Unethical Computer Handling

Buckley

'Do as I tell, not as i do'  :P

I don't take my own advice seriously. Also that 'fuck it' mentality.

Not me these parts cost to damn much.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I don't use a anti-static wrist strap. Just a bit of *tap* to something metal and I'm goooooood.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I was like that when handling my former super slow laptop which I now took apart because I hated it. I would often pick it up by the screen. The specs to it were an amd dual core 1ghz with radeon gtx 6250 intergrated graphics.

The thing that holds RAM went under my GPU and I was too lazy to take the GPU out, so I pulled the GPU a little and got the RAM holder out.

The only time I was really careful, was when I transported a HDD from my old case to my table, and back to the new case.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

I always ground myself I just never want to fry anything :P

youre only going to fry it if there is power going through it....

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Yeah but how many computers are you actually touching? 1 every 6 months?

at least 2 or 3 times a week lmao

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

I just touch the back of my computer case and I'm set :) Speaking of which, whenever I work on my pc, I always have to do it on my dad's dining room table which is raised up pretty high off the floor (Despite being 6'2 it's still annoying to reach while working). I'm considering just upgrading my PC tomorrow on my bed, especially since my bedroom is where my pc is going to live from now on. should I do it?

Life.exe is missing

I just touch the back of my computer case and I'm set :) Speaking of which, whenever I work on my pc, I always have to do it on my dad's dining room table which is raised up pretty high off the floor (Despite being 6'2 it's still annoying to reach while working). I'm considering just upgrading my PC tomorrow on my bed, especially since my bedroom is where my pc is going to live from now on. should I do it?

there is really no risk build on your bed

I dont wear ESD bracelets or any of that crap. I leave my power cord plugged in....problem solved.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

As in everything in life, you roll the dice it can come up 7 in many combinations for along time but eventually you'll get snake eyes, its just a matter of time or another roll of the dice.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I've removed my GPU while my PC is on, I never wear an esd bracelet, I didn't use the standoff adapter and just finger-tighten them, I keep my spare ram in my metal desk with nothing protecting it.

However when I'm building a PC for a friend I handle it like a newborn baby, wearing surgical gloves and ESD bracelets and putting my hair in a toque to avoid it getting in my eyes.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

When I first built my PC I thought if I so much as touched a component, I would ruin it. Now I just say fuck it and don't use too much caution when removing or installing parts.

I'm kind of half and half.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Im defiantly rough sometimes to the point where Im worried if I just knocked a resistor off of the graphics card

Does anyone else just have a "fuck it" attitude when it comes to PC parts and electronics? Like I never discharge myself, or work on hard surfaces like wood or granite, test for loop leaks etc... I've never ran into an issue where its screwed me over or even came close. I can't be the only one

For me, it depends on the hardware. If it even resembles some sort of audio gear, then I have to be the most careful person in the world with it, because it always seems to break within 6 months. -.-

Everything else though... meh.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Sometimes I stick my hand inside the case to feel the temperature of the southbridge.

I dunno, but I got zapped by static in the Apple Store once...

What the fuck...

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 8GB | CM Elite 130

I work on a dusty vinyl floor... Stack my parts on top of each other... and basically my workplace is a mess... But when it comes to the parts themselves, I'm pretty careful... Especially if they aren't mine...

Never wear a band only a head band so i think i'm sporting :P

No No No

I always put my computer(s) together in my bathtub.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

Damaging it, like shocking it, doesn't matter when it's turned off.... I've shocked multiple RROD Xbox's that I tinkered with an they all still powered on.

Can you please provide proof or evidence to back up this rather bold (lel) claim?

ESD directly to a piece of ram or a IC/CPU can definitely kill it outright. No power is needed, because YOU are supplying all the power it needs to get fried/create small short circuits.

Hypothetically even traces on the motherboard could cause damage to the board if exposed to ESD while unpowered, but this is less of a risk.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I always put my computer(s) together in my bathtub.

Bringing efficiency to the Kentucky way to apply thermal paste, huh?