Z97 Adaptive voltage setting

Go to solution Solved by Queek,

That voltage isn't for the turbo mode, thats the vid for the base clock and anything below it which you shouldnt touch.

The offset shifts the ratio/voltage plot (preset on the motherboard) up or down.  i.e. if the auto setting was 1.050V at 42, an offset of +0.010V would give you a vcore of 1.060V at 42 (ideally).  This is probably best demonstrated with images.  This is what you get when you set the OC Voltage to 1.300V and the Offset to 0V:

adaptivevoltage.png

Note the graph on the left side, showing a preset ratio/voltage curve.  The OC voltage increases the right (high ratio) part of the graph, but leaves the rest of the curve at default.  

If you try to use offset, this is what happens:

adaptivevoltageoffset.png

Although the total voltage at the end is the same (OC voltage 1.050V + Offset voltage 0.250V = 1.300V), the entire curve is shifted vertically, resulting in overvolting across the entire multiplier range.  This also doesn't seem to explain the whole picture, because if you start running a stress test with these settings, the voltage jumps up to 1.370V.  

The bottom line is:

Set your offset voltage (0.001V is fine), and adjust it if you run into instability issues.  

For instance, I know my 1.290V overclock is good under load (through manual voltage overclocking), but I ran into instability during general use.  To fix this, I set my offset voltage to 0.010V but left my OC voltage at 1.290V.  Since then I haven't had any problems, so I assume it improved the stability over the ramping region of the ratio/volts curve.  

Curious, after watching the latest devils canyon overclocking video from Linus how you would configure adaptive. I understand that its meant to be a stronger solution then offset voltages and I understand that this setting is setup so that your processor has time to breath. However you still have to set a off set voltage. How do you determine what to set it to? Or would you just set it to what Linus did in the video at + 0.050. Just curious after a itch to upgrade I ended up purchasing a 4790k and a Asus z97 Hero board so I just wanted to know a bit more with adaptive before I take the plunge.

I'm a noob in overclocking and having troubles myself but here's what I think:
you set your core voltage (let's say) to 1.250V and your offset to 0.050V then it'll let the voltage go up to 1.300V
so your core+offset adds up in "boost mode" if it needs to. this way you can give your core voltage some "occasional headroom"
but I may be completely wrong

I'm a noob in overclocking and having troubles myself but here's what I think:

you set your core voltage (let's say) to 1.250V and your offset to 0.050V then it'll let the voltage go up to 1.300V

so your core+offset adds up in "boost mode" if it needs to. this way you can give your core voltage some "occasional headroom"

but I may be completely wrong

That has sound logic to me. 

@calarahil

@namivanmar

I recently set this up on my Z97 board (ASUS Maximus VII Gene).  There is a preset voltage ramp that your motherboard has when you get it that allows the voltage to be changed based on the multiplier that is currently active (this allows your motherboard to conserve power by lowering both voltage and cpu multiplier).  

Where Adaptive overclocking comes into play is adding additional voltage to the top of this curve (increasing it's endpoint).  Ideally, you set your OC Voltage to the value that you determine from manual overclocking (ex. using manual voltage I found that my CPU does 4.6 GHz at 1.290V).  So I put 1.290V into the "OC Voltage" setting, and it will apply that voltage at a multiplier of 46, and it will still use the power saving features that are stock on the board.  

If you find that you have instability, you can shift this curve up or down with the "Offset Voltage", which will apply a set voltage modifier across the whole multiplier range.  Most people will probably find that they won't need to use the offset feature for this (I expect).  

Long story short: overclock and validate (stress test) using MANUAL VOLTAGE ONLY (use AIDA64 or Intel Burn Test).  Once you have a stable overclock, put that voltage into "OC Voltage" (or your motherboard's equivalent), and you have an adaptive overclock.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

@calarahil

@namivanmar

I recently set this up on my Z97 board (ASUS Maximus VII Gene).  There is a preset voltage ramp that your motherboard has when you get it that allows the voltage to be changed based on the multiplier that is currently active (this allows your motherboard to conserve power by lowering both voltage and cpu multiplier).  

Where Adaptive overclocking comes into play is adding additional voltage to the top of this curve (increasing it's endpoint).  Ideally, you set your OC Voltage to the value that you determine from manual overclocking (ex. using manual voltage I found that my CPU does 4.6 GHz at 1.290V).  So I put 1.290V into the "OC Voltage" setting, and it will apply that voltage at a multiplier of 46, and it will still use the power saving features that are stock on the board.  

If you find that you have instability, you can shift this curve up or down with the "Offset Voltage", which will apply a set voltage modifier across the whole multiplier range.  Most people will probably find that they won't need to use the offset feature for this (I expect).  

