Popular Asus PB278Q To Be Replaced With New Updated Model, The PB278QR

Geekazoid

Well because they have to charge a premium for it since its costs significantly more to implement. Its also a gaming feature so I would be really surprised if it wasn't on a "gaming monitor".

The only people to pull that off are probably Asus, but it makes sense. Your average gamer wants a TN panel with low response times.

Maybe I'll try to take a look at that new ROG G-Sync monitor and sob over the price tag. :D

who cares...

The only people to pull that off are probably Asus, but it makes sense. Your average gamer wants a TN panel with low response times.

Maybe I'll try to take a look at that new ROG G-Sync monitor and sob over the price tag. :D

There migh be more of a chance with freesync but that years away.

Hey guys, I quickly created an account to post in this thread!

First of all, I've been following this product closely for a while and after contacting ASUS, they've told me this monitor is purely for Europe, and they aren't, or at least, have no plans on bringing it to any other market. They told me the normal PB278Q and PA279Q fill out their product line for America and see no need to introduce a new model. 

That being said, I'm debating whether to purchase this from Germany as Germany is the main seller right now. The price is actually quite fair if you get it from Maxeedo. The only issue being that I live in Canada, it will be far too expensive to ship it back if I happen to get a really bad panel. 

So, I  have a few questions to the people who own one as the only hands on perspectives on the entire internet seem to be on this thread. 

1. It apperantly has adjustable overdrive. How many levels?

2. How bad is the ghosting, overshoot and motion blur? What overdrive setting are you using to get best results?

3. How bad was your panel? # dead pixels?? 

Hey guys, I quickly created an account to post in this thread!

First of all, I've been following this product closely for a while and after contacting ASUS, they've told me this monitor is purely for Europe, and they aren't, or at least, have no plans on bringing it to any other market. They told me the normal PB278Q and PA279Q fill out their product line for America and see no need to introduce a new model. 

That being said, I'm debating whether to purchase this from Germany as Germany is the main seller right now. The price is actually quite fair if you get it from Maxeedo. The only issue being that I live in Canada, it will be far too expensive to ship it back if I happen to get a really bad panel. 

So, I  have a few questions to the people who own one as the only hands on perspectives on the entire internet seem to be on this thread. 

1. It apperantly has adjustable overdrive. How many levels?

2. How bad is the ghosting, overshoot and motion blur? What overdrive setting are you using to get best results?

3. How bad was your panel? # dead pixels??

Really? so its like the PB248Q :(

Really? so its like the PB248Q :(

They don't intent to bring it to other markets no. If you want the QR, you have to buy it from Britain or Germany.

I'd hope not.

Eh, I'd prefer a thinner bezel. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

They don't intent to bring it to other markets no. If you want the QR, you have to buy it from Britain or Germany.

i almost bought a PB248Q from germany because they used to be a seller on amazon that had them available at a decent price. I guess ill just hold off and tell my friend he's not getting my PB278Q.

i almost bought a PB248Q from germany because they used to be a seller on amazon that had them available at a decent price. I guess ill just hold off and tell my friend he's not getting my PB278Q.

Just get a PA-series monitor. Yes they're a bit more expensive, but IPS is IPS at this point.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just get a PA-series monitor. Yes they're a bit more expensive, but IPS is IPS at this point.

I have them, all of them. I have a PB278Q as well and since it PLS it looks kinda weird next to all the IPS. I was planning on upgrading and selling mine to a friend at a discount.

None of Asus' current line baring the QR are any good, really. Or, I should say, their panels are aged by now. The best one is the 278Q which uses PWM which was a horrible design choice. It's also PLS, and I'm not sure if PLS is really different than IPS. I have an H-IPS beside my PLS and the H-IPS looks much better in games, even though it's input lag is 20-50ms, and the PLS is 7ms. 

None of Asus' current line baring the QR are any good, really. The best one is the 278Q which uses PWM which was a horrible design choice.

Do you mean PB because what other QR monitors are there? Also im pretty sure that the PB278Q is just a Samsung OEM design because ID is way different that all other PA and PB monitors. Also it kinda looks more like a mini TV than a monitor.

Hopefully for those that want to buy one it will be the same price as the old model.

Yeah I Agree, But you know it is the Technology industry, so they could price it ridiculously high and people will still buy it.  

