The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered!

When in combo with the E9, the E17 functions only as a DAC (ie: still 10ohms output impedance).

If you want something even after h264's words of wisdom, consider the E17 as a standalone. It's got the juice for most headphones, and is portable.

Why not an E10?

Why not an E10?

I just picked E17 since he already mentioned it, but E10 is good too. My new favorite is the Syba DAC, however.

This thread is pure gold for me. I learned quite a bit from he first post alone!

props on making this 

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

Didn't know this but I thought normally you couldn't hear the difference if you used a high bitrate MP3 vs FLAC?

Didn't know this but I thought normally you couldn't hear the difference if you used a high bitrate MP3 vs FLAC?

Did you happen to read any further? Or are you being just as ironic.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Did you happen to read any further? Or are you being just as ironic.

What he did say is you can start to hear a difference over time even at 320Kbps so my question is does it justify the extra space for FLAC? The first post of this thread states we should get the highest quality rip possible so there seems to be some confusion as to whether FLAC really does aid or add anything to sound quality provided you have a decent mastering.

What he did say is you can start to hear a difference over time even at 320Kbps so my question is does it justify the extra space for FLAC? The first post of this thread states we should get the highest quality rip possible so there seems to be some confusion as to whether FLAC really does aid or add anything to sound quality provided you have a decent mastering.

And in the next post I believe someone said "an oldie but a goodie", clearly indicating that the person he replied to was being ironic.

And for listening flac files aren't really needed as a good mp3 is smaller and the difference is inaudible.

But flacs are great for storing the files in a digital format as you can make the mp3s without a loss in quality compared with e.g. making a lossly encoded file to an mp3.

And in the next post I believe someone said "an oldie but a goodie", clearly indicating that the person he replied to was being ironic.

And for listening flac files aren't really needed as a good mp3 is smaller and the difference is inaudible.

But flacs are great for storing the files in a digital format as you can make the mp3s without a loss in quality compared with e.g. making a lossly encoded file to an mp3.

It's hard to distinguish between irony and sarcasm online so I wasn't sure if he was being serious about audio degradation over time. Just trying to get the facts straight man! 

It's hard to distinguish between irony and sarcasm online so I wasn't sure if he was being serious about audio degradation over time. Just trying to get the facts straight man!

It was pretty much both, a sarcastic remark on the audio community employing lots of irony.

But anyways, getting the facts straight is always good and a key purpose of this thread.

Straight answer: "lossless" files lose data when compressed into mp3 or whatever it happens to be. They do not lose data over time.

Straight answer: "lossless" files lose data when compressed into mp3 or whatever it happens to be. They do not lose data over time.

Unless your hard drive starts developing bad sectors or something. But yes, Lyons was repeating a poor 4chan troll. There's no truth to any of that.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Successful troll is successful... :D

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Successful troll is successful... :D

not successful on me, I put my hard drives in the freezer to avoid file degradation. B)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

not successful on me, I put my hard drives in the freezer to avoid file degradation. B)

I use strictly tape storage for mine. No velocidensity to worry about!

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Speaking of that that actually does help them if they're close to dying and you need to recover some last minute files.

Btw I thought of the file degradation thing more like RAM errors w/ non ECC memory.

Speaking of that that actually does help them if they're close to dying and you need to recover some last minute files.

Btw I thought of the file degradation thing more like RAM errors w/ non ECC memory.

I've tried that 3 times and it's worked once. I'm going to go with only works if the head overheated so worth a shot but by no means foolproof.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I've a dodgy hdd here so I'll give it a crack. how long should I put it in for?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I've a dodgy hdd here so I'll give it a crack. how long should I put it in for?

don'y forget the plastic bag!

I store my audio files with my mind. Best format money can buy. Takes up a lot of storage, though; doing math is hard now.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

• 1 month later...

Is there anywhere I can buy a Fiio e10 in either the UK or Switzerland?! If not is there another cheapish equivalent?

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Is there anywhere I can buy a Fiio e10 in either the UK or Switzerland?! If not is there another cheapish equivalent?

E10 is out of production - E10K should be released sometime this year. I use this: Syba DAC

It's discontinued. A syba dac/amp is cheap but it's not the best. Not bad for the money though. 

E10 is out of production - E10K should be released sometime this year. I use this: Syba DAC

OOOO cool, does that have a microphone input I see?! O.o could be useful as my laptop jack is dying! Not useful for on the go... But setting up a portableish music setup in someones else's house is actually something I'm looking to do.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?