Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BioShock96

Show off your latest purchase!

No pictures yet as the stuff is still 4-6 weeks out but I just got a hutch and locker for my Snap-On tool box as well as some accessories for it. That brings the price for that damn box up to about 17 grand Canadian without even talking about a single tool inside of it. Just stupid

CPU Ryzen 3600, MB MSI MEG Ace x570, RAM Corsair Vengence Pro 32gb @ 3200 mhz, Custom Loop, Thermal Take Core P5 TG, GPU EVGA RTX2080 Ti XC  PC Part Picker list for complete build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/j86vTB

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

My tired hurts too. Bought two tires and a wheel today. I nailed a pothole this morning so hard my grandma's butt puckered up and she's dead. I bent the outer lip of the wheel and put a big bubble in my tire. But the tires are all 2014, fairly worn, I know I need new ones, but I was going to get them next month so I compromised with myself and bought two tires and one wheel. I can have a matched pair of new tires for the rear to rotate to the front once I get the other pair, I replace the damaged tire and the noisy tire I had been living with for a while. I guess. Ugh. Whatever. I'm a placid ball of seething rage.

I've had to settle for buying only two tires at a time in the past after a blowout. I'm a little better off now. The last time I bought tires for my truck, I bought all five of them at once and didn't even blink (I sniffled a little, though, as I said goodbye to my money). The tires still had plenty of tread but five years is as long as they last in AZ due to dry rot and I didn't trust any of them for a spare (I already had had a blowout, fortunately at low speed).

If the microwave going AWOL was the only problem I have, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, I've been dealing with a lot of other stupid problems that has had me dealing with a lot of stupid people so my mood is less than stellar.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 12/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, wkdpaul said:

Sanshu Mod, only available if you're IN China ;)

IMG_20191213_211116_compress51.thumb.jpg.2e9c4fb5c2b0616f6b74900e3182995a.jpg

@wkdpaul how's there quality? I've had a set in my taobao cart for ages. Should I pull the trigger? 

These arrived yesterday, courtesy of my niece who's just arrived from Toronto. The Linda Ronstadt Bluray was a recent order....the rest were ordered months ago.

spacer.png

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 4x 8GB XPG Spectrix D60G DDR4 3200 | PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G703 | OPPO HA-1 + Philips Fidelio HTL9100 | Acer XR341CK 21:9 Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | Leaadtek GTX1080 Hurricane | iFi Micro iDSD BL + Samsung HW-K651 | Caselabs M8 | Corsair HX-1050 | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G502 | Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | MSI Z87 G45 Gaming | 16GB RipJawsZ 1600mhz | Gigabyte RX EVGA64 Gaming OC | Tt View 31 | Enermax 1500 MAX Revo | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro

9 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I've had to settle for buying only two tires at a time in the past after a blowout. I'm a little better off now. The last time I bought tires for my truck, I bought all five of them at once and didn't even blink (I sniffled a little, though, as I said goodbye to my money). The tires still had plenty of tread but five years is as long as they last in AZ due to dry rot and I didn't trust any of them for a spare (I already had had a blowout, fortunately at low speed).

If the microwave going AWOL was the only problem I have, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, I've been dealing with a lot of other stupid problems that has had me dealing with a lot of stupid people so my mood is less than stellar.

Yup, just the wrong time of year at the moment. This car is older and I'm getting tired (haha pun) of spending money on it but I know what I need to do to have it somewhat safe. My wheel comes in today so I'll get that mounted up and have two new rear tires because that's where new tires go what with oversteer and such. I should probably check/do an alignment as well sometime next week, but being a short holiday week time may not permit.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:28 PM, Quibiss said:

New speakers: 

IMG_20191218_182211.jpg

IMG_20191218_182155.jpg

How do they sound? I've always liked the look of Dali's.

Bet they're an upgrade from the Polk T50's!

If you have any questions about ultra high end audio, dont be afraid to shoot me a message, or mention me.

Yes my audio stuff is 665,000 USD, I'm a dedicated audiophile/mastering engineer

(if you want to see my audio stuff, check my profile, it's too much to list here)

Bought a Sony digital mavica at goodwill (early digital camera which used floppy disks). Had a battery, although it was dead (obviously). I also bought a charger for the battery (since it uses a wierd charging method which I can't use with my univ. batt charger.

My Drawing.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 9.10.34 AM.png

hahaha I have depression haha lol

12 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

@wkdpaul how's there quality? I've had a set in my taobao cart for ages. Should I pull the trigger? 

It's decent quality. Though I can't be sure about the gauge of the wires, they do seem small a little, so I would avoid using those on a system that pulls a lot of amps, but my build is a 8700 (non K) with a 1060 3GB, so while gaming it pull less than 400W (total, including all the HDD, RGB and fans!). So for me those are ok (and even if I got the EPS cable too, I didn't use it).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Guide to run any software as Admin

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

3 hours ago, Derkoli said:

How do they sound? I've always liked the look of Dali's.

Bet they're an upgrade from the Polk T50's!

