Show off your latest purchases

Got a new console, going to settle in for the weekend and smash The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4, looking forward to the new Red Dead Redemption coming next year too and seeing as it probably wont come to PC the PS4 Pro seemed like a good purchase :)

PS4 Pro.jpg

40 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

Got a new console, going to settle in for the weekend and smash The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4, looking forward to the new Red Dead Redemption coming next year too and seeing as it probably wont come to PC the PS4 Pro seemed like a good purchase :)

PS4 Pro.jpg

One word: Bloodborne

OK more words: if you haven't played Uncharted 1-3, I highly recommend getting the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection and playing them in order before Uncharted 4. They're beautiful 60 fps ports and the game should be pretty cheap (in the US it's $20 new). And Uncharted 4 is extremely impressive graphically even on the Slim rendered at 1080p, much less the Pro rendered at 1440p. If this is your first time playing The Last of Us, I'm jealous. That's such a great experience. Especially the PS4 version at a smooth 60 fps (though even the PS3 version at 27 fps is pretty epic).

Yeah i played 1, 2 and 3 through years and years ago so i know the story pretty well.  I traded in a bunch of old games and my old PS4 so i only paid $300 AU ($230 USD) for the PS4 Pro but i held onto The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 because i read that they were both great examples of "pro enhanced" games.  So far as The Last of Us goes yeah its probably one of, if not my all time favorite game, even on subsequent playthroughs it still makes me cry at a couple of spots. 

Thus far i think that the enhanced 60 FPS mode looks a lot better than the 4k mode, 4k is great and all that but if i have to chose between 4k with less options and a lower resolution (i think its 1800p) with all the bells and whistles plus solid 60 FPS i'll take the 60 FPS all day long.  The 30 FPS 4k just looks too jittery and ruins the experience. 

3 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Yeah i played 1, 2 and 3 through years and years ago so i know the story pretty well.  I traded in a bunch of old games and my old PS4 so i only paid $300 AU ($230 USD) for the PS4 Pro but i held onto The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 because i read that they were both great examples of "pro enhanced" games.  So far as The Last of Us goes yeah its probably one of, if not my all time favorite game, even on subsequent playthroughs it still makes me cry at a couple of spots. 

Thus far i think that the enhanced 60 FPS mode looks a lot better than the 4k mode, 4k is great and all that but if i have to chose between 4k with less options and a lower resolution (i think its 1800p) with all the bells and whistles plus solid 60 FPS i'll take the 60 FPS all day long.  The 30 FPS 4k just looks too jittery and ruins the experience. 

I think Horizon Zero Dawn is supposed to be the game that best takes advantage of the Pro hardware, at least according to Digital Foundry's tests. You not only get a higher resolution but you get much better texture filtering on the Pro. The Last Guardian is supposed to run a lot better on the Pro than the OG/Slim but it's still only 1080p30 on the Pro. Nioh is definitely a lot better on the Pro than the OG/Slim since if you choose 60 fps mode on the latter you have a dynamic resolution that's often at 720p. NieR Automata runs at 900p on base PS4 with lots of frame drops whereas on Pro I think it runs 1080p or 1440p with less drops. Though with your PC I'd highly recommend playing NieR Automata on PC instead. The game is buggy as hell on PC but newer versions of the FAR mod got rid of most of the crashes and fix the resolution bug. As bad as the PC port is (it's not launch Arkham Knight bad, more along the lines of Dark Souls 1 bad) I still highly recommend that game if you haven't played it.

EDIT: I forgot Nioh is getting a PC release in a week and a half, so if you buy that game might as well get it on PC.

250 grams of pure understanding

WP_20171027_22_28_59_Rich.thumb.jpg.a672d3d8f7d3e3dea596738d0b6726ae.jpg

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Another gift for my mom.  This time it's a rechargeable plasma lighter.

DSC_0203.thumb.JPG.c22a89cfa91892888c094745ea236fca.JPG

DSC_0204.thumb.JPG.c9900dfcd8792af10abf1cb0fd6de720.JPG

DSC_0206.thumb.JPG.95eb3c7ebacdddd1da4d077695729cff.JPG

Also, from the instruction manual.

"Do not use any cable other than the supplied cable"

The cable is a 3 inch long micro USB...  Fuck that noise!

0C9A0730-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.8e24f309a4df821d283c694ae7b75b9c.jpg

These were a let down.

