Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jhen

Linus called adblock users scummy

yeah.....I dont click on ads ever, If I see an ad I like I will manually find it through google.....I just dont trust anything flashing on the side of a website. (sorry if that cuts you out Linus, but I just don't trust the internet)

That's fair enough, sometimes you can inspect the link for the address it takes you to.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

That's fair enough, sometimes you can inspect the link for the address it takes you to.

And that won't show you if it goes through a redirection service

And that won't show you if it goes through a redirection service

correct, which is why I said sometimes.  I have inspected the links on the occasional ad and found they go back to a legit site. Of course I have also found out where they go from accidental clicks :unsure: :blink:  I didn't know people could be turned on by that sort of stuff. :o

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

correct, which is why I said sometimes.  I have inspected the links on the occasional ad and found they go back to a legit site. Of course I have also found out where they go from accidental clicks :unsure: :blink:  I didn't know people could be turned on by that sort of stuff. :o

Oh so by inspect you actually mean resolve the URL rather than just hover over/right click

Oh so by inspect you actually mean resolve the URL rather than just hover over/right click

no, hover over, if it doesn't show then right click select  "copy link location" and paste it in note to inspect,  some ad servers have the target URL in the link plain as day, others just have a string of data and the adservice url.

TotalBiscuit makes a living, largely off of youtube ads. Plenty of people are using the ads alone.

This line of argument makes no sense. It's inherently free in that it requires no money from the viewer, but that doesn't make it not a business. Take radio or freely broadcasted TV for example. Those are free and a business.

Your argument relies on paid content being a universally superior delivery model for all youtube content that is currently paid.

This would mean you would no longer have reviews of anything, since people use reviews to determing how to spend their money, and people don't spend their money to determine how to spend their money.

It's not like these people are going to produce reviews for free at the current rate and quality you see. Before it was possible to make money, you had hobbyists doing one or two videos a month at most; that doesn't cut it for reviews.

channels like LMG would just die out as a paid content model.

I know there are lots of Youtubers using ads alone. Like I said, I don't think they should (more on that later).

I believe someone else on this thread already said this: TV and radio have it figured out because there's no way (I think) of knowing if people actually watched the ad or not so these companies always get payed (depending on the share during that time period I suppose). YouTube (and the rest of the internet) is risky because you know exactly how many saw and/or clicked it. Which doesn't legitimize, in my opinion, ads as a source of revenue (ads at all).

Forgive me (and point it out) if any of that information is wrong.

Besides, most media outlets rely on other sources of income: paid journals and magazines, contests (the "call this number for 60 cents and enter to win this prize" (which makes a lot more money than I initially thought)), tax payer money (for publicly owned broadcasters), paid events, etc. And most are organized in groups where income from several events/mediums/products will finance (most of) the business.

There is even a holding that belongs to the Portuguese Catholic Church responsible for 4 or 5 radio stations (2 of them among the most listened to (they mostly have pop music throughout the day!)). I wouldn't be surprised if some of the offerings to St. Jude (the patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes) ended up paying for Miley Cyrus's Wrecking Ball...

And if the way of the future is to make a living off of ads then why not consider my earlier contribution of placing ads all over classrooms,  hospitals, clinics, even surgery rooms? They sure get a lot of visitors. Suddenly there's no salary, only ad revenue.

"This lung transplant is brought to you by: XPTO tobacco. It's the best!", said the free defibrillator before charging. (Ohhhhh, I'd love to see this in a Futurama episode... I mean, they have already incorporated ads into Nixon's speeches...)

And maybe I could live on that mansion after all... Granted, the walls are covered in ads but, whatever. It gives an artsy feel.

Heck, why don't we all quit our jobs and become youtubers? Apparently there is an abundant interest in videos of cats, fake yelling sheep (or funny animal situations of any kind), game playing, among many other exciting things. Why wouldn't we all be able to go to our grandparent's, make a 6 second montage of a chicken scaring a rottweiler and get insta-famous? Lots of ad cash await...

