A Simple Mod: Silencing the EVGA 750Ti FTW w/ ACX

Many people complained that the EVGA 750Ti FTW w/ ACX was too loud at idle even after the BIOS update revision fan control. I would be one that has to agree. Basically the issues comes down to the fact that fans it was spec'd with were too high RPM and that they can only go down to 42% since they are voltage controlled. Many people found that even with a max OC the card never needed to leave idle. Even the EVGA tech I talked to admitted to me that his never went above ~45%. This means that they could have easily spec'd the card with fans that say had 50% the max speed as the current ones and have been perfectly fine.

With EVGA cards as long as yo ucan put it back in its shipped state (nothing modified on the card) you dont void the warranty. Since no one makes any after market coolers for the two maxwell cards I came up with a slight mod my self. I happed to have the slim 92mm noctua fan left from anothe fit and it seemed to be the perfect fit. I did all of this just by taking off the shroud and unplugging the old fans. You could actually fit two of the Noctua's in there and put the shroud back on. But only if you didnt mind voiding the warranty by doing a bit of dremeling. And no i did not put the shroud back on its just for demonstration purposes.

Well tell me what you guys think. I know it not pretty but it in a HTPC where silence it paramount.

Addition: Another cool thing you might like to know is that I actually had a adapter from noctua that allowed me to plug the fan directly into the GPU without making anything myself. Also many of you may not have seen these before since they are kinda old school but those black screws were very common in the past and actually screw into the fins on the heatsink. I probably scavenged them off motherboard or other device I scrapped.

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

It doesn't look half bad with the shroud off.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

the heatsink is still oversize

and that fan...

better with the cover off

a fan poking in the middle of the cover is weird 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It doesn't look half bad with the shroud off.

The side profile is pretty bad but like I said its in my HTPC so no biggie. Its in a 750D but I got a second solid side panel so that I could add some after market sound dampening so you never see it BUT you did hear it!

LOL thats hilarious!

Whats so hilarious? >.>

the heatsink is still oversize

and that fan...

better with the cover off

a fan poking in the middle of the cover is weird

Ill take a over sized heatsink any day as id prefer it as then you need less powerful fans, which EVGA seems to have forgotten...

I only put that on to see it it would clear and if the grill was off it would. Like I said you could actually fit two fan on there as long as you willing to do a bit of dremeling (see the screw point to the right and left of the fan). That would however void the warranty but would allow you to get two fans on and allow you to mount the shroud making it look a bit better.

Whats so hilarious? >.>

It looks so funny with the shroud on! On top of that I'd never expect to see someone mod a noctua fan onto a video card like that hahahhaa. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I actually like it. How silent is that fan? I might think of getting some 120mm Noctuas for my own system.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Ill take a over sized heatsink any day as id prefer it as then you need less powerful fans, which EVGA seems to have forgotten...

I only put that on to see it it would clear and if the grill was off it would. Like I said you could actually fit two fan on there as long as you willing to do a bit of dremeling (see the screw point to the right and left of the fan). That would however void the warranty but would allow you to get two fans on and allow you to mount the shroud making it look a bit better.

i think you will be cover under warranty as long you put everything back together

but yea dual fans will look much better IMO but still overkill for a Maxwell card

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It looks so funny with the shroud on! On top of that I'd never expect to see someone mod a noctua fan onto a video card like that hahahhaa.

I agree in the case of the looks but as I said I didnt leave the shroud there just though id check clearance for those possibly willing to go farther than I.

I actually like it. How silent is that fan? I might think of getting some 120mm Noctuas for my own system.

The fan is quiet for a slim 92mm fan. It also puts out quite a bit more air that I thought its slim form factor would allow. Which 120mm are you looking at? and for what purpose?

Why not 2 fans lol?

I would have had to void the warranty in order to do that. I also only had one fan on hand and the single fan is doing a perfectly fine job as it is.

i think you will be cover under warranty as long you put everything back together

but yea dual fans will look much better IMO but still overkill for a Maxwell card

Well I would have actually had to grid a few thing down to make it fit which I can guarantee voids the warranty.

yes that kinda why I want to see a single slot one.

I would have had to void the warranty in order to do that. I also only had one fan on hand and the single fan is doing a perfectly fine job as it is.

Well I would have actually had to grid a few thing down to make it fit which I can guarantee voids the warranty.

What? This does not void warranty? Mind is blown.

Interested in Business and Technology

-Snip-

Honestly another solution is using Fan Voltage reducers with Stock Fans giving those fans only 3 or 5 volts starves them pretty quickly :P 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

The fan is quiet for a slim 92mm fan. It also puts out quite a bit more air that I thought its slim form factor would allow. Which 120mm are you looking at? and for what purpose?

I'm thinking of getting two to put in front of the drive bays of my H230. The NZXT ones are a bit loud.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Another cool thing you might like to know is that I actually had a adapter from noctua that allowed me to plug the fan directly into the GPU without making anything myself. Also many of you may not have seen these before since they are kinda old school but those black screws were very common in the past and actually screw into the fins on the heatsink. I probably scavenged them off motherboard or other device I scrapped.

MMMMMMMMM all that sexiness :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

What? This does not void warranty? Mind is blown.

not for EVGA. I can easily put it back together the way it was hipped to me without much trouble. All I did was take off the shroud and swap the fans out. Not too much different from swapping on a water block (something I considered).

Honestly another solution is using Fan Voltage reducers with Stock Fans giving those fans only 3 or 5 volts starves them pretty quickly :P

Wouldnt have worked as they likely wouldnt have even spun up. That card controls the speed via voltage already and it was already down to 42% which is roughly 5.04v. There are very few fans that can run below that. I have seen 40% before on EVGA cards with voltage control so im prety sure these were already down as far as they would go with voltage. Also I imagine with all the complaints EVGA got they would have lowered it more if they could.

I'm thinking of getting two to put in front of the drive bays of my H230. The NZXT ones are a bit loud.

Send me a pm and ill see what I can do to help you on that.

MMMMMMMMM all that sexiness :D

Does just having a noctus fan on it make it sexy to you? :P

Does just having a noctus fan on it make it sexy to you? :P

You damn right :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

Oh, you!

LMAO, yeah that's what i meant. I knew I was not saying it right lol.

LMAO, yeah that's what i meant. I knew I was not saying it right lol.

Lol

This is a nice mod, two 92mm would make it look nicer though ;)

I know but restrictions and it was the last annoying thing after removing the AF140's that undervolt horribly and make clicking noises so I kinda just wanted it done.

Looks weird. Haha. Should've remove the shroud. Or the fan and just cool it passively to silence it totally. Hahahaha :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB