Why do SandForce SSD controllers have a bad reputation?

Askew

We will see how long I can run my MX100 then, it arrives on Wednesday and from then the clock begins ticking, I'm using it as an OS drive plus a few apps I'd like more responsiveness on so it will probably outlive this PC.

The drive will probably never be over 200GB data.

Its not just gonna outlive your current PC, its gonna outlive you :)

So no need to worry about endurance.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Its not just gonna outlive your current PC, its gonna outlive you :)

So no need to worry about endurance.

Question, does reading from the drive affect its life or is it only writes that degrade the memory?

Question, does reading from the drive affect its life or is it only writes that degrade the memory?

Nope reading does not effect the life at all (a little read on floating gate transistors would explain why is it so) just the writes.

Not that you need to worry about that.

Nope reading does not effect the life at all (a little read on floating gate transistors would explain why is it so) just the writes.

Not that you need to worry about that.

I have planned more reading on flash technology tomorrow, whenever I buy something I don't know much about I like to learn. :)

The only thing I remember about the term 'floating gate transistor' is that it maybe means the flash does not lose its memory when you take the power away, where as in RAM it fades away a few seconds after you turn off the power, I know that it is possible to take RAM that has just been powered down and quickly freeze it with nitrogen before the data fades away so that recovery of data can be performed, that fascinates me.

Same could be said for the EVO, since its not _that_ faster than MX100 (in lots of corners its actually slower).

All SSDs are kinda like that I mean the 840 EVO has 90% of the speed the new 850 Pro which is the new top dog. It is hands down the fastest SATA III SSD. The only drive that really beats it is the Intel 730 and thats only when it comes to the consistency of the performance. The 850 Pro isnt too shabby with that either though. I would have gotten the Intel 730 a while ago but you need to get the 480Gb to get max performance. I run RAID0 for my OS drive and I dont need a terrabyte and nor do I want to pay for storage I dont need and wouldnt really utilize.

only writes degrade the flash.

The way in which the sandforce controllers are implemented is totally up to the manufacturer. The controllers have worked great for the INtel over the years now. Proof is that it has worked great for me. And to people claming that TRIM does not work properly you should please read this http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5513/sandisk-extreme-ii-240gb-ssd-review/index10.html

And to people who have not had first hand experience using the sandforce ssds or are basing what they say on what they've read does not make sense.

There was a reddit session held recently that answers most of the questions that users have had. heres a link to that
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/27yvkm/rbuildapc_i_recently_wrote_an_extensive_article/

I feel like a straight up noob for my SSD choices now...

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

The way in which the sandforce controllers are implemented is totally up to the manufacturer. The controllers have worked great for the INtel over the years now. Proof is that it has worked great for me. And to people claming that TRIM does not work properly you should please read this http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5513/sandisk-extreme-ii-240gb-ssd-review/index10.html

And to people who have not had first hand experience using the sandforce ssds or are basing what they say on what they've read does not make sense.

There was a reddit session held recently that answers most of the questions that users have had. heres a link to that

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/27yvkm/rbuildapc_i_recently_wrote_an_extensive_article/

@hojnikb

Will you respond to this?

The post looks like a copypasta to me due to the font/text format, I'd say it has been posted in a number of places or perphaps prepared to be posted here after this thread was seen on Google. (I will show why this is likely in the spoiler)

931e01c01307bedb5ae84fad11c3bcc0.png0d94184771ac097f2323fb759543ab26.png

Because Samsung/Intel SSD

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Actually, pretty much every sandforce manufacturer sticks with the reference design; only variation between different manufactures are usually only with nand.

As far as trim is concerned http://www.anandtech.com/show/6107/corsair-force-series-gs-240gb-review

It STILL doesnt work properly. Write speeds drop, once drive is filled with data and numerous people can confirm this (i experience that behaviour on all of my sandforce drives.

And you really can't believe everything their PR department is saying :)

@hojnikb

Will you respond to this?

The post looks like a copypasta to me due to the font/text format, I'd say it has been posted in a number of places or perphaps prepared to be posted here after this thread was seen on Google. (I will show why this is likely in the spoiler)

931e01c01307bedb5ae84fad11c3bcc0.png0d94184771ac097f2323fb759543ab26.png

Yeah, don't believe everything their PR department says :)

Yeah, don't believe everything their PR department says :)

I don't think they like that Google ranking of this thread, all top 3 placements for those keywords that is an issue indeed. <_<

And here is an example, how badly trim is broken in sandforce.

Drive is Adata s510 (async flash, rated for 200MB/s read and 140MB/s write)

sand.png

As you can see, its quite a significant decrease in write speeds (almost 50MB/s).

And people say, trim works properly in sandforce :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I was gonna buy that same ssd, but I bought something else. Informative isn't it.

But I will post my purchase arrives, but it probably only interests a few.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

@hojnikb time for installing oh yes :D

a71af9ff97044d5fef9f9abea1547d3a.png

Enjoy the #ssdmasterrace feel :wub:

With those prices, you would have to be insane or a diehard samsung fan to buy EVO.

Or we'd prefer having a drive which supports full disk encryption at the hardware level. Screw Marvell and Sandforce controllers both. At least with the 850 Pro series you get RAID support finally in addition to full disk encryption.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Or we'd prefer having a drive which supports full disk encryption at the hardware level. Screw Marvell and Sandforce controllers both. At least with the 850 Pro series you get RAID support finally in addition to full disk encryption.

Crucial support full disk encryption since m500 and supports Microsofts eDrive aswell. So don't know what are u talking about.

And RAID is supported on EVERY SINGLE storage device, regardless of tehnology or maker.

Crucial support full disk encryption since m500 and supports Microsofts eDrive aswell. So don't know what are u talking about.

And RAID is supported on EVERY SINGLE storage device, regardless of tehnology or maker.

Just because you can RAID 2 SSDs doesn't mean they can actually support TRIM while doing so, or full disk encryption while doing so. Please do some more thorough research. Every SSD maker is either missing full-disk encryption OR is missing PROPER RAID support. OCZ is the only one known to support both but who the Hell would risk OCZ at this point?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just because you can RAID 2 SSDs doesn't mean they can actually support TRIM while doing so, or full disk encryption while doing so. Please do some more thorough research. Every SSD maker is either missing full-disk encryption OR is missing PROPER RAID support. OCZ is the only one known to support both but who the Hell would risk OCZ at this point?

Crucial supports both RAID and TRIM in this configurations (trim support in raid is really a thing of your chipset not the drive itself) so i really don't know what you're talking about..

I think you're the one, that needs a bit of a thorough research ^_^

Crucial supports both RAID and TRIM in this configurations (trim support in raid is really a thing of your chipset not the drive itself) so i really don't what you're talking about..

http://ssds.findthebest.com/compare/216-397/ADATA-Premier-Pro-SP900-128GB-ASP900S3-128GM-C-vs-Samsung-840-EVO-120GB-MZ-7TE120BW

Please do your damn research. TRIM in RAID is not supported by most SSDs and it's the only reason Samsung 840 Pro isn't a perfect buy. And no Crucial MX 100 doesn't support it either according to this website and anandtech.

http://ssds.findthebest.com/compare/216-397/ADATA-Premier-Pro-SP900-128GB-ASP900S3-128GM-C-vs-Samsung-840-EVO-120GB-MZ-7TE120BW

Please do your damn research. TRIM in RAID is not supported by most SSDs and it's the only reason Samsung 840 Pro isn't a perfect buy. And no Crucial MX 100 doesn't support it either according to this website and anandtech.

Its supported, but you need a compatabile chipset and latest storage drivers.

I believe Z/H7x series chipsets support it.