AI7B3329_20170925133115(1).jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

0C9A0745-Edit.thumb.jpg.35cb232d936772ec3a11360154a70689.jpg

Got the Beats Studio3 headphones after selling off some other headphones.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:11 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

One word: Bloodborne

Also:  Horizon Zero Dawn

My top fav on the PS4 at the moment.

Anyway, finally back State side (ugh, that flight back was stupid long).

I am finally glad to see rain, green trees, and no sand to speak of.

A few goodies I bought so far.  Got a few I will add to the post later.

IMG_20171026_171855686.thumb.jpg.60d898c57fa78506800aca23d11d5131.jpg

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 10/26/2017 at 10:42 PM, Newenthusiast said:

Got a new console, going to settle in for the weekend and smash The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4, looking forward to the new Red Dead Redemption coming next year too and seeing as it probably wont come to PC the PS4 Pro seemed like a good purchase :).

How much better is the Remastered version of The Last Of Us? I've got a copy of the original with no PS3 to play it on(haha) and couldn't help but wonder

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

How much better is the Remastered version of The Last Of Us? I've got a copy of the original with no PS3 to play it on(haha) and couldn't help but wonder

I have both and the PS4 version is a significant upgrade. The bump in resolution to 1080p is nice on the cheap PS4, while on the Pro you get a boost to 1800p. But the big difference is framerate. I have a PS4 Slim and it runs at what feels like a pretty consistent 60 fps, and Digital Foundry's testing seems to agree. While on PS3 it's under 30 fps a lot of the time. It's still an amazing experience on the PS3, but that game really pushed the hardware about as far as it could go.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I have both and the PS4 version is a significant upgrade. The bump in resolution to 1080p is nice on the cheap PS4, while on the Pro you get a boost to 1800p. But the big difference is framerate. I have a PS4 Slim and it runs at what feels like a pretty consistent 60 fps, and Digital Foundry's testing seems to agree. While on PS3 it's under 30 fps a lot of the time. It's still an amazing experience on the PS3, but that game really pushed the hardware about as far as it could go.

Just double checking, can the PS4 run PS3 games?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just double checking, can the PS4 run PS3 games?

Nah, the PS4 cpu is too weak supposedly for them to bother with a PS3 emulator for the system. Hopefully PS5 will have backwards compatibility with PS3 since I don't trust my PS3 from 2008 to last forever. PS3 emulation is really progressing quickly though. It's nowhere close to being able to play a game as heavyweight as TLOU, but on my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 system I can play Demon's Souls, Catherine, Okami, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, and Dragon's Crown really cleanly on RPCS3 (though I own all of them on my real PS3/PS4 other than Scott Pilgrim, since that game hasn't been for sale for years). RPCS3 has gotten really impressive in 2017.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Nah, the PS4 cpu is too weak supposedly for them to bother with a PS3 emulator for the system. Hopefully PS5 will have backwards compatibility with PS3 since I don't trust my PS3 from 2008 to last forever. PS3 emulation is really progressing quickly though. It's nowhere close to being able to play a game as heavyweight as TLOU, but on my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 system I can play Demon's Souls, Catherine, Okami, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, and Dragon's Crown really cleanly on RPCS3 (though I own all of them on my real PS3/PS4 other than Scott Pilgrim, since that game hasn't been for sale for years). RPCS3 has gotten really impressive in 2017.

Hmm interesting. I may look into emulation once I get a decent Core i5....

On 24/10/2017 at 12:29 AM, Virus__ said:

New motherboard showed up today. ASUS Strix ROG Z270I. Hopefully it has the latest bios so it'll support my Skylake CPU out of the box & I won't need to buy a Kabylake CPU to update the bugger. All up paid just over $200 AUD (about $150 USD) for it which seemed like a bargain since I was going to get the EVGA Z270 Stinger, but this board has 2x M.2 and that appeals to me.

-snip-

I know this is late, but a board that supports a newer generation will support the older generation by default. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

12 minutes ago, Tars said:

59f54abf15b40_PhotoOct28112122PM.jpg.57faabe502d4c6060d4333b79438afe9.jpg

So is Odyssey the 10/10 the review sites are reviewing it at? That game really looks impressive.

It’s pretty damn good so far, but when has a Mario game ever been bad ;)

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

39 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It's pretty easy to setup.

PS3 emulators are a thing now?  Cool!

Err, I mean, piracy is bad!  Mmmkay?

I wonder how well Threadripper will handle it...