Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Microsoft Wants You to Forget Windows 8

because the cool kids said it sucked once and now no one wants to be uncool,  we call it the Jah Jah Binks effect, one comedian makes fun of Jah Jah and all of a sudden no one wants to admit they liked his character.

I said Windows 8 sucked before it was cool...

On the topic of Star Wars I don't like Jar Jar Binks because he and his people are racist caricatures of Caribbean people. I don't find racist caricatures particularly funny, and any comedian that uses him evidently doesn't realize why Jar Jar Binks was a bad character.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

i don't see any problem with windows 8(.1), it's better and more efficient than windows 7 ("win+X" is awesome),

well at least after installing Classic Shell and disable any option to Metro interface.

can people please tell me why they dont like windows 8/8.1 admittedly i never liked it when i had it on a prebuilt system but then i built my own and reinstalled windows 8.1. After you get round the metro ui its just like windows 7 in my opinion. 

also using classic shell to get a proper start menu back makes it a lot better and makes the metro ui redundant?? for me i cant find any other problems although i dont know a great deal about it all haha :) 

Tbh, I find that windows 8 works great, the desktop version is basically windows 7 with a few graphical improvements. Metro annoys me a lot, but it can also be fully avoided once you download start is back and boot to desktop.

INTEL I7 4790K @4.6Ghz |  ASUS Z97-A  |  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16gb | NVIDIA GTX 780 | NZXT H440 White | CORSAIR RM750 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | WD Caviar Black 1TB | LIQUID COOLED |

Windows 8 is good.  Windows 7 is good enough.  I didn't switch on my main rig but my wifes gaming laptop came with it.  Metro UI sucks but M$ was gambling that we'd all demand touch screens on everything all the time.  They lost that gamble.  On a tablet it would be fine but as a desktop user interface it's not efficient.  And now...back on topic.  M$ has always done this in the event of a new system release.  Here's something new and shiny.  Forget that old crap this is more better.  Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.  It's only in their financial interests to do this.  It's so M$.  But most importantly THIS ISN'T NEWS.  It's history repeating itself.  Again.

Laws only govern the honest.

Windows 8 is not at all good. I am not complaining about Metro. I am saying its terrible Disk Usage and other Resource Usage in some scenarios. Hoper next OS don't do it.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Windows 8 is not at all good. I am not complaining about Metro. I am saying its terrible Disk Usage and other Resource Usage in some scenarios. Hoper next OS don't do it.

Disk usage and resource usage (which I am assuming you mean RAM and CPU), would translate in reduction of battery life of the system (well not RAM, but if Win8 does consume more, then the system needs more memory, which can potentially decrease battery life, all depending on the RAM dimms specs, and the number of them).

Sadly, Windows 8 has been shown on all systems that increase battery life, and consume less resources then Windows 7.

I actually think Windows 8 is the best version of Windows that has ever been released. Performance-wise, it's miles ahead of Win 7; it just happened to start its cycle with a crap interface.

Disk usage and resource usage (which I am assuming you mean RAM and CPU), would translate in reduction of battery life of the system (well not RAM, but if Win8 does consume more, then the system needs more memory, which can potentially decrease battery life, all depending on the RAM dimms specs, and the number of them).Sadly, Windows 8 has been shown on all systems that increase battery life, and consume less resources then Windows 7.

Whatever. The greatest problem is the high disk usage both on my laptop as well as desktop. Just Google it.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Whatever. The greatest problem is the high disk usage both on my laptop as well as desktop. Just Google it.

how much is high? this is the first time I have heard of disk usage being a problem, I have heard people complain about the footprint being larger but to be honest I run a 120G drive and don't have issues with running out of space.

are we talking 10's of gigabytes and up?

EDIT: or are you talking about access usage, either way I'm still interested to hear what the issue is.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

how much is high? this is the first time I have heard of disk usage being a problem, I have heard people complain about the footprint being larger but to be honest I run a 120G drive and don't have issues with running out of space.

are we talking 10's of gigabytes and up?

EDIT: or are you talking about access usage, either way I'm still interested to hear what the issue is.

I meant access usage. Most of the time the HDD Usage light keeps on lit.

Here's are some examples:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-keeps-slows-down-to-100-disk-usage-and/cd787f8d-e7b4-4872-aecb-6f0cd15ad942

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2045646/windows-100-disk-usage.html

interesting, it seems a few people have the same problem but for different reasons.  Anyone know what the rate of this issue is?

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Ballmer was a giant shithead who oversaw two dead-on-arrival Windows releases - one on his way in and another turd on his way out as a final 'fuck you'. I really think this was a bad spell for MS that the company can move past and hopefully learn from.

