what bothers you in proposed builds?

Mooshi

The constant undeserved popularity of Fractal cases. They just look like you aren't even trying.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The constant undeserved popularity of Fractal cases. They just look like you aren't even trying.

Why? Some people don't care if they have a box for a case, and the Fractal's are as functional and high quality as any other brand.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

My biggest beef would be builds that are made up entirely of sale items.

"would you like a boat anchor to go with your sale-boat sir?"

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Why? Some people don't care if they have a box for a case, and the Fractal's are as functional and high quality as any other brand.

I just think it looks lazy. Like any OEM from the store case would have worked just as well. Why do something custom, and make it look like a plain metal box? Make it look like you actually tried. That's all, I just think things should look pretty and not plain, which is how fractal cases look.

I just think it looks lazy. Like any OEM from the store case would have worked just as well. Why do something custom, and make it look like a plain metal box? Make it look like you actually tried. That's all, I just think things should look pretty and not plain, which is how fractal cases look.

Unless you have the window mod....if not then I completely agree...that's why I like my windows so much on my cases....lighting...watercooling...you know the works.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

The bandwidth and storage spent by PCpartpicker.com for trolled builds that will never see the light of day. Not to mention those pointless what's the most expensive build builds, pay me to build and I can make it the most you'll ever spend and that's for an i3 build :P

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Unless you have the window mod....if not then I completely agree...that's why I like my windows so much on my cases....lighting...watercooling...you know the works.

See now that I can agree with, but most fractal cases just look like you set newegg or whatever to mid/full tower, cheapest first, and threw a dart

See now that I can agree with, but most fractal cases just look like you set newegg or whatever to mid/full tower, cheapest first, and threw a dart

Most cases in general without a window look like that tho....but my dads gateway computer looks cleaner then the R4 without a window....gateway

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

They're also cheap...

I'm going to disagree with that until they come out with a case that doesn't have those stupid screw on side panels.

That's why I like corsair. They put latches on that make it easy to remove the side panel but are not flimsy, like NZXT's tilting screw system.

#1 for me PSU... People always say just get  550 watt  when the system will be drawing 500 watts @ stock  they always forget about overclocking and adding extra stuff   ..Think about head room people 

Considering that a GTX 480 + core i7 build uses probably 420 watts or so (forget the exact number but it's around there, source is anandtech), 550 watts is fine unless you're using SLI.

They're also cheap...

I'm going to disagree with that until they come out with a case that doesn't have those stupid screw on side panels.

That's why I like corsair. They put latches on that make it easy to remove the side panel but are not flimsy, like NZXT's tilting screw system.

Actually NZXT, Corsair, & Phanteks are my top case brands.

Cases are always subjective, one you find good will be absolutely hideous to someone else. Like someone who wants a box. What's wrong with wanting a box for a case?

I had a RAIDMAX case that had no screws on the side panel. If I had known that meant good quality heck I would have kept it after it actually fell apart.

Everyone that is wanting an i7 apparently does video editing. Guess what I do it too but I don't need an i7 most of the people doesn't

lol half of those "video editors" are small youtubers with maybe 10 subscribers that think "Oh, I've hit the big leagues now so I have to get a 4960x!"

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Actually NZXT, Corsair, & Phanteks are my top case brands.

NZXT seems to have improved since the days of the old piece of garbage known as the phantom.

Do their newer cases still use the screw latch thing?

Phanteks still uses the screw on side panels, which is disappointing.

I had a RAIDMAX case that had no screws on the side panel. If I had known that meant good quality heck I would have kept it after it actually fell apart.

Did it have screwless side panels that weren't flimsy?

NZXT seems to have improved since the days of the old piece of garbage known as the phantom.

Do their newer cases still use the screw latch thing?

Phanteks still uses the screw on side panels, which is disappointing.

Did it have screwless side panels that weren't flimsy?

NZXT new cases still use screws....and phanteks does but their water cooling capacity is just simply amazing.

NZXT new cases still use screws....and phanteks does but their water cooling capacity is just simply amazing.

