The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered!

I think the original question was regarding a headphone's center of mass. A nice balanced headphone should sit comfortably on your head and not move around too much if you turn your neck.

TBH I thought balanced usually refereed to the sensitivity and FR of each driver as being matched (balanced).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

TBH I thought balanced usually refereed to the sensitivity and FR of each driver as being matched (balanced).

Oh yes I forgot about matched drivers.  That can mean "balanced" too.  Tyll always describes "balanced armature drivers" when he talks about dynamic driver in order to be exact.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Hey I'm going to be recabling my DT770 soon. Do you think anyone would be interested in a guide for it? 

If you can take detailed pics or a video, yes. Otherwise, I think there's already plenty of "guides" that don't really help.

You guises confuzzle me by making all these silly explanations for balanced, normally they'd be hard to believe but the original(and most likely correct) answer is just as silly

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

You guises confuzzle me by making all these silly explanations for balanced, normally they'd be hard to believe but the original(and most likely correct) answer is just as silly

Pretty sure we were stating every single possibility of what balanced could mean.

sometimes this place descends into the mad hatters tea party, which is fine if you forget your medicine. but for the most part we thrash out ideas and terms until we conclude one way or the other what they mean.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Pretty sure we were stating every single possibility of what balanced could mean.

Oh, it's that bad

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Unfortunately, so many terms in the audio industry/reviews/advertising/etc fall into that trap. Either accidently or purposely.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some clarification about the sound cards and I know I am not good with computer yet and I am still a noob but learning. They just said some mumbo jumbo about things that totally don’t make sense like Logan from Tek Syndicate for why sound cards are bad and onboard is better because no one has graphs to prove anything but just in what they hear. I hear people talking about an O2 which I have no idea what it is (i keep thinking an oxygen sensor in a car but i know it’s not that), a DAC and a tube since i just learn that it just existed about 2 weeks ago now, binaural, and what does having a high impedance have to do with sound besides and other crap like that. I am just confused about this whole sound card thing that i have no idea who to believe since people keep talking about different things about it and not explaining anything to people who know nothing about audio (this article actually helped me with some questions I had). The Things that I DO know for sure is that having nothing but Analog is the best for sounds since there is not interference and it has an infinite number of levels (voltage levels) which can produce the best sounds. Now when you add the Digital signal in the equation, you only have 2 levels which in terms can't reproduce the quality of Analog. Since in computers it starts out as digital signal and goes along the traces and gets converted to analog, it loses some of the digital signal due to the Ohms (resistance) and capacitors which can bypass and block signals of digital thus scrambling the sound but can't be heard to the human hearing. Thats why they don't add many capacitors on them unless they have to. I’m just trying to figure out why sound cards are bad and DACs are good because aren’t DACs just external sound cards that do the same as an internal sound card just without the interference from noises inside the computer?? I know that some higher-end sound cards have a shield like what gets used in a microwave to prevent radiation getting out and the shield prevents the interference from getting to the sound card. So why are sound cards bad compared to DACs or vice versa. That’s what I need your help on is so I don’t says the wrong things again even though i'm just really confused about this situation. I personally had to buy a sound card since my onboard doesn't work and i didn't have much money to buy a more expensive card at the time but it was a Xonar DG 5.1, it was $30. Thinking about getting a new one also. Dont diss me about writing this, if i am wrong just correct me then.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

I need some clarification about the sound cards and I know I am not good with computer yet and I am still a noob but learning. They just said some mumbo jumbo about things that totally don’t make sense like Logan from Tek Syndicate for why sound cards are bad and onboard is better because no one has graphs to prove anything but just in what they hear. I hear people talking about an O2 which I have no idea what it is (i keep thinking an oxygen sensor in a car but i know it’s not that), a DAC and a tube since i just learn that it just existed about 2 weeks ago now, binaural, and what does having a high impedance have to do with sound besides and other crap like that. I am just confused about this whole sound card thing that i have no idea who to believe since people keep talking about different things about it and not explaining anything to people who know nothing about audio (this article actually helped me with some questions I had). The Things that I DO know for sure is that having nothing but Analog is the best for sounds since there is not interference and it has an infinite number of levels (voltage levels) which can produce the best sounds. Now when you add the Digital signal in the equation, you only have 2 levels which in terms can't reproduce the quality of Analog. Since in computers it starts out as digital signal and goes along the traces and gets converted to analog, it loses some of the digital signal due to the Ohms (resistance) and capacitors which can bypass and block signals of digital thus scrambling the sound but can't be heard to the human hearing. Thats why they don't add many capacitors on them unless they have to. I’m just trying to figure out why sound cards are bad and DACs are good because aren’t DACs just external sound cards that do the same as an internal sound card just without the interference from noises inside the computer?? I know that some higher-end sound cards have a shield like what gets used in a microwave to prevent radiation getting out and the shield prevents the interference from getting to the sound card. So why are sound cards bad compared to DACs or vice versa. That’s what I need your help on is so I don’t says the wrong things again even though i'm just really confused about this situation. I personally had to buy a sound card since my onboard doesn't work and i didn't have much money to buy a more expensive card at the time but it was a Xonar DG 5.1, it was $30. Thinking about getting a new one also. Dont diss me about writing this, if i am wrong just correct me then.