The risk is exactly that people producing quality content are competing with "funny". And funny wins most of the time. At least on radio and TV they pay you X (fixed + depending on share/rating) for a Y minute spot.

We don't know, nor will we find out, whether or not people would be willing to pay for product reviews, will we now, since they are already freely available.

However, people do pay to learn. And they also pay to have things done for them, like 25$ to assemble the computer parts they just bought.

If you publish a video and say "Click here to watch for free, with ads or over there to pay <more or less amount of money I would have gotten from said ads> and watch ad free", maybe I'd rather pay. The same with Google services: "pay 5$ a month for these services (+ x$ for additional obscure ones) and never watch a Google ad again".

Perhaps it's just me with my "ads are evil" theory.

And yes, many content creators wouldn't make it. And that's related to the perceived value of their content. If ads ceased to exist and Google did in fact put a price on their services I bet most people would pay since they have settled in that ecosystem. Would most people pay to watch someone play games all day? Probably not. Would they pay to watch Linus teach them how to assemble a computer and to be able to chose better the next time they shop for parts? I would think so. Many people are monthly contributors here on the forum already, paying up to 25$ (?) a month to support LMG in exchange for no banners and a sub-forum. Lynda.com teaches you, for a price, how to do lots of things that you could learn elsewhere for free and they aren't out of business.

But ads exist, and they keep most of the content out there free. And that's why I am faced with the following choices:

1) Stop using any website/service that benefits from ads (yes, that basically includes all of Google and any webpage that has ads);

2) Stop using AdBlock everywhere, enjoy all the free services, be subjected to the will of advertisers and not complain when a video of a cat earns it's owner more than a teacher/surgeon/whatever earns in a year;

3) Keep using AdBlock and enjoying all the free services as a way of protesting the ad-centric business model, acknowledging, though, the hypocrisy in those actions (I don't really care for this one);

4) Pay for the services I want to use without ads. Oh wait... I don't have an option...

4) Not living on this planet anymore!

Besides, so far this whole argument has been about how LMG makes most of its money from ads and sponsors and such. And even in a world without ads companies still need images, videos, reviews and that sort of stuff for their products, even if it's to show on their stores or web pages.

Furthermore, when visiting LMG's "what we do" page, one can see that they are addressing companies that want to "deliver a message" about their products.

We work closely with you to create and deliver the messaging that you want. Whether it's for an instructional video, a product demonstration, or brand awareness, you'll always be a part of the creative process.

We have seen some of those products, mainly for their client Func.

My question at this point is: if ad revenue is so important that it's worth using the word scummy to classify AdBlock users (I wasn't even offended, the "ummy" at the end made it sound not so bad!) what happened to LMG's main business?

Perhaps they could support The WAN Show and Techquickie and other videos without all the ads if their core business was more mature...?

P.S.: Apologies for any lack of sense. It's rather late...! Feel free to call me out on any such thing.

P.P.S.: Some people are trying to get this thread closed ("/thread"). Why? Why wouldn't you want healthy discussion to proceed? I am interested in the topic and I'm not talking to myself (much, yet!)... I just don't get it...

I don't use adblock Linus. If watchers and users are true fans, then they will watch a 5 second ad or deal with a few ads on the side of a webpage because they KNOW it's benefiting you and that it's a key for LMG's longevity.

Users that use adblock (for LTT videos/ forum) are selfish. Plain and simple. They watch the videos and use the fourm, yet they can't even bare something so simple as a few ads that are helping you create the content. Sad.

Case: Corsair Air 540; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 5; CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHzCooler: NZXT Kraken X61; RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz; Graphics Card: GTX 1080TI FE; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB;Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (MX Blue); Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones: Sennheiser HD600; HiFiMan HE400i / Sundara ; Amp: Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Dell U2515H 

I personally find the forum ads amusing, mainly because they don't impose like YouTube videos, so I can enjoy their amusing aspects. I mean, my Google search history is terrible, how could I not enjoy Google's dirty mind

-Turkey with a vengeance 

Yuh thats my main gripe with the ad's on the forums, there not targeted well enough. Its tech orientated forum the ad's should be tech based they'd probably garner more clicks

I actually think it's hilarious when I get completely random ads. Even on youtube (you would think that mighty google knows what to market towards their users, right?) I get ads for shampoo, fake plastic nails, sportscars, sports games and even french ads for whatever reason. There usually is an ad catalog that they're choosing from depending on your browsing habits, if they market you the wrong stuff then it's their own fault.

