Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Microsoft Wants You to Forget Windows 8

Posted · Original PosterOP

As talk of the next Windows begins to build and some details of what most are calling for now either Windows 9 or Threshold come into focus, it's worthwhile to take a moment to remember Windows 8. Because Microsoft will want everyone to forget it. And we will.

Unless the Redmond, Wash. technology company radically changes its habits, it will throw Windows 8 down a memory hole even before the successor ships. Just like it made Vista persona non grata in its official messaging in 2009, it will shove Windows 8 so far into the background that we'll need the Hubble telescope to find it.

Not that that's unusual. All companies fake amnesia to a stunning degree, even when what they want to forget -- more importantly, what they want customers to forget -- was once trumpeted with Joshua's band. Ford tossed the Edsel into the don't-mention file, Coca-Cola did the same with New Coke, Apple erased the Performa and Ping from its corporate memory, and IBM would be hard pressed to admit it ever knew the PCjr or OS/2.

There is evidence that Microsoft has begun de-emphasizing Windows 8.

In his mission statement of July 10, CEO Satya Nadella mentioned no specific edition of Windows on the desktop, using simply "Windows" when he wasn't talking about "Windows Phone" or "Windows Server," or relegating Windows to secondary status in the newly-minted Microsoft he envisions. Windows 8 was also AWOL among the speeches Nadella and other Microsoft executives made the following week at the company's Worldwide Partners Conference, and was the subject of just three sessions out of more than 450 offered to attendees.

During this week's earnings call, Nadella referenced "Windows 8.1" just twice, both with the past tense. " In April, we released an update to Windows 8.1," he said of the refresh aimed to mollify enterprise users.

That's no surprise: Not only has Microsoft acknowledged that its share of all computing devices -- smartphones, tablets, personal computers -- now hovers at 14%, a far cry from its near monopoly as late as 2010, but the company certainly understands how poorly Windows 8 has performed even within the small segment composed of desktop and notebook computers.

The newer OS has outsold Vista, certainly, about 31% better according to calculations based on stated sales milestones that were then turned into per-month figures for Windows 8's first 16 months and Vista's first 19. But Windows 8 has lagged far behind its predecessor, Windows 7. The latter bested Windows 8 by 113% on a per-month basis calculated for its first 15 months.

Estimates from analytics firm Net Applications confirm that disparity between Windows 7 and Windows 8. When both have been judged at the same points in their respective post-release timelines, Windows 7 consistently accounted for more than twice the total active Windows user share of Windows 8.

Windows 8 has led in percentage of total Windows user share over Vista, but not by much: Last month, in fact, Windows 8's lead over Vista at the same point in each editions' career was the smallest ever, only two-tenths of one percent

To ease Windows 8 into the past, Microsoft will likely make little, if any, noise about the edition's final update, slated for Aug. 12, reports say. That bump-up, probably to "Windows 8.1 Update 2," will be released with little fanfare and few noticeable changes, certainly not with the modified Start menu Microsoft previewed this spring at its Build developers conference. From all indications, that -- as well as other features to restore an emphasis on mouse and keyboard -- will take place with Threshold to let the company tout that edition as a clean break from its predecessor.

Rather than belabour Windows 8, which is dead to Microsoft, it will beat the drum on the next name for its Windows client.

For that, Microsoft could re-run the post-Vista play, but turn it on its head. After Vista, the company declined to continue names as its naming convention ("XP" and "Vista" for the two consecutive releases) and instead went with the numerical "Windows 7." The smart move this cycle would be to quit numerals, tainted after Windows 8, and distance Threshold from its predecessor with a word as name. "Windows Threshold" has little ring, but Microsoft has legions of marketers who could come up with something much better. "Windows Redemption" is probably off the table -- too literal for what the company thinks, or better put, hopes.

From the Vista experience, too, Microsoft can assume that Windows 8 will slide toward, but not into, insignificance -- assuming Threshold is a better stab at what customers want -- as users upgrade and replace devices.

Much of Windows 7's success was ascribed to customers abandoning Vista or leaving the even-older XP, which they'd clung to because of wariness about Vista. It was actually more about Vista, which lost 30% of its user share in the first year after Windows 7's release. Windows XP shed just 15% of its share in the same 12 months.

Please not that isn't the full article and there is further reading to be done. With that being said, the article is perfectly valid. Windows 8/8.1 isn't awful but it had its fair share of issues, in a similar fashion that Vista had issues. In the end they both got fixed, at least to a point in which they could be fixed without rewriting large parts of the operating system. However, in my opinion, the damage had already been done before they could get the fix out. In the case of Windows Vista, it wasn't until Service Pack 2 (and then further with the Platform Update after Windows 7 came out) that I felt it was actually good enough. Windows 8 also had issues that got fixed with 8.1 and then Update 1 (and Update 2 which is out soon).

I liked Windows Vista, and I liked Windows 8. However, the damage had already been done before I felt they were good enough and I guess I can also say the same for the majority of users. There are thousands upon thousands of people who don't like Windows 8, all for their own individual reasons, and if Microsoft want to get those people to upgrade from whatever version of Windows they are currently on to Windows 8 (if they aren't already on it), then they should be focusing their attention on a new operating system. There is a lot of good stuff going into OS X Yosemite and there is also a lot of good stuff happening in Linux at the moment and Microsoft are more than capable of releasing something truly amazing of their own.

Source: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249971/Microsoft_wants_you_to_forget_Windows_8

This post has been promoted to an article

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

Heck! That's a definite TL;DR post. I think I'll have to read it over a week. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I currently prefer W8 over W7. I find it more efficient than 7.

Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB | HyperX 16GB DDR3 | ASUS ROG Ranger VII | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair 760T Case | Seasonic X-series 750W 

2x Acer Predator 24" 144hz GSync Monitor | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | HyperX Cloud 2 Headset

I call BS.

System:
4670k@4,7Ghz <fully stable ( and 5Ghz, incredible unstable)| Asus Maximus VI Hero | G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400Mhz C10 | AMD XFX R9 290 OC'ed (locked, Elpida) Cooled by a Kraken G10&X40 w/ NF-A14 | NZXT Phantom 530 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Samsung EVO 250GB | Cooler Master V850 | QNIX QX2710 @110Hz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 ^^ | Madcatz R.A.T. 5 | Brainwavz Delta's |

Windows 8 just had a rocky start and even from it's inception was still a pretty good OS. People just didn't like the change but at least Microsoft saw the problems and fixed some of them..I don't think Windows 8 is anywhere near as bad as Vista was and I'm surprised some disagree with that statement

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Want me to forget Windows 8 (even though I did like it)? Give me Windows 9 for free with my Windows 8 product code.

Desktop: Phenom II 970 BE, Cooler Master V8, Asus M5A97, Sapphire 6870, 320GB HDD, 12GB DDR3, Modded HAF 912, Cosair CX600 V2, CM Trigger MX Blues

Forget about windows. It's crap, Linux is the way to go. Soon it will be gaming platform and then fuck windows and MS. 

They do shit and we must buy for 100+$ and can't change anything we do not like, like metro. 

It's closed shit software. Fuck you MS!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Wow this is very good news for the future of Microsoft.

Another dead OS like Vista.

It seems every other is an attempt to build hype and sell off millions of copies and then end up fixing all of the problems and reintroducing their innovations to up their profits.

yeah that sounds great on a review  :P

win8 "isnt that bad"

why would they want you to forget it? windows 8 ended up not being that bad

"Windows 8. Better than being shit on"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC - RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Storage: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W - Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Keyboard: Logitech G810 - Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50X / Sennheiser HD600 - Monitor: Dell U2414H

This article is a huge, steaming pile of bullshit.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I love how many will be in denial and continue to defend it even after Microsoft attempts to deprecate it.

Classifying these comments as "defending Windows 8" is kind of a stretch if you ask me. "It wasn't that bad" is something you might say after a prostate exam, not something you'd hear from someone trying to defend a 100 dollar OS.

Forget about windows. It's crap, Linux is the way to go. Soon it will be gaming platform and then fuck windows and MS. 

They do shit and we must buy for 100+$ and can't change anything we do not like, like metro. 

It's closed shit software. Fuck you MS!

If it's crap as you say, why is that it still holds a decent market share in terms of OS market? 

There are awesome Linux GUI's such as Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. but the underlying issue that is that it's not made for "normal people"; the only way something will sell and make a big impact on the market is that if it's:

a) Innovative 

B) Easy to adopt <--- uhh thanks for the smiley face? 

c) Has a crap ton of support 

Windows and OSX has at least the later two points covered, Linux unfortunately falls short 

Look at OSX from Apple, no matter how much you hate Apple, their products (and services) without a doubt are pricey but fantastic. But is it within mine or (assuming) your scope? Nope. 

So don't go labelling something as "crap" or assume that people don't like the Metro UI, if you bother to set up Windows 8/8.1 to suit your needs/wants, it's nothing short of amazing. The Metro UI is easier to do certain tasks with, such as multitasking/split screening. 

