First build and first forum post

I'm going to bed now guys, but you can still keep commenting the build and maybe talk with each other about the build because i really want a good build at something around the same price as the build i first talked about. I will be back sometime tomorrow after school to check if there are any new comments. Thanks for all the good answers, I really appreciate all the help you have given me!

I contacted my friend through Facebook and he didn't quite agree with what all of you have said. He says that the reason that the PSU are that good is because it's gonna make it future proof. He also says that that changing to a air cooler is stupid because i will be transporting it to LAN parties and other. He says that he selected the H60 just to replace the one stock-cooler and that the H60 is an ok cooler.

The Noctua NH-D14 is only 1/10 of a lb heavier than the h60 but is much better. 

If you really want a lighter lan computer, the Hyper 212 plus/evo is 1/2 lb lighter than the h60, has only a bit less cooling power, and is cheaper.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Noctua NH-D14 is only 1/10 of a lb heavier than the h60 but is much better. 

If you really want a lighter lan computer, the Hyper 212 plus/evo is 1/2 lb lighter than the h60, has only a bit less cooling power, and is cheaper.

i think the concern is more about the pressure on the motherboard and the cpu socket then about the weight. Tower coolers tend to have very high leverage in this regard.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

i think the concern is more about the pressure on the motherboard and the cpu socket then about the weight. Tower coolers tend to have very high leverage in this regard.

The NH-D14 comes with an excellent mounting bracket and the motherboard should have no problem. I'm not too sure about the Hyper 212's though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am back guys! I'm starting to get kinda confused because you guys says one thing and my friend says something else. Maybe you should talk to him? I can send him the forum so that you and my friend can come to a conclusion. That will make it a lot easier because I'm not 100% sure what he really means.

I am back guys! I'm starting to get kinda confused because you guys says one thing and my friend says something else. Maybe you should talk to him? I can send him the forum so that you and my friend can come to a conclusion. That will make it a lot easier because I'm not 100% sure what he really means.

Great Idea!

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

He said that he didn't want/need to come here and comment . It seems like he is really sure about h60 being good enough for my build.

We have been talking quite much about the cooler and some about the PSU, but are the rest of the build good/perfect? 

Well, i think the rest is pretty much okay. If you have some money left maybe think about:

1. Samsung 840 pro 256GB instead of 128GB (just to be able to get a couple more programms and games onto the drive)
  2. 3TB HDD instead of 2TB (I would go with WD Green EZRX for storage or Black for programms/games, but the Seagate should be fine too), atleast in germany you get the best Gigabyte/Money ratio out of 3TB
  3. 2x8GB (16GB) DDR3 Ram instead of 2x4GB (8GB). Its not a necessity but you get some headroom for working with large files and caching. Its just much more convinient to be able to let a couple of programms (like firefox with many tabs) open while doing something else (like gaming)

We have been talking quite much about the cooler and some about the PSU, but are the rest of the build good/perfect? 

Yeah it seems quite good :P, although i actually would say you should go for 2 GTX 660's in SLI, same price better performance.

, but i don't think everyone would recommend that.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Yeah it seems quite good :P, although i actually would say you should go for 2 GTX 660's in SLI, same price better performance.

, but i don't think everyone would recommend that.

Nah, i think I'm going with a single card solution, but thanks for the advise!

Well, i think the rest is pretty much okay. If you have some money left maybe think about:

1. Samsung 840 pro 256GB instead of 128GB (just to be able to get a couple more programms and games onto the drive)
  2. 3TB HDD instead of 2TB (I would go with WD Green EZRX for storage or Black for programms/games, but the Seagate should be fine too), atleast in germany you get the best Gigabyte/Money ratio out of 3TB
  3. 2x8GB (16GB) DDR3 Ram instead of 2x4GB (8GB). Its not a necessity but you get some headroom for working with large files and caching. Its just much more convinient to be able to let a couple of programms (like firefox with many tabs) open while doing something else (like gaming)

I don't know if I'm going to use more money that the cost of the current build, but I don't think I'm going for anything more expensive. I might go for a 3TB instead of 2TB as you say because i might need it for tv series and movies. I don't download that much with my current computer, but that's because it only has 500GB storage.

should have some decent headroom with 8 gb of ram as in  being able to play games and have lots of browser tabs in the background at the same time.. and other scenarios ofcourse :P

probably wouldn't need more unless he is going to do something very specifik?

should have some decent headroom with 8 gb of ram as in  being able to play games and have lots of browser tabs in the background at the same time.. and other scenarios ofcourse :P

I'm only going to use it for normal gaming stuff like gaming and watching videos. I am actually buying 2 8 gb ram sticks if you didn't see the x2 beside the product on the list.

Well i actually use around 8GB most of the time (even i got not that much open)... that would leave absolutly no room for windows cache, which is bad for performance. But I got 32 GB and do alot of working.

Also its not a requirment or something, just recommended it incase he has some money left.

I'm only going to use it for normal gaming stuff like gaming and watching videos. I am actually buying 2 8 gb ram sticks if you didn't see the x2 beside the product on the list.

Didnt see it, but you listed a pack with 2x4gb (2x) i wouldnt do that. rather get a 16gb kit with 2x8gb so you can upgrade to 32gb if you ever need it. Price should be pretty much the same.