Well, you are right about somethings, all sound solutions have a dac, and for all intents and purposes they are identical,  an external one is better because it is outside the pc case and thus away from interference. An internal sound card is not necessarily worse, however in general it is worse because 1. it has a higher chance of picking up interference from nearby components regardless of the shielding, 2 for what ever reason the designers can't seem to make one with a low output impedance like every other top grade amp/sound solution out there and 3. becasue they are pc and game oriented devices the drivers are over complicated and crashy with all the bells and whistles they include.

Most of the other stuff you have questioned is at the start of this thread. I will however point out that digital music, the digital signal is vastly superior to any analog recording technology humans know about. It is not two levels but in fact 16bit audio is sampled at 65,000 possible analog integers. (that's a lot. for reference: vinyl = about 20,000 and professional 1" tape = about 40-50,000)

The Things that I DO know for sure is that having nothing but Analog is the best for sounds since there is not interference and it has an infinite number of levels (voltage levels) which can produce the best sounds. Now when you add the Digital signal in the equation, you only have 2 levels which in terms can't reproduce the quality of Analog. 

Incorrect. There is no way to completely storage an original analog signal. Even physical storage mediums like vinyl have their limitations. Instead of providing a technical explanation, I'll put forth a simple argument.

If you think about it, audio is much simpler to capture than video, but you don't see anyone arguing that digital video is less superior to analog video - right? Digital audio is simply a representation of voltage values - Video is much more complex, with length, width, and color values. On top of that, Human sight is better than hearing. If you can watch a TV show, and it seems like an accurate representation of what you would have seen had you been there instead of the camera, how could audio be any different? 

Here's some informative stuff: Try The McGurk Effect! - Audio Myths Workshop - A Digital Media Primer for Geeks - Digital Show & Tell

Since in computers it starts out as digital signal and goes along the traces and gets converted to analog, it loses some of the digital signal due to the Ohms (resistance) and capacitors which can bypass and block signals of digital thus scrambling the sound but can't be heard to the human hearing. Thats why they don't add many capacitors on them unless they have to.

The digital signal doesn't lose anything before conversion. A 1 sent to the DAC will be read as a 1 by the DAC, and the same for a 0. After that, each component does add some minor amount of distortion to the analog signal, but that's just the nature of analog signals, audio or not. Any well-designed circuit will keep these distortions inaudible to even more scrutable animals than we lowly humans, had they the intellect to determine such a difference. The number or quality of capacitors doesn't necessarily determine anything.

I’m just trying to figure out why sound cards are bad and DACs are good because aren’t DACs just external sound cards that do the same as an internal sound card just without the interference from noises inside the computer??

The main reason we here often argue against a soundcard is due to their complexity. Sure, in some instances, that complexity is desired or even required, but modern onboard audio usually has all the features anyone will need. If you want something "better" than onboard audio,  an external DAC and amp will often measure better, while a soundcard will merely add features, and usually features you don't really want or need.

I know that some higher-end sound cards have a shield like what gets used in a microwave to prevent radiation getting out and the shield prevents the interference from getting to the sound card.  

Shielding is valid in a hostile pc case, but more often than not, if interference is a problem it is so bad that shielding wont resolve the issue. The best way to diminish the effects of EMI is distance, and an external solution will give you all the distance you want.

I personally had to buy a sound card since my onboard doesn't work and i didn't have much money to buy a more expensive card at the time but it was a Xonar DG 5.1, it was $30.

That's the only reason soundcards exist, my friend! In the early days of computers, onboard audio didn't exist, so you had to add that feature in with an add-on soundcard. 

My remarks in bold above.

The big thing to remember, is price-to-performance ratios. Are expensive soundcards better than onboard audio? Sure, but only by a little, and surely they're not worth the premium cost when there's other products which are superior for the same money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How big will be the improvement if i decide to use Fiio e9 insteand Xonar dgx?

not much, unless there is static or interference with the Xonar.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Maybe more bass and more highs depending on the headphones.

the output impedance should be 10ohm on both.

I'd doubt there'd be any major difference.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Oh shite, did he say e9? Derp on my part.

really? nice..

Listen to grand wizard t0wer, mayne.

And so if i want an audio improvement i have to add the e17 amp

Keep in mind the first answer in the FAQ.  Compared to a change in headphones, an amplifier's overall effect on your audio quality is MINIMAL in nearly all cases.  Only worry about an amp if you can't already get enough volume out of what you currently have or what you have has static, pops, or other issues (onboard dead, etc).  Even output impedance isn't a very noticeable effect to a casual listener, but it certainly matters more than SNR or THD by a mile.  Noise on sensitive IEMs can be plainly audible as well and is another reason to worry about your amplification.  However, if you don't have any of these problems, a new amps won't fix the ones you have or think you have.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

When in combo with the E9, the E17 functions only as a DAC (ie: still 10ohms output impedance).

If you want something even after h264's words of wisdom, consider the E17 as a standalone. It's got the juice for most headphones, and is portable.