While I will agree that "closed" software does have this heretic esque stigma about it, does it mean it's bad? Once again, nope. 

*blahblah more random rants* 

Also, for the price, try using student discounts, work place discounts, etc. I got multiple copies of Windows 8 for free (and Office 365 for some absurdly cheap price); don't get me wrong, I'm not being like "ALL HAIL MICRO$OFT and APPLE, DEATH TO LINUX" - in fact I used to use Linux till I got fed up with the driver/software support for some of the work I was doing and I wasn't too big of a fan of having to make sure something I want/need to install was compatible (now this issue is a pretty much gone except for in some niche areas). 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Classifying these comments as "defending Windows 8" is kind of a stretch if you ask me. "It wasn't that bad" is something you might say after a prostate exam, not something you'd hear from someone trying to defend a 100 dollar OS.

I did said "will be" as opposed are "are" to try to imply that comments now are currently not that bad though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

why would they want you to forget it? windows 8 ended up not being that bad

Yeah. I love Windows 8. Once you get the start menu back it's without a doubt the best Windows OS ever. Unfortunately I don't have my copy anymore so I'm back to the life of single task bars, non-native ISO support, inferior task manager and unpausable file transfers. :(

This article just supposes and assumes everything about how Microsoft wants you to forget Windows 8.

Microsoft only did this twice, with the Zune and Windows Me. Where it remove all traces from it, for all time, from their marketing material, and everything. Keeping it all hidden on their site. Its there but you need to explicitly look for it. This is not the case for Windows 8.

I agree that Windows 8 has its set of issues. The big problem that Windows 8 has, is that key things were missing such as documentation, online tutorials, videos, and tutorials on the OS (that last point was kinda added in 8.1). Remember Windows 7? For every new features, Microsoft had nice and quick video showing it, and telling you how to do it, and a benefit. Windows 8 had none of that, not even close.

That is the big point, I believe. Then you have, the default Start screen layout sucks really bad, doesn't even show you can pin folder, or make groups, and had 0 organizations. It was just random tiles dump on the screen. In addition, Windows 8.1 should have been Windows 8. It shows that Windows 8 was a rushed release for some odd reason. Then you have the inconsistency switch of world that occurs in Windows settings, like some are in desktop only others are in metro only. The control panel should have been duplicated, not transferred and definitely not like now, which is a half ass job transfer.

In addition, many panels that power user uses often aren't even high DPI aware. They all should be so. In fact, this should have been priority 1. Microsoft knew that within Windows 8 release high DPI display were coming. That is why they invested so much to improve their DPI engine in Windows 8. That is why you have Modern UI. But, the important stuff have been ignored.

And more, but the above are, what I think, are important reasons. What bugs me, is that Steve Ballmer, said multiple times that Windows 8 is the riskiest Windows they ever done, BEFORE any leak or info of Windows 8 has ever reach the internet. So why the lack of caring? Take your time, and do it right. My only guess why it was rushed, is that Microsoft knew that companies won't upgrade to it, as they follow a 6 year upgrade cycle, and most companies are in sync (due to XP), and still transitioning to Windows 7, so they wanted to minimize the impact to enterprises, and have Windows 9 released in time to fix from what they learned, if hell breaks loose. So I guess in that sense, it makes sense. But would it have been a big problem to delay the release by a couple of months, even 1 year, to get it at a point better than Windows 8.1, with the mentioned points above? I get you don't have telemetry data, but Microsoft run their alpha builds within the company to find bug fixes, and get feedback. They could have looked at the collected telemetry data.

I get the idea of Windows 8, I like it very much, yes even the Start Screen on my desktop, laptop, and tablet. To me, the execution of Windows 8 wasn't done right. Windows 8 also felt, in some ways, ahead of its time, much like Vista. If there was an intermediate step (of the idea and concept of the OS, see my complaints above), or process (as mentioned above as well), it would have been a lot better.

If it's crap as you say, why is that it still holds a decent market share in terms of OS market? 

There are awesome Linux GUI's such as Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. but the underlying issue that is that it's not made for "normal people"; the only way something will sell and make a big impact on the market is that if it's:

a) Innovative 

B) Easy to adopt <--- uhh thanks for the smiley face? 

c) Has a crap ton of support 

Windows and OSX has at least the later two points covered, Linux unfortunately falls short 

Look at OSX from Apple, no matter how much you hate Apple, their products (and services) without a doubt are pricey but fantastic. But is it within mine or (assuming) your scope? Nope. 