Do you mean PB because what other QR monitors are there? Also im pretty sure that the PB278Q is just a Samsung OEM design because ID is way different that all other PA and PB monitors. Also it kinda looks more like a mini TV than a monitor.

The normal PB278Q uses PWM. The 278Q is a Samsung PLS panel. I don't know what you mean by the TV thing..do you the way the panel looks, or the physical monitor? The Panel looks like a TV? I mean, my experience with PLS is that it's a very soft and whispy image...it makes everything look like a soap opera and I don't know if it's just PLS, or if im just late to the game and that's just how monitors look these days. 

From experience, once calibrated it looks exactly the same as any other 8bit ips or pls panel. There's no real difference in colour accuracy.

From experience, once calibrated it looks exactly the same as any other 8bit ips or pls panel. There's no real difference in colour accuracy.

It's more about how things move than the colours accuracy, although, I have a wide gamut H-IPS and an 8bit PLS and they look quite different, but that's to be expected.

I have them, all of them. I have a PB278Q as well and since it PLS it looks kinda weird next to all the IPS. I was planning on upgrading and selling mine to a friend at a discount.

It's more about how things move than the colours accuracy, although, I have a wide gamut H-IPS and an 8bit PLS and they look quite different, but that's to be expected.

if I was to compare PLS to VA or TN (al variants) then yes there's a difference but the difference between IPS and PLS is almost non existent. The only difference (leaving out the new AH-IPS) is there colour bit. Are they 8bit 10 bit Do they use a higher bit look up table. The actual panel technology works the same way, hence no real difference once calibrated. You could argue that each panel has imperfections but that is your only real argument. The technology is almost identical.

When you have 3 IPS all around it there is this weird tinge and it kinda sticks out. the only think I can think is that is has to do with display tech and how the pixels are aligned. Oh and you really dont need to say the exact same thing 2x.

Their loss, I'll just get an AOC monitor here then and avoid purchasing future Asus products. Region exclusive items are BS regardless of which company does this practice.

Their loss, I'll just get an AOC monitor here then and avoid purchasing future Asus products. Region exclusive items are BS regardless of which company does this practice.

Its not uncommon for this to happen with international companies and products. it just sucks that its happened 2x with things im interested in from the same department of the same company.

Its not uncommon for this to happen with international companies and products. it just sucks that its happened 2x with things im interested in from the same department of the same company.

I mean no disrespect to @GridiroN but until we know this for sure we can't take one member's word on this. I suggest we wait before getting all upset, unhappy and annoyed about it. You never really know, it may not be the case. We just have to wait a tad longer. :)

EDIT: Well, I did forget about one little bit of information. This is from

the source that I posted in the original firsts post on this thread.

"ASUS currently have no plans to bring this monitor to the US market."

Adam Simmons

PC Monitors Author

This should mean, however, that it should come to Australia and I may or may not end up getting it. We'll see. I usually like to get user and professional reviews on anything that I plan to buy before making the purchase. ;)

Edited by Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I really do hope this monitor is released in Australia, although now I'm not so sure that there's any real benefit in the AH-IPS screen.

After reading all the feedback from users of the PLS screens, most of the comments seem quite positive and it seems to fair well against other IPS Screens.

Confused!

I really do hope this monitor is released in Australia, although now I'm not so sure that there's any real benefit in the AH-IPS screen.

After reading all the feedback from users of the PLS screens, most of the comments seem quite positive and it seems to fair well against other IPS Screens.

Confused!

It has seen many positive reviews hasn't it? Well we shall see. It can be rather confusing, I certainly agree with that.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Geekazoid,

What type of monitor are you currently using? Have you decided to wait for the PB278QR or are you likely to purchase something else?

I have been using the Asus VE278Q 1080P 27inch LED monitor up until recently, but I ended up giving it to my partner as she was struggling with hers.

I am now back on an old screen I've had for ages, the Asus MW221U 1680 x 1050 22inch and it's unbearable hence the urgency to buy another.

Notice the brand trend... does that make me biased!

I ordered one from Germany the day before last, so we'll see how it goes when I get it. 

I'll post a small write up of my impressions as I use my panels for gaming, colour sensitive artwork, and general use, where as most people here don't seem to use themf or anything other than workspace, and Im decently educated in input lag and overshoot beyond "it's ok", which is what you typically get from people who don't actually care what panel they use. 

Expected delivery was around the 26th of August.