I see this thread is still going. Read the first few pages.

The word scummy was ill-chosen.

But the simple fact ramains that if everyone blocked the ads in my content Linus Tech Tips wouldn't exist. Period.

Those suggesting that I complain to Google... Do you think I can just call up Eric Schmidt and let him know I don't like the way they implement ads on YouTube? I laughed out loud.

YouTube isn't perfect but it's my best shot at running a viable business here so I can pay my employees and feed my family, so that's what I use. Those of you who opt to consume the content without supporting it, fine you're not "scummy". Come up with your own word for it ;)

I've always had an exception set for YouTube and some other sites. But with all the malicious Ad's out there as well as instant video Ad's, browsing the net without Ad block is a much less enjoyable experience. Once YouTube has tipping I will probably remove the exception for that and just tip for videos. 

Also I don't think you're considering people who have no idea what they're doing on the net. I often get customers in work who have a machine loaded with virus's and Malware. A large percentage of which was gotten for clicking stupid Ad's and fake download buttons that would have otherwise been removed by Adblock. Not to mention the amount of Malware you can get from just having the Ad on screen through temp files and malicious cookies.  And every time a machine gets locked out due to this, these customers have to pay me anywhere from £25-£40's for cleaning the bugger up. And at the rate these people get this shit that's just not sustainable. Now when I send them off with Adblock they return much less frequently and are often happier customers since they don't need to fork out £25-40 every other month. 

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H115i, Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB @ 3000Mhz, AMD FuryX Crossfire, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SDD , Sea Sonic 850w PSU, Corsair Vengeance C70 Black 

Is this one of those things that went viral just because someone (Linus) said 'Those scummy adblock users' ?

Is this one of those things that went viral just because someone (Linus) said 'Those scummy adblock users' ?

Still can't find it in the WANshow archive video. Which minute is it at?

Still can't find it in the WANshow archive video. Which minute is it at?

Oh I don't know, I just assumed he said something like that and people got offended by it.

F their services. Joe blow in his moms basement could provide the same content as Linus with an iPhone. Just cause he wants YouTube videos to pay for his house wife kid and life I have get spammed for at least 5 seconds every time I click something on YouTube.

Damn that's pretty insulting. Reported.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

xD I am not insulted because I turn adblock off for those who deserve the revenue, i'm 99% sure he isn't talking about adblock users that watch content creators ads. I allow ads on LTT, youtube, and a few other sites I use a lot.

Main rig

CPU: I7 4820K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H100 || Display: LG 34UM95 || MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79 || RAM: AMD 1600MHz 2x 4GB || GPU: Two AMD R9 290's @1050MHz core 1400MHz Memory || Case: Cooler master HAF 922 || SSD: Samsung 830 128GB and PNY XLR8 120GB SSD in raid 0 || HDD: 2x Seagate barracuda 1.5TB
Guest rig
CPU: I5 3330S || MOBO: ECS H61H2-I5 || Ram: 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 6970 || PSU: Antec Earth-watts 750watt
HTPC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE unlocked 4th core @3.7GHz || GPU: low profile Geforce 9500GT || random 2x 2GB ddr2 ram (don't feel like looking) || Cooler: some rosewill cooler

The technical term in the industry is called a dick move. 

"Amen, Hallelujah and peanut butter." - Dutch.

The technical term in the industry is called a dick move. 

No it isn't. Unless you mean that for Linus? Which I could kinda agree.

I'm very dissapointed by this "news". Didn't expect that from you Linus, let alone few other random guys here. I wouldn't mind if he said something like, "if you whitelist us it will help us alot" or whatever, and not call people names. That is stupid.