So don't go labelling something as "crap" or assume that people don't like the Metro UI, if you bother to set up Windows 8/8.1 to suit your needs/wants, it's nothing short of amazing. The Metro UI is easier to do certain tasks with, such as multitasking/split screening. 

While I will agree that "closed" software does have this heretic esque stigma about it, does it mean it's bad? Once again, nope. 

*blahblah more random rants* 

Also, for the price, try using student discounts, work place discounts, etc. I got multiple copies of Windows 8 for free (and Office 365 for some absurdly cheap price); don't get me wrong, I'm not being like "ALL HAIL MICRO$OFT and APPLE, DEATH TO LINUX" - in fact I used to use Linux till I got fed up with the driver/software support for some of the work I was doing and I wasn't too big of a fan of having to make sure something I want/need to install was compatible (now this issue is a pretty much gone except for in some niche areas). 

To them who can't understand it's sarcasm :)

Read through a few of these comparisons below and I think it will be obvious which operating system is more "user friendly".

Installing Software:

To install a piece of software on Windows you just follow a few easy steps. First you go to the store and buy the software, then you pop the CD into your disc drive, enter the CD key, wait for the software to install itself onto the hard drive, and you are good to go! Be sure to put the CD and key in a safe place in case you ever need to reinstall the software.

On Ubuntu to install a piece of software you open the software center. Type in the name of the software you are looking for (or browse by category), click install, and wait for the software to download and install.

Default Software:

Windows offers a fantastic default software install. Need to write a paper? No worries, Windows has the feature-rich Wordpad. Want to surf the net? Internet Explorer has always provided a safe webrowsing experience.

Ubuntu's default software selection is somewhat disappointing. It has a full featured word processor, spreadsheet editor, and presentation creator. I know most people don't use facebook or twitter, but just in case you do Ubuntu includes Gwibber, a software that fully integrates your social networking with your desktop. For webrowsing Ubuntu only has Firefox and if you want to instant message Ubuntu's Empathy only supports facebook, AIM, yahoo, MSN, IRC...

Adding Hardware:

Windows is the most popular operating system in the world. Almost any piece of hardware you purchase comes with a handy CD for installing the drivers the hardware needs to function properly. Again, keep that CD in a safe place in case you ever reformat or attach the hardware to a different computer.

If you have one of the millions of pieces of hardware that is supported on the Linux platform then 99 times out of 100 once you attach it to your computer it still start functioning right away. What about that hundredth time? Ubuntu will offer to automatically download and install any closed source drivers the hardware needs to function.

System Upkeep:

Upkeep on Windows is easy. Just remember to periodically run your anti-virus program, your anti-spyware program, and don't forget to defragment your computer every couple months. Also a yearly reformat tends to help keep things running smoothly.

Ubuntu? Well there aren't really any viruses for Ubuntu and the filesystem it uses doesn't fragment nearly as much as NTFS does.

Updating the Operating System:

To ensure your operating system is secure, by default, whenever Windows is connected to the internet it will automatically download and install updates without asking. Windows is very through with it's update process. As soon as it is finished updating the system will shutdown, install some more updates, and then possibly install the last bit of the updates and apply configurations the next time the computer boots up.

Ubuntu on the other hand tends to be kind of lazy by default with it's update process. When a new update is available the system asks you if you want to download and install it. Then, it only installs the updates once. I guess Ubuntu just assumes it installed them correctly the first time.

I think I covered all the points that I often hear people complain about when they first start using Ubuntu. Anyone else know of other areas where Ubuntu is still harder to use than Windows?

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Never forget the crimes they have made

vista 2007

win 8  2012

Both were perfectly good OS' when they came out. Actually both of them were better at launch than XP was at launch in 2001. Only Win 98 ME was more unstable and craptacular than XP back then. Ironically, everything both Vista and 8 has been critisized for, XP was too when it came out. XP was never the really good OS people remember until SP2 came out. 8.1 is a similar upgrade to XP SP2. After XP SP2 came out, noone in their right mind would use vanilla XP or XP SP1.

Either people have forgotten all of this, or they're not old enough to have experienced it. I personally have used all consumer versions of Windows since 3.11 (incl. 95, 98, 98SE, 98ME, 2000, XP (+SP1/2), Vista Pro, 7 pro, 8 pro (+8.1).

Windows 7 was essentially to Vista what XP SP2 was to vanilla XP. A nice big upgrade, but essentially the same OS.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

-snip-

You have just copy-pasted this from the GoG is now on Linux thread.

It was stupid, delusional and pathetic back there and a change of scenery didn't do it any favor.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.