Guts of the xbox one

Its interesting to find a heatsink +fan on CPU for the new console. Also nice to know that you can also change the HDD ( probably going to void warranty.... etc.). Let me know what you guys think about new console except how much it sucks against PC

Pictures : http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one-development-photos/#slideid-138497

Article: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

Mobo: GA-990XA-UD3 / Cpu: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.4Ghz / Memory: 2x4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz patriot intel extreme masters

VGA: xfx HD R7870 2GB  HDD: WD Black 1TB

Power Supply: Cx 500 Watts 80+ Bronze / Case: Corsair 200R / Cooler: Coolmaster 212 Evo

the fan looks pretty flt and wide xD and wheres the ram? O>o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'm pretty sure that the RAM are the modules gathered around the CPU/(gpu?) 

Its interesting that there are pictures of the motherboard and all that already, wasn't it just shown today? geez. To me its not that interesting to see a heatsink + fan on a console CPU, look at the 360 and PS3.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

They said you can't change the HDD. You can use your own external HDDs though.

They said you can't change the HDD. You can use your own external HDDs though.

I hope they won't limit it though as they did with X360.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

I should hope not, especially if this is your only option. :\

You can change HDD on the current Xboxes.  Why can't you on the new one?  Physically not possible or formatting issues?  We can get around formatting issues.   Any good tech with a soldering iron can probably get around the physical issues as well. :P

Looking at those pics....oh yeah man that HDD will come out. ;p

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

You can change HDD on the current Xboxes.  Why can't you on the new one?  Physically not possible or formatting issues?  We can get around formatting issues.   Any good tech with a soldering iron can probably get around the physical issues as well. :P

By change do you mean use another microsoft certified drive?  If you are changing the drive in the enclosure of the 360 you have to use 3rd party firmware on the drive so it's not really supported.  The ability to use external drives in the Xbox One is a great compromise to just being able to switch out the drive.  It keeps it simpler for the user, and with USB 3.0 you will still have great performance.  Now we just need USB 3.0 external enclosures/drive to become more mainstream.  Hopefully this will help push it there.

Maybe so you the main firmware is always there and you don't need to somehow reinstall it? After all, all the current Xbox HDDs are from Microsoft, so they must be preloaded with that stuff.

By change do you mean use another microsoft certified drive?  If you are changing the drive in the enclosure of the 360 you have to use 3rd party firmware on the drive so it's not really supported.  The ability to use external drives in the Xbox One is a great compromise to just being able to switch out the drive.  It keeps it simpler for the user, and with USB 3.0 you will still have great performance.  Now we just need USB 3.0 external enclosures/drive to become more mainstream.  Hopefully this will help push it there.

I was referring to either one.  Both MS certified and regular laptop SATA drives will work.   With the SATA drives you just have to download some utilities and do a little extra work.    I agree external drives should be nice but its really late in the game to just now start supporting external. 

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

I was referring to either one.  Both MS certified and regular laptop SATA drives will work.   With the SATA drives you just have to download some utilities and do a little extra work.    I agree external drives should be nice but its really late in the game to just now start supporting external. 

Well, when you think about it, at launch of the 360, outside of Halo 2 DLC was not a huge thing.  Almost everything was on disc.  The 360 had no ability to install games to the HDD, and Microsoft probably did not think it would become an entertainment centre for music, movies, etc.  The y probably did not think they needed so much storage.  But now, with the rise of DLC, and the ability to install games, space is becoming a larger feature.  With the 360 they tried to alleviate it with larger certified drives (really the only thing they could do at that point) and the ability to use external storage (up to an extent i think).  But the Xbox one is designed with external storage in mind.  I would not call it late, but I would call it necessary.

If I bought an xbox I'd find a way to put an 840 pro in it....

I was thinking about the same thing. But you'd have to figure out how to move the OSes over so it will be faster :D

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

The 360 could use a drive up to a 2TB before partitioning would be needed.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

the fan looks pretty flt and wide xD and wheres the ram? O>o

i think its on the motherboard like next to the cpu if u look closely... i don't know exactly though 

Mobo: GA-990XA-UD3 / Cpu: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.4Ghz / Memory: 2x4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz patriot intel extreme masters

Power Supply: Cx 500 Watts 80+ Bronze / Case: Corsair 200R / Cooler: Coolmaster 212 Evo

External storage will be able to the same things as the internal storage (install games, saves, etc,).

At least its usb 3.0 :D 

I was thinking about the same thing. But you'd have to figure out how to move the OSes over so it will be faster :D

Maybe a simple cloning tool would do it? 

Maybe a simple cloning tool would do it?

How would moving the OS to SSD (or anywhere) make it faster? Its currently embedded into a chip, right? Embedded is the fastest you're going to get. Use SSD for caching.

The 360 could use a drive up to a 2TB before partitioning would be needed.

He was referring to external storage, which the xbox 360 limited to  32GB.

Ah OK. :)

I'm pretty sure that the RAM are the modules gathered around the CPU/(gpu?) 

Its interesting that there are pictures of the motherboard and all that already, wasn't it just shown today? geez. To me its not that interesting to see a heatsink + fan on a console CPU, look at the 360 and PS3.

pretty sure those were passive cooled, with fans in the back of the case (fat) or side (slim)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

pretty sure those were passive cooled, with fans in the back of the case (fat) or side (slim)

No, the PS3 and Xbox had heatsinks, with the fans behind them rather than on top, but it ain't passive for sure.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

He was referring to external storage, which the xbox 360 limited to  32GB.

OH ok

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!