They sound amazing compared to the Polks. Way clearer, the bass is not muddy anymore and overall just a way crisper experience. I'm no audiophile by any stretch, but I really appreciate their sound signature. And I agree about the looks, they really fit into the living room 😀

Intel i7-5820K, Asus X99 Sabertooth, EVGA 980Ti Classified, 16 GB Trident Z, EVGA GS 650,  NZXT x62 Kraken, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG and too many fans

It finally arrived! Got this UPS as a steal for less than $50 off eBay due to some cosmetic damage. 

1500/1440VA @120v Eaton rack mount unit. It’s going to be powering my modem, PFSense box, and wireless AP. 

The front of the unit is in great shape. Batteries test good and fully charge. Missing rack ears, but I can always find some online. The back of the unit has the outlets dented in, but it’s nothing I can’t fix in Solidworks, a water jet, and a stock sheet of aluminum. Electrical connections and outlets all test good. Fans are noisy, so I’m probably going to mod in a NC relay with a resistor to run the fans at a much lower rpm. When the power goes out the NC relay would default off the resistor and back to 12v. These units get hot when inverting DC to AC but not when they’re on AVR.

will be doing a load test over the weekend to verify batteries hold up to snuff.

1B5964ED-28D3-4B80-B747-660490184838.thumb.jpeg.15f6b8488eaa8d99e71269692b166ccc.jpeg71D5B220-175E-4331-B2FD-6F556BD17385.thumb.jpeg.d6a99be20b9acf0052a5ce66f9301b72.jpeg9452D390-8128-4ECB-BB8F-EBCD365169BB.thumb.jpeg.4996a29d5ae679e5eee2989774bbfe44.jpeg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

2 hours ago, ionbasa said:

It finally arrived! Got this UPS as a steal for less than $50 off eBay due to some cosmetic damage. 

1500/1440VA @120v Eaton rack mount unit. It’s going to be powering my modem, PFSense box, and wireless AP. 

The front of the unit is in great shape. Batteries test good and fully charge. Missing rack ears, but I can always find some online. The back of the unit has the outlets dented in, but it’s nothing I can’t fix in Solidworks, a water jet, and a stock sheet of aluminum. Electrical connections and outlets all test good. Fans are noisy, so I’m probably going to mod in a NC relay with a resistor to run the fans at a much lower rpm. When the power goes out the NC relay would default off the resistor and back to 12v. These units get hot when inverting DC to AC but not when they’re on AVR.

will be doing a load test over the weekend to verify batteries hold up to snuff.

9452D390-8128-4ECB-BB8F-EBCD365169BB.thumb.jpeg.4996a29d5ae679e5eee2989774bbfe44.jpeg

Honestly you could just eyeball that panel with a hack saw and some toothed dremel blades, it's pretty not complicated. Heck it might even just bend back right into shape!

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Honestly you could just eyeball that panel with a hack saw and some toothed dremel blades, it's pretty not complicated. Heck it might even just bend back right into shape!

That’s is actually the first part of the plan starting tomorrow. I need to take the cover and panels off, pop the sockets out and try and bend back to shape.

I’ll also be cleaning out the fans and any heat sinks. The air intake and exhaust is a bit dusty. I’m am reconsidering to not mod and make the fans quieter. Once the battery got charged to above 95% capacity the fans ramped down in noise considerably.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

22 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

That’s is actually the first part of the plan starting tomorrow. I need to take the cover and panels off, pop the sockets out and try and bend back to shape.

I’ll also be cleaning out the fans and any heat sinks. The air intake and exhaust is a bit dusty. I’m am reconsidering to not mod and make the fans quieter. Once the battery got charged to above 95% capacity the fans ramped down in noise considerably.

Could you improve the battery cooling without forcing more air through? Better heatsink or better TIM to the battery? It's running the fans based on charge percentage or based on a thermistor in the battery pile? There might be better fans that are less noisy or flow more air at less noise/rpm, Noctua has some great fans in their industrial line that would probably be an improvement over what's in there now, probably Nidec or Delta?

I'll bet it bends back good nuff lol.

Snagged a Corsair RM1000X for $100 shipped, open box with all cables. Here's to hoping it's legit and the listing was accurate. It's more power supply than I need but eh it's a good unit with excellent reviews from even Jonny Guru so it's gotta be legit. As long as I don't loose the cables over the years it'll be a unit I can use for years to come!

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

Could you improve the battery cooling without forcing more air through? Better heatsink or better TIM to the battery? It's running the fans based on charge percentage or based on a thermistor in the battery pile? There might be better fans that are less noisy or flow more air at less noise/rpm, Noctua has some great fans in their industrial line that would probably be an improvement over what's in there now, probably Nidec or Delta?

I'll bet it bends back good nuff lol.

Actually, it did bend back good enough, enough that is only a minor inconvenience and only noticeable if you're looking hard enough at the back of the UPS (which I will probably only be doing once in a blue moon).