The Water cooling capacity of some of the NZXT cases was also impressive. I have an i7 2600k, so I don't have much use for a $300+ water cooling setup, so I don't usually look for cases with those features. I usually just look for something that will be easy to build in and to change parts for.

Does NZXT have that thing where the middle screw acts like a tilting latch still? The side panel was really loose on the original phantom when it was all you had to hold the side panel on.

Suggesting faster, more expensive ram in systems with dedicated CPU and GPU. 

Suggesting more expensive CPU with lower-end GPU for a strictly gaming build on a tight budget.

People who don't read the original post. 

Suggesting overkill PSUs or low-quality PSUs.

Suggesting overkill motherboards.

Suggesting WD HDD instead of the equivalent Seagate HDD claiming Seagates are less reliable. There are two main reasons why many people still make such claims and both have long since been laid to rest. Research people, research.

Suggesting K-CPUs with non-Z motherboards and non-K CPUs with Z motherboards.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The two things that drives me crazy when people are giving people advice on pc builds is 1. Don't use the stock CPU cooler. That is fine if you are not OC but people seen to think the the stock cpu cooler is worthless and always recommend getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. 2. is not recommending spreading thermal paste. Yes I know that there are people the swear you don't spread thermal paste, and yes I have seen that Tek Syndicate video of him putting that plastic on the cpu with thermal paste and it creating air bubbles. But that plastic doesn't simulate the amount of pressure that the heatsink has on the cpu it will not create air bubbles. What you do is you put a small drop on the CPU and put a piece of scotch tape on your finger. With the not sticky side you spread the thermal paste in a thin even layer all over the CPU. Then you don't have to worry about the paste not getting on the entire CPU or the paste getting on the motherboard and shorting something out. Watch Carey Holzmen on Youtube this is a method he uses and he's been build computers since the 80's https://www.youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman But those are my two biggest computer building advice gripes. A third would be people who try to use the smallest power supply possible. I like to get one that is bigger then I need for upgrade room like SLI/Crossfire in the future or overclocking. A fourth would be the Intel fanboys that say AMD cpu's are bad.

Suggesting faster, more expensive ram in systems with dedicated CPU and GPU. 

Suggesting more expensive CPU with lower-end GPU for a strictly gaming build on a tight budget.

People who don't read the original post. 

Suggesting overkill PSUs or low-quality PSUs.

Suggesting overkill motherboards.

Suggesting WD HDD instead of the equivalent Seagate HDD claiming Seagates are less reliable. There are two main reasons why many people still make such claims and both have long since been laid to rest. Research people, research.

Suggesting K-CPUs with non-Z motherboards and non-K CPUs with Z motherboards.

To be fair, there are plenty of people who do the reverse: Suggest Seagate HDD and claim that WD are less reliable. The truth is that both are just as reliable as each other, and that you should buy whichever is the cheapest for a given HDD type and size, or go for whichever one has the longest warranty if that matters to the user.

For the second bit, there are actually plenty of compelling reasons to have a Z-class motherboard with a non-K CPU. For example, getting the wireless or upgraded onboard audio or some other features, yet having no interest in overclocking. While there are choices in the B and H class motherboards, often the Z-class boards are the only choice if you want a particular feature, or even colour scheme. Not everyone cares about overclocking.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The two things that drives me crazy when people are giving people advice on pc builds is 1. Don't use the stock CPU cooler. That is fine if you are not OC but people seen to think the the stock cpu cooler is worthless and always recommend getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. 2. is not recommending spreading thermal paste. Yes I know that there are people the swear you don't spread thermal paste, and yes I have seen that Tek Syndicate video of him putting that plastic on the cpu with thermal paste and it creating air bubbles. But that plastic doesn't simulate the amount of pressure that the heatsink has on the cpu it will not create air bubbles. What you do is you put a small drop on the CPU and put a piece of scotch tape on your finger. With the not sticky side you spread the thermal paste in a thin even layer all over the CPU. Then you don't have to worry about the paste not getting on the entire CPU or the paste getting on the motherboard and shorting something out. Watch Carey Holzmen on Youtube this is a method he uses and he's been build computers since the 80's https://www.youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman But those are my two biggest computer building advice gripes. A third would be people who try to use the smallest power supply possible. I like to get one that is bigger then I need for upgrade room like SLI/Crossfire in the future or overclocking. A fourth would be the Intel fanboys that say AMD cpu's are bad.