Long story short: overclock and validate (stress test) using MANUAL VOLTAGE ONLY (use AIDA64 or Intel Burn Test).  Once you have a stable overclock, put that voltage into "OC Voltage" (or your motherboard's equivalent), and you have an adaptive overclock.  

Right that makes sense but it have a spot for a offset of voltage would you ever have to touch this or would you leave on a setting like +0.050 or even auto.

Right that makes sense but it have a spot for a offset of voltage would you ever have to touch this or would you leave on a setting like +0.050 or even auto.

I think that setting the offset voltage to a specific value is a good idea.  "Auto" settings tend to get carried away with the voltage that they supply.  You can't set it to 0V, but you can set it to 0.001V.  I ran into some instability issues, so I'm running with 0.010V right now.  

I believe that in the bios, the "OC Voltage" that I mentioned above appears as "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage".  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Offset mode sign: + (dont touch)
CPU core voltage offset: Auto (dont touch)
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: Give here the vcore you want under full load eg 1.25V and it should automatically set Total Adaptive mode CPU core voltage to 1.25V as well.

If you want a video (@ 7:25)

http://youtu.be/Z7zPu9255ZI?t=7m25s

CPU core voltage offset: Auto (dont touch)

I tend to disagree with this.  I found that leaving that on Auto resulted in higher voltages than I wanted or needed.  

I tend to disagree with this.  I found that leaving that on Auto resulted in higher voltages than I wanted or needed.  

That voltage isn't for the turbo mode, thats the vid for the base clock and anything below it which you shouldnt touch.

The offset shifts the ratio/voltage plot (preset on the motherboard) up or down.  i.e. if the auto setting was 1.050V at 42, an offset of +0.010V would give you a vcore of 1.060V at 42 (ideally).  This is probably best demonstrated with images.  This is what you get when you set the OC Voltage to 1.300V and the Offset to 0V:

adaptivevoltage.png

Note the graph on the left side, showing a preset ratio/voltage curve.  The OC voltage increases the right (high ratio) part of the graph, but leaves the rest of the curve at default.  

Although the total voltage at the end is the same (OC voltage 1.050V + Offset voltage 0.250V = 1.300V), the entire curve is shifted vertically, resulting in overvolting across the entire multiplier range.  This also doesn't seem to explain the whole picture, because if you start running a stress test with these settings, the voltage jumps up to 1.370V.  

The bottom line is:

Set your offset voltage (0.001V is fine), and adjust it if you run into instability issues.  

For instance, I know my 1.290V overclock is good under load (through manual voltage overclocking), but I ran into instability during general use.  To fix this, I set my offset voltage to 0.010V but left my OC voltage at 1.290V.  Since then I haven't had any problems, so I assume it improved the stability over the ramping region of the ratio/volts curve.  

adaptivevoltage.png

The bottom line is:

Okay so I think I got it tell me if I'm wrong. So basically you have your voltage set to 1.29 volts the additional offset volts you do have gives your processor the breathing room of that extra +.001v's correct? So you manually test to find your stable voltage then you turn around set up adaptive and put in a offset for example with yours the +0.001v to give your processor the breathing room and ensure some power savings.

I hate all those choices! Adaptive mode, offset mode, ring voltages.

There's so much more stuff otehr than multiplyer and voltage but nobody ever tells you what it is!

"Adaptive mode controls you voltages adaptiveley so your Haswell CPU can get to those lower C-states - hurrdurr - don't touch it!"

"Offset mode takes your current voltages and bums them up a notch - hurrdurr - don't touch it"

Well BULLSHIZZ!!!

When i use the adaptive equivalent on my MSI board on my 4670K @ 4.2 GHz it just ramps up the volts to whatevery it thinks is reasonable (1.35V).

Offset mode is a complete turd. I tell it to use a offset of 0.1 Volts (stock volts were 1.1V) (i already get a red warning indicator). You would expect it ramps up all volts by 0.1V..... WRONG!!! It adds whatever the heck it wants! (1.4V)

Manual mode is retarded.

The best solution so far is OC Genie with it's auto overclock to 4.2 GHz @ 1.3V.

In my manual runs i got 4,2 out of 1.2V but who runs manual mode?

CPU overclocking is bullshit and nobody properly explains it to you ever! stick with GPU overclocking, that actually yields some FPS.

[/rant][/butthurt]

who cares...

Use manual voltage when stress testing to find your highest stable overclock.

Put it back to adaptive when you're finished.

Not that difficult...

While I appreciate your feedback you aren't being constructive and not helping. Don't post or participate in a forum if you are going to turn around and insult people for trying to understand and work with others to help them as well as help yourself.