As for the fans/heat sinks: this revision has SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries (4 batteries in series) like the majority of UPSes on the market today, the next revision which eaton just released this year are Li-Ion and are selling for $1100+. One benefit of the Li-Ion model is that for the same VA/Power output, you can go from a 2U (the size I have) to a 1U rack spacing which is incredible. It saves so much space on the rack and they are lighter weight. 

I've attached some photos if your curious, but the fans only service the transformer and FET/PWM drivers. So only the electronics need active cooling as the drivers are switching on/off at a rapid rate to convert DC from the batteries to AC 120V 60Hz. I am currently running a discharge test running my modem/router/WiFi AP. The fans settle down considerably once the battery bank is charged past 95% so it isn't to bothersome for me as the UPS will mostly be at full capacity with only occasional use. The area im living in tends to get brownouts/short blackouts that tend to be weather related (snow)

I am thinking of getting another unit to power my fish tank pump and tank heater. 

IMG_3870.thumb.jpg.921182ea2738f122a72cef0e6f21af7b.jpgIMG_3869.thumb.jpg.6fc057f8ace05e982789e91f6f9c03b4.jpgIMG_3866.thumb.jpg.7ebd635f1aba705fd5aefb6674517e9a.jpg

1 hour ago, ionbasa said:

As for the fans/heat sinks: this revision has SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries (4 batteries in series) like the majority of UPSes on the market today, the next revision which eaton just released this year are Li-Ion and are selling for $1100+. One benefit of the Li-Ion model is that for the same VA/Power output, you can go from a 2U (the size I have) to a 1U rack spacing which is incredible. It saves so much space on the rack and they are lighter weight. 

I've attached some photos if your curious, but the fans only service the transformer and FET/PWM drivers. So only the electronics need active cooling as the drivers are switching on/off at a rapid rate to convert DC from the batteries to AC 120V 60Hz. I am currently running a discharge test running my modem/router/WiFi AP. The fans settle down considerably once the battery bank is charged past 95% so it isn't to bothersome for me as the UPS will mostly be at full capacity with only occasional use. The area im living in tends to get brownouts/short blackouts that tend to be weather related (snow)

I am thinking of getting another unit to power my fish tank pump and tank heater. 

I see much opportinuity to duct air for MUCH better cooling of those components, but if the fan is controlled by charge percent and not actual component temp then it won't really matter except maybe extended the life of the unit or adding more capacity to it later on (chaining on more batteries because why not)

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I see much opportinuity to duct air for MUCH better cooling of those components, but if the fan is controlled by charge percent and not actual component temp then it won't really matter except maybe extended the life of the unit or adding more capacity to it later on (chaining on more batteries because why not)

Some variants do support external batteries. Eaton uses a semi-proprietary connector which is touch safe to prevent shorting or shocking yourself. They resemble Anderson Din/Euro connectors IE: https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/resources/EBCResourcesPage.html

Ducting would only do so much. There is a sheet metal insert separating the front of the battery module and the switching components, effectively creating a semi-duct.. The fan control may be a mix of temp and charge percentage. It's hard to tell this early on, but the AC to DC Inverter to charge the batteries probably get the most hot when at less than 80% and start to ramp down between 80 to 95%, see the attached graph: 
XdOjE.gif

This charge curve is usual for 12-14v lead acid batteries. A few variants or other methods exist, but I'm suspicious that this is the curve that the Eaton UPS uses based on correlating the cooling fan rate and the charge percentage. 

Tripp Lite makes Inverts/Chargers for use with your own external batteries: https://www.tripplite.com/products/power-inverters-inverter-chargers~18-76
Older models tend to pop up on ebay/craigslist every so often, ranging from 12-48V DC and 1000-6000VA at 120 -208/240V.

I've considered making my own portable "power station" with one of those and making my own cart with 10" wheels, and either lithium batteries or lead acid for use when camping or when you need AC power in remote locations. They tend to use something similar in hospital environments to power medial equipment on the portable racks.

not pictured is $40 in hair products I purchased lmao

however I bought a battery for my car today too

image0.jpg

a Moo Floof will solve all the world’s problems, buy a moo floof today.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x 89ever :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

3 hours ago, AntDeGamer said:

Got A New Cpu Finally

JPEG_20191221_231832.jpg

Nice. Which model?

My Systems:

Gaming:

Spoiler

RUSTIC PC: FX-8350 @4.6GHz // Deepcool Gammaxx 400 // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB DDR3 @1600MHz // Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G // Samsung 840 120GB SSD + 2x 1TB Seagate 7200 HDDs // Cooler Master V650 PSU // Vintage wooden crate enclosure // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter // Build Log

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Manjaro KDE

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

8 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Ouch, my wallet. Just spent $35 on @pinksnowbirdie because he wanted Steam cash. Don't mind it, though; definitely worth it. AND I got the animated profile to boot!

ES3Ai.png

Trust me, I'm trying hard to not look at my bank account.

yez well it's a good early christmas gift :^) 😍

a Moo Floof will solve all the world’s problems, buy a moo floof today.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x 89ever :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)