taking mid tower in check-in luggage

So I am moving back to Norway from USA, and I built a computer here(specs in signature). I do now want to take it back to Norway by plane. My dad says that I should pack it in a hard shell bag and have it as a check-in, but I have heard that they don't treat the luggage very well. What do you think about that, and if I take it by plane, what should I take out? 

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+

Take out your GPU and your hard drive.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Buy a new CPU+Mobo before you leave, maybe even another 770.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

You've HEARD they don't treat luggage very well? Dude have you not seen the videos of loaders just throwing luggage 20 feet from the planes cargo hold to a massive pile on the ground.

I wouldn't recommend it, even with a hard shell suit case.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

take out the graphics card and cpu cooler there the things that will most likely break loose backup your important to non volatile storage (cd,dvd,blueray,flash drive) and secure the hdd 

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

You've HEARD they don't treat luggage very well? Dude have you not seen the videos of loaders just throwing luggage 20 feet from the planes cargo hold to a massive pile on the ground.

Can i have a link for that :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I'd do carry on

Isn't the talon too big for that?

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+

what if I ship it as special luggage?

Take hdds, heatsinks, gpus, anything tooless out. Screw everything down nice an tight, use a lot of paper towel on the inside of your case, and then get some nice foam or packing peanuts and load your case into the suitcase full of it. You can check your gpu as long as its packaged well. But I would take your hard drives on the flight.

Dude just put it in with your family furniture and other stuff and ship it over with that. It's probably not going to survive, and if it does there's a good chance you'll end up with a warped/bent case.

Luggage handlers aren't going to treat it carefully. I'd pay extra for shipping.

Can i have a link for that :)

I'm on my phone, just type 'luggage handlers' in on YouTube, you'll get plenty of results.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Dude just put it in with your family furniture and other stuff and ship it over with that. It's probably not going to survive, and if it does there's a good chance you'll end up with a warped/bent case.

Luggage handlers aren't going to treat it carefully. I'd pay extra for shipping.

I'm on my phone, just type 'luggage handlers' in on YouTube, you'll get plenty of results.

We are not taking any furniture, so we are taking everything as check-ins, and shipping with fedex or usps costs almost the same as the computer.

I've no idea what that means as far as treatment of luggage goes. I've been flying 12 times now, using different Airlines, and every time my suit cases have come back with either huge black scuffs on them, (best case scenario) or have actually torn from mistreatment.

That doesn't mean shit man...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

That doesn't mean shit man...

Exactly, I don't think it'll 'mean shit' to the luggage handlers on minimum wage either.

Take hdds, heatsinks, gpus, anything tooless out. Screw everything down nice an tight, use a lot of paper towel on the inside of your case, and then get some nice foam or packing peanuts and load your case into the suitcase full of it. You can check your gpu as long as its packaged well. But I would take your hard drives on the flight.

should I also take the h100i in the carry on?

no that should be fine to check. The concern with hdds is vibration I wouldn't put them in overhead either, keep them with you

This is a very good suggestion.

I would just carry it with me on the plane, or slap a shit load of fragile stickers but it's still a huge gamble

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!