He gets views, likes and probaly comments from adblock users, and they will show the video to friends, etc.

While we whitelisted adblock users, will also give something extra in return (well Google will pay him).

AGAIN, he fucking wins both time, what the fuck he has to complain about that? (Even after he apologized)

If he doesn't like them, why doesn't he block them from viewing any content from him? Youtube creators are becoming TV media, and I didn't fucking watch TV in like forever (except World Cup (football). Yeah, keep up with attitude and you won't see me again (or actually I won't see you). And let me remind you that I start to watch you way back when you like started working at NCIX, and loved your content, even more now, but if you keep up with this attitude towards some viewers... I will be gone in heartbeat.

Maybe you (Linus) need to scream more and call things names, like Stephano, and you will get more kids that have no brain in viewer base. You will be able to hire even more people and be like kingpin.

And I don't think it is that big of deal with AdBlock, If it would be, he would drop all this "Youtube work" or whatever you call this, a long time ago. And most of time AdBlock is fucking life saver, if you disagree with that then you probaly have no idea about security or have any knowledge about PC.

"Admitting to being involved in the distribution of copyrighted software/media, cracks and product keys."

I'm pirate. U ban me Linus?

No it isn't. Unless you mean that for Linus? Which I could kinda agree.

I'm very dissapointed by this "news". Didn't expect that from you Linus, let alone few other random guys here. I wouldn't mind if he said something like, "if you whitelist us it will help us alot" or whatever, and not call people names. That is stupid.

He gets views, likes and probaly comments from adblock users, and they will show the video to friends, etc.

While we whitelisted adblock users, will also give something extra in return (well Google will pay him).

AGAIN, he fucking wins both time, what the fuck he has to complain about that? (Even after he apologized)

If he doesn't like them, why doesn't he block them from viewing any content from him? Youtube creators are becoming TV media, and I didn't fucking watch TV in like forever (except World Cup (football). Yeah, keep up with attitude and you won't see me again (or actually I won't see you). And let me remind you that I start to watch you way back when you like started working at NCIX, and loved your content, even more now, but if you keep up with this attitude towards some viewers... I will be gone in heartbeat.

Maybe you (Linus) need to scream more and call things names, like Stephano, and you will get more kids that have no brain in viewer base. You will be able to hire even more people and be like kingpin.

And I don't think it is that big of deal with AdBlock, If it would be, he would drop all this "Youtube work" or whatever you call this, a long time ago. And most of time AdBlock is fucking life saver, if you disagree with that then you probaly have no idea about security or have any knowledge about PC.

That was a joke, obviously that isn't a technical term. 

"Amen, Hallelujah and peanut butter." - Dutch.

Even though he is forgiven. He is now using Vessel, so this statement is now invalid 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Well, I don't give a damn what Linus thinks about Adblock users. I use ad blocker and ad blocker+.

Edit: didn't look at the dates of the posts. : /

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 120GB 840 EVO, Crucial MX500 500GB, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB, 2TB WD External/4TB WD external, Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Either Windows 10 or Server 12

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

TLDR'd the whole thread except for OPs post.

I honestly think that noone should care. It is kinda mean towards the creator to use adblock, but honestly, if youtube will add 10 advertisements to a 30 minute video, they can go suck a cucumber. One ad, only in the beginning unless the video is +2hour (and then have ONE add every 2 hour). If this was the case, I might have turned off Adblock, but it isn't. Way too many advertisements. 

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I already posted this question on another forum post, but I have yet to get a reply.

This is the actually the opposite of the ad block topic, but does it help youtube content providers (particularly Linus) if I allowed the pre-vid ads to finish instead of skipping them? Or is the unskippable 5-second intro enough for the content provider to earn his keep?

I use adblock when I find time to watch videos, but then at work, I just let linus' playlist on youtube play in the background. Does it help them out or should I just stop this "playing in the background" nonsense and just allow their ads when i watch?