nvidia Shield Tablet a Flop ?

I/O

As a tablet I think it is has nice specs and good value but tell me why a PC gamer would want to game on an 8" screen and essentially turn the PC into a console level experience. Seems gimped IMHO.

As a tablet I think it is has nice specs and good value but tell me why a PC gamer would want to game on an 8" screen and essentially turn the PC into a console level experience. Seems gimped IMHO.

You mean like they did with the original Shield? People (especially Linus) seemed to like that a lot..

Uh... They're in a different room than what their PC is in?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

"It's not something I'd personally buy so obviously it's going to flop."

I am personally waiting for a set top box device (Like Roku) that has a Ethernet port and will allow me to stream my PC games to a TV on the other side of the house... that is all. Not sold on a shield tablet just yet, but it's a step in the right direction.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

I'm not very fond of the shield tablet to be honest. I do still love the original shield though.

I am personally waiting for a set top box device (Like Roku) that has a Ethernet port and will allow me to stream my PC games to a TV on the other side of the house... that is all. Not sold on a shield tablet just yet, but it's a step in the right direction.

Steam OS already does that ;)

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I was hoping it would have a similar form factor to the original shield so its a bit of a let down personally. My goal now is to modify the ADT-1 to work with SHIELD streaming.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

I was hoping it would have a similar form factor to the original shield so its a bit of a let down personally. My goal now is to modify the ADT-1 to work with SHIELD streaming.

The original shield was some hand held piece of crap. This is a tablet.

Steam OS already does that ;)

Yeah, that's what I mean. I want a little set top box with Steam OS on it. 

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Yeah, that's what I mean. I want a little set top box with Steam OS on it. 

The wonderful thing is you can build a steam box for cheap. Just get a nice little micro box and enjoy .

The original shield was some hand held piece of crap. This is a tablet.

Piece of crap? @LinusTech uses his a lot. I would prefer a handheld device with controls. I already have a tablet.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

The fact that its also a tablet,makes it worth the buy in my opinion.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

The fact that its also a tablet,makes it worth the buy in my opinion.

Yup exactly. #1 it's a fully functional tablet with great spec for a decent price and secondly it is supported by nvidia for use as a secondary gaming device which adds value to the tablet.

Piece of crap? @LinusTech uses his a lot. I would prefer a handheld device with controls. I already have a tablet.

Linus uses 3 ply toilet paper do I give a fuck what he uses LOL of course not.

I feel it was too expensive for what it was - at the same time it couldn't of really costed less.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I should be able to get one in a month or two

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Yup exactly. #1 it's a fully functional tablet with great spec for a decent price and secondly it is supported by nvidia for use as a secondary gaming device which adds value to the tablet.

You lose the controls though, even if you get the controller, are you really going to prop it against something or put it on a stand and stare at an 8in screen from a distance? Its just awkward. The only thing that would help it is if it had HDMI out or something. 

The wonderful thing is you can build a steam box for cheap. Just get a nice little micro box and enjoy .

It would be nice, but I am looking for something to act as a client and be the size of a Roku to fit behind a wall hung TV.

this is the best tablet on the market. its got everything you would want in a tablet, in what way is it a flop?

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

You lose the controls though, even if you get the controller, are you really going to prop it against something or put it on a stand and stare at an 8in screen from a distance? Its just awkward. The only thing that would help it is if it had HDMI out or something. 

Heck no I would not. I agree with you. I would only you this thing as a tablet. I would get bored of gaming on an 8" screen and playing with a gamepad real quick. I will wager that most others will get board of this thing as well.

this is the best tablet on the market. its got everything you would want in a tablet, in what way is it a flop?

As a tablet i agree it's a good tablet. As a gaming device it fails.

Not really

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Heck no I would not. I agree with you. I would only you this thing as a tablet. I would get bored of gaming on an 8" screen and playing with a gamepad real quick. I will wager that most others will get board of this thing as well.

That was the beauty of the original one though. You can easily game anywhere, it is meant to compliment your system not act as a replacement. It lets you have more access so you can game while you poop.

it is a normal tablet price though, so the gaming features are just a bonus. i would buy this and i have an amd card :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016