Can you please try and use paragraphs or something? This block of text is hard to look at :P and your points are difficult to understand

Anyway, if I am understanding you correctly, for #1 assuming you're saying that stock cooler is fine for non-OC environments: I totally agree - however, the Evo 212 is so cheap that as long as there's an extra $30 (or less if on sale) in the budget that won't otherwise be best used elsewhere, there's really no harm in getting one.

#2 I disagree with you here. While yes, spreading the thermal paste probably isn't likely to create air bubbles, it is still definitely possible. There is absolutely no harm in using the line or pea method and letting the heatsink spread out the thermal paste. If done correctly, it will create a better coating then spreading it out would, even with your scotch tape method.

In fact the biggest risk of thermal paste is people using TOO MUCH, especially those that spread it out manually.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To be fair, there are plenty of people who do the reverse: Suggest Seagate HDD and claim that WD are less reliable. The truth is that both are just as reliable as each other, and that you should buy whichever is the cheapest for a given HDD type and size, or go for whichever one has the longest warranty if that matters to the user.

For the second bit, there are actually plenty of compelling reasons to have a Z-class motherboard with a non-K CPU. For example, getting the wireless or upgraded onboard audio or some other features, yet having no interest in overclocking. While there are choices in the B and H class motherboards, often the Z-class boards are the only choice if you want a particular feature, or even colour scheme. Not everyone cares about overclocking.

With regards to the HDD's, I agree with you completely and that's my point. Buy which ever is on sale or costs less - they are equally reliable. I probably should have elaborated more on that in the first place. But I see far too often people still claiming Seagate HDDs, specifically, are unreliable when it's simply not true. It was one run of 1.5TB drives only (Which Seagate has acknowledged and since addressed), and the infamous Backblaze HDD reliability study performed a while back - which has since been scrutinized and rendered inaccurate due to improper methodology. Linus actually spoke about this on the WAN show many months ago and how Seagate's reputation has been unfairly tainted by said study. 

For sure if someone needs a specific feature only found on certain specific Z motherboards, then by all means. But that is a more unusual scenario. I've seen quite a few people suggest builds and include a Z board just because they simply thought it was necessary for a "gaming rig".

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

People who put way more RAM than they actually need in their proposed build

In my build log, the second response was..."Only 8Gb?" Even though i had clearly written that the RAM was already owned from a previous build and i have no need to have any more...

Can you please try and use paragraphs or something? This block of text is hard to look at :P and your points are difficult to understand

#2 I disagree with you here. While yes, spreading the thermal paste probably isn't likely to create air bubbles, it is still definitely possible. There is absolutely no harm in using the line or pea method and letting the heatsink spread out the thermal paste. If done correctly, it will create a better coating then spreading it out would, even with your scotch tape method.

In fact the biggest risk of thermal paste is people using TOO MUCH, especially those that spread it out manually.

+1 on using paragraphs. lol. ;)

Also +1 on the thermal paste. Pea or line method is best. I have FAR less experience than Corey Holzman, but I have no issue disagreeing with his method on this and I'd stand there and argue with him straight to his face (politely, lol). I'm not arguing the spread method doesn't work, but rather it's just not optimal with regards to eliminating air bubbles/pockets.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

#1 for me PSU... People always say just get  550 watt  when the system will be drawing 500 watts @ stock  they always forget about overclocking and adding extra stuff   ..Think about head room people 

# 2 someone ask for GPU upgrade and 99% of the time every answer is .. you system is junk or out dated even though its only a year old and they still yell out " you need a i5 +mobo +ram +SSD "  you go from wanting to spend $250-$350 for new gpu to $1500 + for a system .. Not all people are going to play BF4 . People forget not all people have the extra money for a full upgrade 

#2 especially...