Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Microsoft Wants You to Forget Windows 8

hen you have, the default Start screen layout sucks really badep (of the idea and concept of the OS, see my complaints above), or process (as mentioned above as well), it would have been a lot better.

You hate the start screen ? Waouh, never thought GoodBytes will ever say such stuff about Windows 8.1. O_o

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

You hate the start screen ? Waouh, never thought GoodBytes will ever say such stuff about Windows 8.1. O_o

Start screen default layout, I hate.

But I don't hate the Start Screen in itself.

Once you actually pin folders, and start organizing things, then it is a joy to use.

Windows 8.1 on phones is stunning by design but thats all,it doesn´t have a lot of custom settings and its just like they didnt even try to make it more enjoyable to the end user,im curently using nokia lumia 630 and i can tell you im not very much enjoying it

Start screen default layout, I hate.

But I don't hate the Start Screen in itself.

Once you actually pin folders, and start organizing things, then it is a joy to use.

I was thinking about putting together a piece about the start screen usefulness, have you already done that or should we get into it ? DM me so we can collaborate more effectively.

I was thinking about putting together a piece about the start screen usefulness, have you already done that or should we get into it ? DM me so we can collaborate more effectively.

I did talk about it here and there, but nothing official, or really complete.

The main points I noticed that people don't get, is that you can customize it, and they see as large distance required to travel with the mouse, not understanding that the targets are easier, and the point is to organize icons from the bottom left to the top right, where the most used tiles are at the bottom left and least used top right. And you have the task bar to pin your most used programs.

Hopefully they'll still remember the core idea of Metro UI - to unify they're Desktop, Mobile, and TV interfaces in some way. Metro is great on mobile and probably the best interface for TV's (with a controller), and windows 9 seems to be doing a good job properly using the widgets.

That being said, Windows 8 (the UI), was compelte garbage. I don't know how it got released without anybody thinking that maybe it was a bad idea.

Never forget the crimes they have made

vista 2007

win 8  2012

I actually like VISTA

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I did talk about it here and there, but nothing official, or really complete.

The main points I noticed that people don't get, is that you can customize it, and they see as large distance required to travel with the mouse, not understanding that the targets are easier, and the point is to organize icons from the bottom left to the top right, where the most used tiles are at the bottom left and least used top right. And you have the task bar to pin your most used programs.

I agree on it, though about the project, you're most known as the Windows fanboy, i thought you've probably done, seem to not be the case. :P

Anyway, i'll give you a hand whenever needed, cheers man.

I agree on it, though about the project, you're most known as the Windows fanboy, i thought you've probably done, seem to not be the case. :P

Anyway, i'll give you a hand whenever needed, cheers man.

That's one of the "nicer" names he's known by - Unjustifiably I might add. Some people just decide to hate on someone because that person is passionate about a piece of technology that they hate.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

*NIX OS's have had workspace switching for how long? Fucking dropped. I can't wait for the new Macbook Air to come out, Windows for the consumer is doomed.

Linux had it back in late 90's. I don't know an exact date, but Gnome 1 had it, and that was back in 1999.

Windows had it 1996 with Windows NT4.

So technically, Windows had it first, or the same time.

Microsoft has literally no design sense what so ever. These screenshots look god-awful.

Next time you start creating something, the moment you start, we will all say that to you.

Linux had it back in late 90's. I don't know an exact date, but Gnome 1 had it, and that was back in 1999.

Windows had it 1996 with Windows NT4.

So technically, Windows had it first, or the same time.

Great, but what about XP, Vista, 7, 8? That was a rhetorical question, OSX and GNU/Linux OS's are so far ahead of Microsoft and they will never catch up [from a technical standpoint].

Next time you start creating something, the moment you start, we will all say that to you.

I don't have to be a professional chef in order to have an opinion on whether or not something tastes like shit.

Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company, they can afford to put people in place to put some intelligent and effective thought into design.

Great, but what about XP, Vista, 7, 8? That was a rhetorical question, OSX and GNU/Linux OS's are so far ahead of Microsoft and they will never catch up [from a technical standpoint].

