Looking to silence my Node 304

Nattan

Well guys I just bought a node 304 and made it into a freenas system, it works well aside from some minor things that I am sure will eventually bug me but for now it is a solid build, except for the the internal fan noise.

It is the loudest system on idle in the room and it is sitting on the desk. All the other rigs are liquid cooled and have Noctua fans, my issue is that I hate the fact that the smaller noctua fans are still $20 a pop.

Q: Any suggestions for cheaper dead silent fans, and maybe a passive or super quiet replacement stock cooler ( it would be replacing the amd stock cooler for an a6-4500k). I am looking to set finish off this system with around $80-100 more. ( would be 1 140 mm fan (2) 92mm fans and a replacement cooler )

Q2: Should i just stuck it up and buy the noctua fans?

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

Q1: As for the passive heat sink this silverstone one seems to have a lot of surface area    http://goo.gl/Rd0Eb

Q2 : Well Linus has proved by his silence freakyness that noctua fans are the greatest silence fans. 

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

What kind of system are you hauling inside?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What kind of system are you hauling inside?

i have a boot drive, (3) 3TB drivers in a raid z( basically raid 5)  and (1) 240 GB ssd as cache

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

i have a boot drive, (3) 3TB drivers in a raid z( basically raid 5)  and (1) 240 GB ssd as cache

Talk about a large cache. Why don't you use the ssd as the main drive?

As for the cooler, a hyper 212 evo should work. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Talk about a large cache. Why don't you use the ssd as the main drive?

As for the cooler, a hyper 212 evo should work. 

the maindrive on a freenas is unusable and as i plan to never shut it off ( the main reason why i want it silent) boot times are irrelevant. Not that I planned to have an extra 240Gb cache but it was just laying around so why not?

My Setup:

the maindrive on a freenas is unusable and as i plan to never shut it off ( the main reason why i want it silent) boot times are irrelevant. Not that I planned to have an extra 240Gb cache but it was just lying around so why not?

You have...a 240gb ssd...lying around.

I am jelly right now. Put me on bread.

lol i just realized my own typo laying around not lying, anyways ya it was for a raid 0, but the raid 0 speed was less than a single drive which was soo weird, probably due to the onboard raid controller but oh well at least its being used now.

My Setup: