered the way to go, at least for competitive players. I understand that lazer works on more surfaces, but honestly, if you're spending decent money on a mouse, pretty good chance it's not too much of a problem to spend $20 on a decent mousepad, which you can take with you and get a more consistent experience anyway

I think Linus did mention something in a review of one of the mice he did not too long ago, something about how gimmicky the high-end mouse market was

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

And it is terrible. The amount of misinformation in it actually pissed me off, because someone ended up coming to this forum having wasted their money on the wrong mouse because of that video, asking wtf was up. I'm really surprised it's still up, actually.

In the past it was easier for laser mice to reach much higher DPI than optical mice, but more recently optical are catching up and breaking 6000 commonly. Im looking at getting a razer deathadder and it stands out from many others because it's an optical.