I hate all those choices! Adaptive mode, offset mode, ring voltages.

There's so much more stuff otehr than multiplyer and voltage but nobody ever tells you what it is!

"Adaptive mode controls you voltages adaptiveley so your Haswell CPU can get to those lower C-states - hurrdurr - don't touch it!"

"Offset mode takes your current voltages and bums them up a notch - hurrdurr - don't touch it"

Well BULLSHIZZ!!!

When i use the adaptive equivalent on my MSI board on my 4670K @ 4.2 GHz it just ramps up the volts to whatevery it thinks is reasonable (1.35V).

Offset mode is a complete turd. I tell it to use a offset of 0.1 Volts (stock volts were 1.1V) (i already get a red warning indicator). You would expect it ramps up all volts by 0.1V..... WRONG!!! It adds whatever the heck it wants! (1.4V)

Manual mode is retarded.

The best solution so far is OC Genie with it's auto overclock to 4.2 GHz @ 1.3V.

In my manual runs i got 4,2 out of 1.2V but who runs manual mode?

CPU overclocking is bullshit and nobody properly explains it to you ever! stick with GPU overclocking, that actually yields some FPS.

[/rant][/butthurt]

I'm a bit weary about auto overclocks while some companies may have a good method for this I still believe the best thing to do is to understand your system and do it manually.

While I appreciate your feedback you aren't being constructive and not helping. Don't post or participate in a forum if you are going to turn around and insult people for trying to understand and work with others to help them as well as help yourself.

Yeah, i can't see where i insulted you, ocing isn't some voodoo blackmagic, that's literally what i do when ocing.

Use manual voltage so that when you're stress testing, your cpu doesn't ask for too much voltage.

When you've found your highest stable oc that you're happy with, put it back onto adaptive mode so that you can take advantage of all the power saving options. Ignore offset voltage mode..

Okay so I think I got it tell me if I'm wrong. So basically you have your voltage set to 1.29 volts the additional offset volts you do have gives your processor the breathing room of that extra +.001v's correct? So you manually test to find your stable voltage then you turn around set up adaptive and put in a offset for example with yours the +0.001v to give your processor the breathing room and ensure some power savings.

Yeah that's pretty much it.  The offset is to allow for a little more voltage across all multipliers while it's power saving.  

The +0.001V is because the bios doesn't let me set 0.000V

There are guides out there that go through step-by-step what each setting does.  For example, this Haswell overclocking guide (found by a quick google search).  Many people just don't have the patience to read and follow them.  

Adaptive overclocking is a great feature, and way better than manual voltage.  My 3930K overclock is really, really hot, and there are many days that I wish there was an adaptive overclock setting for that overclock.  

I'm a bit weary about auto overclocks while some companies may have a good method for this I still believe the best thing to do is to understand your system and do it manually.

Exactly. That's why i want to achieve my own, adaptive overclock. Maybe I'll manage to plan in some time for that this season.

Yeah that's pretty much it.  The offset is to allow for a little more voltage across all multipliers while it's power saving.  

There are guides out there that go through step-by-step what each setting does.  For example, this Haswell overclocking guide (found by a quick google search).  Many people just don't have the patience to read and follow them.  

Adaptive overclocking is a great feature, and way better than manual voltage.  My 3930K overclock is really, really hot, and there are many days that I wish there was an adaptive overclock setting for that overclock.  

Yes i already bookmarked the one on this forum, will check that one out once i get my PC to my parents house. :D

who cares...

Yeah, i can't see where i insulted you, ocing isn't some voodoo blackmagic, that's literally what i do when ocing.

Use manual voltage so that when you're stress testing, your cpu doesn't ask for too much voltage.

When you've found your highest stable oc that you're happy with, put it back onto adaptive mode so that you can take advantage of all the power saving options. Ignore offset voltage mode..

The language you used was quite dismissive of me trying to find out more information regarding the subject matter. You used the line it isn't that hard and placed dots after which normally signifies a /facepalm type response.

You've been super helpful. I only really plan on overclocking to 4.6 or so the boost of a 4790k is 4.4 so I figure a 200 mhz overclock is pretty obtainable even with the silicon lottery.

You been super helpful. I only really plan on overclocking to 4.6 or so the boost of a 4790k is 4.4 so I figure a 200 mhz overclock is pretty obtainable even with the silicon lottery.

You should be able to get 4.6 with little effort.  I bet with a bit more trial and error, you could even get that CPU higher, but maybe that will be for a later time  :)

You should be able to get 4.6 with little effort.  I bet with a bit more trial and error, you could even get that CPU higher, but maybe that will be for a later time  :)

you've my bad :x yea I probably could but I want it to last a good while 4.6 ghz should get me by for quite some time :P