Didnt see it, but you listed a pack with 2x4gb (2x) i wouldnt do that. rather get a 16gb kit with 2x8gb so you can upgrade to 32gb if you ever need it. Price should be pretty much the same.

My friend actually added one 16gb kit on a older list he sent me. I don't know why he changed it because i never asked, but i can ask him now if you want.

It actually turns out that i added the wrong kit! This is the one he wants me to buy http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010543811/corsair-vengeance-minne-16-gb-4-x-4-gb-dimm-240-pin-ddr3/#intcmp=searchProvider_dacsa. I'm going to change that right away! I'm sorry if I'm making any other mistakes here. I'm not that good with computers, that's why i asked my friend for advise.

It actually turns out that i added the wrong kit! This is the one he wants me to buy http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010543811/corsair-vengeance-minne-16-gb-4-x-4-gb-dimm-240-pin-ddr3/#intcmp=searchProvider_dacsa. I'm going to change that right away! I'm sorry if I'm making any other mistakes here. I'm not that good with computers, that's why i asked my friend for advise.

get this

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010621927/corsair-16gb-ddr3-vengeance-pc3-12800-1600mhz-cl10-2x8gb/

or that

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010659260/corsair-16gb-ddr3-vengeance-lp-pc3-12800-1600mhz-cl10-2x8gb/ (Low Profile variant, basically the same, looks better in my opinion)

instead!

With this you could still add another 16GB later if you want.

get this

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010621927/corsair-16gb-ddr3-vengeance-pc3-12800-1600mhz-cl10-2x8gb/

or that

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010659260/corsair-16gb-ddr3-vengeance-lp-pc3-12800-1600mhz-cl10-2x8gb/ (Low Profile variant, basically the same, looks better in my opinion)

instead!

With this you could still add another 16GB later if you want.

I won't need more than 16gb ram until later when i have to change out the hole computer. I won't do that in several times and in that time there might be a new memory standard. But the 2x8 set cost pretty much the same so i might buy that set just in case I'm going to change it earlier.

But the 2x8 set cost pretty much the same so i might buy that set just in case I'm going to change it earlier.

Exactly, thats what i meant. You never know if you ever need more Ram, and with 2x8 you got the possibilty to just add some more and not need to replace the whole kit. If you don't want to do extreme Ram overclocking or something like that (if any) you can just decide between the normal and the LP kit. whatever is cheaper or looks better to you

i got 2 sets of the LP variant one in blue, one in black

Exactly, thats what i meant. You never know if you ever need more Ram, and with 2x8 you got the possibilty to just add some more and not need to replace the whole kit. If you don't want to do extreme Ram overclocking or something like that (if any) you can just decide between the normal and the LP kit. whatever is cheaper or looks better to you

i got 2 sets of the LP variant one in blue, one in black

I don't think i will need a LP kit with my H60. It seems like the 2x8 would be smarter to buy so thanks for the advise! I'm changing the list again.

sometimes the LP Kit is even cheaper, i dont care for the heatsink on the normal ones (style & usefullness) its not like its gonna help me anything...

Since i just joined this community and this is my first forum post i just want to say hi and thank you for building up such a great community! I have only been checking this forum for less than a week, but still i can see that this is a great community and i hope i will get a lot of use for it.

Now to the real topic. I have been using a laptop (a ok one, but it's starting to get pretty bad) for 2-3 years now I have been thinking a lot about buying a new computer, but not a laptop this time. I have been getting some help from a friend of me that knows quite much about computers, but still i wanna be sure that it is good enough for me. He said that he may be upgrading the list later, but i will post the list that i have at the moment. Oh, and before i do that i should tell you that I'm going to buy the computer somewhere between Saturday and the week after. The reason of that is since i live in Norway there is some sort of celebration every young people to when they are 15 if they choose to do so. I don't know if it really is a English name for it since it is only a celebration in Norway. Out of this i will get something between 15-30k NOK (The type of money we use in Norway) which I think is 2,5-5k US dollars. Here's the list:

CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE 1600MHZ CL9 (2X8GB)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB

INTEL CORE I5 3570K 3.4GHZ 6MB S-1155 IVY

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 FTW 2GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP

CORSAIR HX850 MODULAR GOLD 850W

MSI Z77 MPOWER Z77 S-1155 ATX IVY

SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 128GB SSD SATA/600 MLC

FRACTAL DESIGN MIDITOWER DEFINE R4 TITANIUM WINDOW

SAMSUNG DVD±R/RW/RAM DL 24X SATA BULK BLACK

CORSAIR H60 HYDRO CPU COOLER S-1155/1366/2011/AM3+ NEW

BENQ XL2411T 24" WIDE TFT LED 144HZ BLACK

NZXT HUE RGB LED CONTROL

If you wonder why there are links there it is because I just copied it right from the online store my friend recommended since that was a lot easier than writing it down. Thanks for the help and i really hope that i will have more use of this forum sooner or later.

I wudd say go for msi gtx 670 power edition really good overclock card and a 750w psu so u can have extra in case u want to run sli

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

I wudd say go for msi gtx 670 power edition really good overclock card and a 750w psu so u can have extra in case u want to run sli

I think I'm going to stay with the EVGA version of the 670 and i don't think I'm going to run sli.