The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered!

Where was this post all my life? I spend over 30++ hours reading about audio and this post just conclude most of the things i read. I agree 100% with this post! We need more of these!

Where was this post all my life? I spend over 30++ hours reading about audio and this post just conclude most of the things i read. I agree 100% with this post! We need more of these!

That's why I made it, there's too much misinformation about audio.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it was already posted.

The Realtek ALC898 chipset has 2 Ohm impedance too. Just to add some info ^^

Awesome topic by the way, was very helpfll! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but:
Windows by default sets the output on integrated sound cards as NON-full-range speakers because it expects that user is using crappy 2.0 speakers or a dedicated subwoofer.

This means it will "cut-off" (mitigating them actually) low frequencies and this my be a problem for people having 2.1 speakers on a single cable (those have built-in crossover) or headphones.

TL;DR If you feel like you are missing some basses, go to Control Panel -> Sound -> left click on your audio output -> Click on "Configure" on the bottom left -> Next -> Check the box to set it as full-speakers.

I don't know how big the difference is. If someone can prove this being true/false in an empirical way, it would be very appreciated.

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but:

Windows by default sets the output on integrated sound cards as NON-full-range speakers because it expects that user is using crappy 2.0 speakers or a dedicated subwoofer.

This means it will "cut-off" (mitigating them actually) low frequencies and this my be a problem for people having 2.1 speakers on a single cable (those have built-in crossover) or headphones.

TL;DR If you feel like you are missing some basses, go to Control Panel -> Sound -> left click on your audio output -> Click on "Configure" on the bottom left -> Next -> Check the box to set it as full-speakers.

I don't know how big the difference is. If someone can prove this being true/false in an empirical way, it would be very appreciated.

I hear no difference with my o2 amp and modded Fostex. 

I hear no difference with my o2 amp and modded Fostex. 

Well, me neither. Now I'm wondering what is the purpose of that setting...

YEA I DID SOMETHING

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Le overlorde @h264 still has to decide yay or nay. 

YA BUT I DID SOMETHING SO ITS OK

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

This could be helpful to add: 

500x556px-LL-70a9c91b_main_chart.jpeg

credit @Lays

Forgive my ignorance but I assume this is a chart that shows the possible frequency response of various instruments versus some various "descriptions" / keys on the bottom.  Is there a scientific basis for these descriptions or are they just accepted descriptions as understood by the chart creator?  Cause I've heard of about 10 different definitions of sibilance for instance.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Forgive my ignorance but I assume this is a chart that shows the possible frequency response of various instruments versus some various "descriptions" / keys on the bottom.  Is there a scientific basis for these descriptions or are they just accepted descriptions as understood by the chart creator?  Cause I've heard of about 10 different definitions of sibilance for instance.

Oh shoot, I didn't even notice the bottom part. Can't you just photoshop that out or something?

Here ya go 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gb0aks6k0sudc4t/Instrument%20Frequency.png

Who needs photoshop when there's paint? lol

I didn't want you to leave that part out I just wanted to explain the top part was scientific and the bottom part was opinion once I found a place for it.  The bottom part is still a useful graphic for people who have no idea what head-fi is smoking if they've just stumbled out of there.

I didn't want you to leave that part out I just wanted to explain the top part was scientific and the bottom part was opinion once I found a place for it.  The bottom part is still a useful graphic for people who have no idea what head-fi is smoking if they've just stumbled out of there.

Oh well you have both now. When I read the bottom part I just got confused so idk. 

Oh well you have both now. When I read the bottom part I just got confused so idk. 

Yeah, I added it. Confusion is expected I suppose, but that's sorta the point, isn't it?

Lachlan compiled info from those Xiph.org videos into something a bit more accessible to the general population: 

• 1 month later...

They best way to improve your listening experience is captured in this picture:

bi0WPE6l.jpg

So the recipe is:

1. Find your favorite alcoholic beverage and pour it into a glass

2. Drink it

3. Feel the effect

4. ???

5. Pure sonic bliss

-Snip

bj5WK2e.jpg

I take my best headphone photos in my sisters bathroom. Because I am equally high class. 

They best way to improve your listening experience is captured in this picture:

bi0WPE6l.jpg

So the recipe is:

1. Find your favorite alcoholic beverage and pour it into a glass

2. Drink it

3. Feel the effect

4. ???

5. Pure sonic bliss

6. Repeat

Is "OK, fine, but can't you just tell me what to get already and be done with it?  This is all very confusing!" still "correct"? Thinking about the ATH-M50 and E10K. 

Is "OK, fine, but can't you just tell me what to get already and be done with it?  This is all very confusing!" still "correct"? Thinking about the ATH-M50 and E10K. 

M40X is close enough and has a removable cable, whereas the original M50 is more expensive and does not. Also, the E10/E10K, is not really necessary for those headphones if your onboard doesn't have EMI/static/pops/crackle/hiss.

I still think so, but it's my opinion alone (as stated at the top) so take it with a grain of salt.