Popular Asus PB278Q To Be Replaced With New Updated Model, The PB278QR

Geekazoid

I prefer my IPS to be made using IPS. PLS is nearly comparable to IPS but AHVA is definitely a step down that I would consider "almost IPS".

Will the leftover pb278q's be any cheaper after the release of the pb278qr?

Will the leftover pb278q's be any cheaper after the release of the pb278qr?

Dun know.

Hopefully for those that want to buy one it will be the same price as the old model.

The price is the same. Well it is the same as when I bought my PB278Q. £515 if I remember correctly so it is a small bit cheaper. That was a while ago though.

The ASUS PB278QR is just starting to penetrate the EU markets at time of writing. The current price sits at around £500. ASUS currently have no plans to bring this monitor to the US market. Further information available on the manufacturer’s website

Edit: Sorry I just realised this is a really old post.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

• 1 month later...

Wanted to post an update:

Got the QR in my hands, finally after it's long trip from Germany to Canada.

I hate speaking too soon, but this panel is utterly fantastic. It came pixel perfect which is lucky as hell because the box was mangled to all hell.

I have a Viewsonic VP2770 beside it (currently the best PLS panel on the market for multimedia/general use/gaming) other than the Korean exports. The PLS panel is quite a bit darker even at equal brightness levels. As far as input lag goes and responsiveness goes, it comes with 5 overdrive levels (0-100 in increments of 20) and I'm using 80 right now, and it's there's no ghosting, at least, no ghosting you'd ever notice. I tested it with Starcraft which is very hard on monitors that overshoot due to the high contrasting colours moving quickly, and I tested it in BF4 test range, which is usually pretty good for finding ghosting and general "slowness" to pixel transitions, and the panel performs better than the VP2770 in my subjective opinion.

All in all, quite pleased with this panel. I love the physical design, and it's taken me ages to find an LCD with the characteristics I want. Who knew I'd find it in an obscure model change only sold in Germany and UK...?? 

I reside in the UK, i've just got a ASUS PB278QR, the sticker at the back of the monitor says QR, the labels stick to it says QR.. yet in the OSD under information, it's PB278Q not  PB278Q... build date is Jan 2014.. case shows dots.. it looks like a QR... it's says it's a QR, apart from in the OSD.

it's just arrived yesterday from amazon uk brand new.

What does yours say for your official QR under the OSD QR?

• 1 month later...

I've picked up the Asus PB278Q from the egg. The first one had 4 dead pixels and 1 stuck green pixel. After getting my second one. That was the new AHVA panel. It's a great monitor. And viewing angles are amazing. The Asus PB278Q 2014 is amazing and it's one of the only monitors that have 1 to 3 ms input and 5 ms response time.

I'm loving the 2560 x 1440 Resolution. It's so much better then using two cheap 23" monitors. And the price is great. I got it shipped 2nd day air for $450. And after seeing the LG monitor. That I was thinking about going with. I'm happy I went with the Asus PB278Q 2014.

The IPS backlight glow isn't nearly as bad as the Samsung pls panel. And the matte finish is perfect. I hate glossy but I also hate heavy matte. So it's just right for me. Anyone in the market for a good monitor that you can play CS:GO on but also have great color and viewing angles. Go for the 2014 PB278Q. You well be happy you did. And it being one of the few multi input monitors with a good response time. As I said it hard to find a monitor that will be great for photo work and gaming.

i5 4670k @4Ghz - CM Hyper 212 EVO - 2x4GB Kinston HyperX Blu - Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition Kingston HyperX 3K SSD / WD Black 1TB HDD Gigabyte Z87X-D3H XFX XTR 750 (PSU) - Antec 900 - ASUS PB278Q 2014 AHVA Monitor

I prefer my IPS to be made using IPS. PLS is nearly comparable to IPS but AHVA is definitely a step down that I would consider "almost IPS".

I hate to say it but you're wrong. It's not almost ips, it's ips.

Look at the close up shots of the pixels and not only that. But this monitor is better then older ips monitor's.

i5 4670k @4Ghz - CM Hyper 212 EVO - 2x4GB Kinston HyperX Blu - Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition Kingston HyperX 3K SSD / WD Black 1TB HDD Gigabyte Z87X-D3H XFX XTR 750 (PSU) - Antec 900 - ASUS PB278Q 2014 AHVA Monitor