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HETEPSENUSRET

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (CPUMark ~16,018)  RAM: 4× 16GiB G.Skill Trident Z DIMMs, CL16 @ 3200MHz  Motherboard: AORUS X399 Extreme GPU: XFX RX 580 + Zotac GeForce 1050 Ti + XFX RX 560 4GB Storage: 2× 1TB Plextor M8Pe PCIe NVMe SSDs + 4× 6TB Seagate IronWolf Pro HDDs  PSU: SeaSonic PRIME 1000W 80+ Titanium modular ATX unit ∫ OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64, Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB, & BunsenLabs Helium (Debian derivative)

【RETIRED】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q IPS LCD + 43” 2160p 16:9 LG 43UD79-B IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Classic OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64 + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒ACTIVE】AMENEMHET (Lenovo ThinkPad X240)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4300U (CPUMark ~3,741) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 256GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in TN LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒BROKEN】SENUSRET II (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300U (CPUMark ~5,132) RAM: 16GiB soldered DDR4 RAM Storage: Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD Display: 14” 1440p 16:9 built-in OLED multitouch LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【RETIRED】SENUSRET (Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

【RETIRED】WASET (Sony VAIO)

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

Yea, I need a lot more details about the disk usage.

So far, I am thinking it's more something that was installed on the system, then a genuine copy of Windows 8 being the culprit, else everyone would have the issue, and people would complain about low battery life.

I mean a solution was found on the Tom Hardware issue you link.

To them who can't understand it's sarcasm :)

Read through a few of these comparisons below and I think it will be obvious which operating system is more "user friendly".

Installing Software:

To install a piece of software on Windows you just follow a few easy steps. First you go to the store and buy the software, then you pop the CD into your disc drive, enter the CD key, wait for the software to install itself onto the hard drive, and you are good to go! Be sure to put the CD and key in a safe place in case you ever need to reinstall the software.

On Ubuntu to install a piece of software you open the software center. Type in the name of the software you are looking for (or browse by category), click install, and wait for the software to download and install.

Default Software:

Windows offers a fantastic default software install. Need to write a paper? No worries, Windows has the feature-rich Wordpad. Want to surf the net? Internet Explorer has always provided a safe webrowsing experience.

Ubuntu's default software selection is somewhat disappointing. It has a full featured word processor, spreadsheet editor, and presentation creator. I know most people don't use facebook or twitter, but just in case you do Ubuntu includes Gwibber, a software that fully integrates your social networking with your desktop. For webrowsing Ubuntu only has Firefox and if you want to instant message Ubuntu's Empathy only supports facebook, AIM, yahoo, MSN, IRC...

Adding Hardware:

Windows is the most popular operating system in the world. Almost any piece of hardware you purchase comes with a handy CD for installing the drivers the hardware needs to function properly. Again, keep that CD in a safe place in case you ever reformat or attach the hardware to a different computer.

If you have one of the millions of pieces of hardware that is supported on the Linux platform then 99 times out of 100 once you attach it to your computer it still start functioning right away. What about that hundredth time? Ubuntu will offer to automatically download and install any closed source drivers the hardware needs to function.

System Upkeep:

Upkeep on Windows is easy. Just remember to periodically run your anti-virus program, your anti-spyware program, and don't forget to defragment your computer every couple months. Also a yearly reformat tends to help keep things running smoothly.

Ubuntu? Well there aren't really any viruses for Ubuntu and the filesystem it uses doesn't fragment nearly as much as NTFS does.

Updating the Operating System:

To ensure your operating system is secure, by default, whenever Windows is connected to the internet it will automatically download and install updates without asking. Windows is very through with it's update process. As soon as it is finished updating the system will shutdown, install some more updates, and then possibly install the last bit of the updates and apply configurations the next time the computer boots up.

Ubuntu on the other hand tends to be kind of lazy by default with it's update process. When a new update is available the system asks you if you want to download and install it. Then, it only installs the updates once. I guess Ubuntu just assumes it installed them correctly the first time.

I think I covered all the points that I often hear people complain about when they first start using Ubuntu. Anyone else know of other areas where Ubuntu is still harder to use than Windows?

Forgot to mention the hugely annoying selection of desktop environments compared to Windows one serves-all solution

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Yea, I need a lot more details about the disk usage.So far, I am thinking it's more something that was installed on the system, then a genuine copy of Windows 8 being the culprit, else everyone would have the issue, and people would complain about low battery life.I mean a solution was found on the Tom Hardware issue you link.

interesting, it seems a few people have the same problem but for different reasons.  Anyone know what the rate of this issue is?

That solution didn't worked for me.

But regardless of what others say I like windows 8 And 8.1 I have no issues with the, adapt to new things trust me 100% of the time you won't die 80% of the time.

I won't ever forget it they can't make me and I won't do it! Fuck the system bring it All down!

i find Windows 8 pretty okay... in my experience its faster and more stable than 7 and i love that my desktop contains almost only files and no shortcuts anymore because i have all my program shortcuts on the Start screen.

For me personally I like windows 8.1 for me the fact of the matter is that every new OS they have released has had significant upgrades, even if people don't like them which is fine. I mean I started on windows from the 3.1 onwards and I always look forward to the changes, and yes all versions have had problems. But nothing that has ever made me think "I need to uninstall this". And people that are not very computer literate have no problems with it, people like my dad and young nephews didn't have a problem when they upgraded from 7 to 8 and then to 8.1.

But that said if windows 9 or whatever it is called is a better OS and cheaper I'm happy. Because macs are to expensive for my taste and Linux is just plain horrible, no matter how bad windows may be its far and beyond better in most ways.

i see several people saying that windos vista and 8 are the worst, but 8 isn't that bad, well not much as vista, it's just more for mobiles than for PCs, i guess that a lot of people will jump from 7 to 9(if it is not a mobile windows again)