The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered!

• 2 weeks later...

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-we-hear.html

you really should read this

I really love that link. It is what i'be been I have been saying to those around me in life for a long time. Well, all that and more... I'm not nearly as well versed.

Besides, his links also lead me to this:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

and

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com Which is Hilarious! I've seen this happen in all sorts of forums for all sorts of consumer products.

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting to post this for abit but kept forgetting. Thanks to mr moose for reminding me of Ethan Winer.  

I've been wanting to post this for abit but kept forgetting. Thanks to @mr moose for reminding me of Ethan Winer.

I'll add this at the top of the FAQ.  It's just so matter-of-fact and damning.

ShearMe I'll add your review too.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I've been looking for an answer for quite a bit and still no clue what people mean when they say that headphones may be fatiguing, can anyone answer me?

:/

I've been looking for an answer for quite a bit and still no clue what people mean when they say that headphones may be fatiguing, can anyone answer me?

Usually means the treble is harsh.

Thanks!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

If you want to speak "Head-Fi" this is the dictionary.  A few caveats though, since not everyone means quite the same thing when they describe any of this stuff.  According to Head-Fi, this babble is somehow more useful to the "pleb" than measurements since they'll understand this but not a graph.  Sure thing.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

If you want to speak "Head-Fi" this is the dictionary.  A few caveats though, since not everyone means quite the same thing when they describe any of this stuff.  According to Head-Fi, this babble is somehow more useful to the "pleb" than measurements since they'll understand this but not a graph.  Sure thing.

Is that really what they think? Not sure if that's funny or sad...

I had this in my infographic folder from a few years ago,

unsure if the pricing or anything is relevant anymore, but I used it as quick comparison guide back then 

-snip-

Nice sheet. I agree with everything besides the M50's.

That picture and it's derivatives have been floating around quite a while, but they're too cut-n-paste for me.

I had this in my infographic folder from a few years ago,

unsure if the pricing or anything is relevant anymore, but I used it as quick comparison guide back then 

<snip>

That appears to be the latest /g/ headphone guide.  They're usually a pretty moderate view of available headphones.  Note, however, that Head-Fi founder Jude's "favorite" headphone changes with the seasons, though.

That appears to be the latest /g/ headphone guide.  They're usually a pretty moderate view of available headphones.  Note, however, that Head-Fi founder Jude's "favorite" headphone changes with the seasons, though.

I dare say there is a correlation between his favorite headphones and headfi's main sponsor of the time.    My favorite headphones simply change with my mood.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That sheet slightly confused me, if a headphone is balanced, how can it have a colored response? I'm assuming they're a different thing then, but looking up some fancy audio dictionaries didn't help.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

That sheet slightly confused me, if a headphone is balanced, how can it have a colored response? I'm assuming they're a different thing then, but looking up some fancy audio dictionaries didn't help.

"balanced" refers to the fact that both cords that run to both drivers are of equal length and not run to one cup and then around to the other cup.  Audiophiles think this matters.  It really doesn't.

"balanced" refers to the fact that both cords that run to both drivers are of equal length and not run to one cup and then around to the other cup. Audiophiles think this matters. It really doesn't.

Is that what it actually means? This is borderline the most ridiculous thing I've heard. And I didn't mean your answer

"balanced" refers to the fact that both cords that run to both drivers are of equal length and not run to one cup and then around to the other cup. Audiophiles think this matters. It really doesn't.

You trolling bro?

Balanced signals are kind of like push/pull fan setups as opposed to just push or just pull.

You trolling bro?

Balanced signals are kind of like push/pull fan setups as opposed to just push or just pull.

So give or take about 10x better?

I'd like to put jk in a small font here but I'm on the phone so I can't

"balanced" refers to the fact that both cords that run to both drivers are of equal length and not run to one cup and then around to the other cup.  Audiophiles think this matters.  It really doesn't.

yeah it matters because the speed of light is 299 792 458M/s and the speed of sound is 343M/s, so the time it takes electrons travel from the left cup to the right cup (allowing for reduced speed due to it not being a vacuum and impurities in the conductor) leaves us with a right cup phase delay of 1.15x10-6 seconds. or  0.000000115 seconds. 

I don't know about you but I can't handle when one cup is that far out of phase. :angry:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So give or take about 10x better?

I'd like to put jk in a small font here but I'm on the phone so I can't

I'm not good at witty come backs though

I'm not good at witty come backs though

You don't need to, I'm going sleep so you'll have about 12 hours of time if I'm lucky.

But honestly it was a crap joke anyways, no need for wittyness

You trolling bro?

Aren't you thinking of balanced amps?  Not that those make much more sense except in higher power situations.

Aren't you thinking of balanced amps? Not that those make much more sense except in higher power situations.

I think the original question was regarding a headphone's center of mass. A nice balanced headphone should sit comfortably on your head and not move around too much if you turn your neck.