Microsoft introduced the APIs in NT4, that is also when you had a burst of free and paying multiple virtual desktop applications that appeared. Windows XP had it:

apcnewsdesktops_238x179_main1.jpg1.jpg

It was part of XP PowerToy pack of added free software (like Windows Essentials back in Windows 7).

Virtual Desktop software are quite unpopular, so Microsoft didn't bother making it for Vista, Win7, Win8, but the APIs still there and updated. So if you are interested in that feature, you have many software that will perfectly work under Win7 and 8, because the APIs are there and maintained.

Microsoft collects telemetry data. If they see something no longer being used, they remove it. Its simple as that.

Microsoft removed DVD playback, and Media Center as both are no longer used. Systems these days don't even come with an optical drive. Desktops users rarely use theirs.

It looks like this time Microsoft will try again. Maybe they saw that now it will be a feature more interesting to more people. If not, then don't expect it to survive in Windows 10.

I don't have to be a professional chef in order to have an opinion on whether or not something tastes like shit.

The moment you can comment is when the work is done. The same way you don't criticize a book author the moment he or she writes the first word of a story, let alone even a draft version of the story.

Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company, they can afford to put people in place to put some intelligent and effective thought into design.

Microsoft is not Apple. Function before Form. The GUI is about ~10% of what an OS is. It is a very complicated peace of software, that cost less than many what is referred as "big" software that people have no problem buying.

When I program a software, I first do the code. Then I work on the GUI. Not the other way around. The same way, you don't design the look of a paper you are giving in, place the images and graphs you plan to show, and THEN write the content.

Microsoft always leaves the GUI at the very last end.

If Microsoft hates Windows 8 so much, can they give us win 8 users the next windows OS for free?

I have a feeling that this will be the reaction of Microsoft business department, if you say that to them:

Microsoft always leaves the GUI at the very last end.

But your mistake is believing that's a good idea for the end user. You have to start from the user experience and work backwards towards the technology, not the other way around.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

But your mistake is believing that's a good idea for the end user. You have to start from the user experience and work backwards towards the technology, not the other way around.

how do you know that is not what Microsoft is doing?

You know that Windows has multiple branches of builds. This leaked build is from some department. Some other department might have a version that doesn't have the Start Menu, virtual desktop, but have their stuff instead. Even the preview version that will come out will be some branch. Maybe they like surprises, and want to surprise everyone when it comes out. They did that with Windows 8. Windows 8 looked like this, like a 1-2months before officially release. You can't do this massive switch in that time frame, even if you are Microsoft, at least I don't think so, especially considering that Aero has been completely removed. So it is not some sort of color swap they did (else you have tweaks/hacks that would brought it back, but there isn't. All you have is a code injection system where it's some person that coded the Aero effect style himself, and even then it's iffy at best his solution )

7635.image_5F00_07BED3CD.png

Personal note: I actually like the above picture look, I hope they bring it back. But I know most people HATED it. Hence why Microsoft made an article on how ity wont' be like this and are working on a new look, and why the media was pushing designed form other people for Microsoft to make.

Example: http://www.redmondpie.com/this-mockup-brings-metro-to-the-legacy-desktop-in-windows-8-images/

pshh if i were them i would want people to forget too, the fucked up big...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Kingston 8GB // GTX 770 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Razer Blade 14 // iPhone 8 (64GB) // Canon 5D Mark II

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

how do you know that is not what Microsoft is doing?

Because they're a tech-first company. Always have been, until now.

I'm not saying it looks bad, I'm saying that it's not smart to do the UI last. If you truly want your user to have a great experience you solidify the UI first and then implement technology to support it. What you posted below seemed largely irrelevant, I made none nor currently make no claims as to what's happening there internally, I was simply asserting your suggestion that they leave the GUI until the end. You're the one asserting that, not me.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Some people just decide to hate on someone because that person is passionate about a piece of technology that they hate.

You wouldn't believe how often this happens to me though...ridiculous.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /