Will A GTX 670 And AMD w7000 Work Together?

Hey forum,

I have a query about graphics cards and cross compatibility. I have a gtx 670 laying around in my current build, and my next one is going to be a rendering machine with a haswell 4930k and an AMD w7000 workstation card. Since the gtx 670 (4gb FTW edition) will destroy the w7000 in gaming, is there any way that I could throw both of those cards in my system and have them work properly? I will probably be using two dell 2713hm 2560x1440 monitors. I would like both monitors to be able to be used by the w7000, but only one has to be hooked up to the 670. Does anyone have any suggestions before I go off and buy all these new components?

52180_FirePro_Tighten_W7000_C481_Angled.

Thanks a bunch

-Simsyy

Current Main: Corsair 550D, Corsair h100, Gigabye 990fx UD3, Geforce GTX 670 4gb FTW Edition, 16gb Corsair vengeance 1600mhz, Diablotek 775 Watt Active PSU, 2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb 7200rpm, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD, ASUS 16x optical drive, AverMedia AverTV capture card, 2x Noctua NF-F12, 3 Corsair AF quiet series.

Correct me if im wrong but I dont believe that you can run those together at the same time. 

Sorta off topic here but doesn't the 4930k release in September?

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Correct me if im wrong but I dont believe that you can run those together at the same time. 

That's why I am asking you guys.

Current Main: Corsair 550D, Corsair h100, Gigabye 990fx UD3, Geforce GTX 670 4gb FTW Edition, 16gb Corsair vengeance 1600mhz, Diablotek 775 Watt Active PSU, 2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb 7200rpm, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD, ASUS 16x optical drive, AverMedia AverTV capture card, 2x Noctua NF-F12, 3 Corsair AF quiet series.

Sorta off topic here but doesn't the 4930k release in September?

Yea, that's when I plan to finally put the build together for college, so the timing should work out perfectly.

Yea, that's when I plan to finally put the build together for college, so the timing should work out perfectly.

I see, I see and its not going to be Haswell it's gonna be Ivy-Bridge-E

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I think the cards can be in the system at the same time and I do not think that they will interfere with each other. The reason I say they can possibly run together is due to a video of Linus I watched a while back, where he used a 580 and a 6990 in a system together, for the purpose of running the 6990 at 8x for benchmarking but the concept is there, I guess!

Hope that helped!

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

You could probably run them together. However, they will not work together on a particular task. They will remain as separate entities, no matter what.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I think the cards can be in the system at the same time and I do not think that they will interfere with each other. The reason I say they can possibly run together is due to a video of Linus I watched a while back, where he used a 580 and a 6990 in a system together, for the purpose of running the 6990 at 8x for benchmarking but the concept is there, I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSfifE2Domo

Hope that helped!

- winny3141 :D

That's promising! Ill probably end up trying it anyway, and if it doesn't work, ill either save the 670 for an entirely separate gaming rig, or ill just sell it off.

You could probably run them together. However, they will not work together on a particular task. They will remain as separate entities, no matter what.

Yea I wouldn't expect them to work together.

They could run in the same system but they will drive separate screens. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They could run in the same system but they will drive separate screens. 

Could I use separate inputs like one displayport and one dvi, and just switch the source on the monitor?

those will work in the same time but not together. you could use the firepro connected to displayport and dvi to each monitor and the gaming card with displayport to the monitor that is connected with dvi. automatic switch is possible but you'll have to disable firepro video adapter in device manager when gaming. however, if you are confortable pressing the switch input button from one of the monitor, both cards will work in the same time. still, there is no way possible having free mouse on the firepro card when gaming... still, you can let the firepro work (render or transcode or whatever0) in one monitor, and gaming on the other, you'll just have to alt-tab when you need the mouse. gaming in a resizable window will make things easyer, but the game will freeze until you put the mouse back. I guess windows 8 blue can fix that....

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Sounds like it's more hassle than it's really worth.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I know, but if he really wants to do it, it is possible.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Could I use separate inputs like one displayport and one dvi, and just switch the source on the monitor?

Yes you can. I just did it.

This things I do for you people... 

:)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So do you think it's less hassle to build an entirely new second computer around the FirePro card? People don't have FirePro or Matrox cards for random reasons, they have them because their work demands it. Naturally some of those people will also want to game, and naturally, some of the people who would like to game do not want two computers. Honestly your entire comment is really insulting IMO.

To OP: Yes you can connect the same screen to both cards with different inputs and switch the signal, no problem.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

those will work in the same time but not together. you could use the firepro connected to displayport and dvi to each monitor and the gaming card with displayport to the monitor that is connected with dvi. automatic switch is possible but you'll have to disable firepro video adapter in device manager when gaming. however, if you are confortable pressing the switch input button from one of the monitor, both cards will work in the same time. still, there is no way possible having free mouse on the firepro card when gaming... still, you can let the firepro work (render or transcode or whatever0) in one monitor, and gaming on the other, you'll just have to alt-tab when you need the mouse. gaming in a resizable window will make things easyer, but the game will freeze until you put the mouse back. I guess windows 8 blue can fix that....

Yea, I was planning on maybe doing a bit of light gaming while something is rendering on the w7000. The (unreleased) 4930k should be able to handle both if I set maya or aftereffects to only use a certain cpu percentage. I'm glad that the motherboard and processor drivers work, albeit separately, but at the same time.

My situation is unique to myself.

Yes you can. I just did it.

This things I do for you people... 

:)

Awesome, thank you. I appreciate you actually putting in the effort to try it in the real world versus hypothetical.

So do you think it's less hassle to build an entirely new second computer around the FirePro card? People don't have FirePro or Matrox cards for random reasons, they have them because their work demands it. Naturally some of those people will also want to game, and naturally, some of the people who would like to game do not want two computers. Honestly your entire comment is really insulting IMO.

To OP: Yes you can connect the same screen to both cards with different inputs and switch the signal, no problem.

Glad that it works with different inputs. HDMI can run 1440p currently can't it?

Yea, I was planning on maybe doing a bit of light gaming while something is rendering on the w7000. The (unreleased) 4930k should be able to handle both if I set maya or aftereffects to only use a certain cpu percentage. I'm glad that the motherboard and processor drivers work, albeit separately, but at the same time.

My situation is unique to myself.

Awesome, thank you. I appreciate you actually putting in the effort to try it in the real world versus hypothetical.

Glad that it works with different inputs. HDMI can run 1440p currently can't it?

You will need a screen that has that revision of the HDMI spec, but yes it can, although only at 30 Hz so that's not really too desirable for gaming.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The only problem I see with mixing different types of cards since you're mixing a NVIDIA and a AMD card together is driver compatibility issues. 

Yeap HDMI 1.4 which is the current standard will be able to run up to 4k resolutions :) It'll only run 1440p at 30Hz though so be wary of that.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

You will need a screen that has that revision of the HDMI spec, but yes it can, although only at 30 Hz so that's not really too desirable for gaming.

I plan on the Dell u2713hm monitors (2 of them), and I believe they do have that spec. Optimal setup then would be one monitor with a DP connection to the w7000, and one monitor with a DP connection to the 670 as well as an HDMI connection to the w7000 (adapter needed). That would allow better refresh rates for the gaming while keeping full functionality.

I've been running a v7900 with twin GTX 590's for compute for a while now and I'll just say it now:

you CANNOT run a FirePro for 3d tasks on one monitor and a geforce(s) for gaming on another simultaneously, even if secondary monitors are connected to the geforce.

You CAN however run Windows on one of the cards and have the other for compute. That is, you can simultaneously game on the geforce while programs utilizing OpenCL do compute tasks on the firepro (individual program compatibility varies).

If Windows is initialized on the firepro, it will do all DX and Opengl rendering throughout the os, even for monitors connected via the geforce (video signal is simply passed through the geforce).

I've tried doing setups where I'd have the Firepro drive one monitor for 3d modelling and the 590s in SLI driving another for games. It just doesn't work.

When I booted up a game on the monitor connected to the 590s, I observed that all of the gpu load was going directly to the firepro while the 590s were doing diddly squat.

When I initialized Windows on the 590s the opposite occurred: they'd do well for gaming, but also ended up doing the OpenGL viewport rendering on the monitor connected to the firepro while its gpu remained mostly idle.

Therefore, it'd probably be best to connect all of your monitors to one card and reserve the other for compute tasks, but don't expect to be able to game and model at once.

OS-wise, it's really easy to setup in Windows 7 (and should be just as easy in Vista or 8 since these os' are based off Windows kernel 6.X with natively supports multi-gpu driver installs).

Just install the drivers for both cards as you would with any build.

The only problem I see with mixing different types of cards since you're mixing a NVIDIA and a AMD card together is driver compatibility issues.

There shouldn't be an issue. You can normally run a PhysX card with something else without issue. I know that his situation is different, but it should work out the same.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790S 3.2/4.0 GHz  GPU: HIS AMD Radeon R9 285 2GB GDDR5  Motherboard: ASUS Pro Gamer H97  RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz  

PSU: NZXT HALE82 700W  Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa  Case: NZXT H230 

Really? I just said it's a lot of hassle and doesn't seem like it's worth it. I don't see how it's insulting, but hey cool, I guess. Yes, that might be true, but they might have to settle for two computers. I'm not here to sympathize with anyone. And I understand what a FirePro card is and what it's purpose is.

There shouldn't be an issue. You can normally run a PhysX card with something else without issue. I know that his situation is different, but it should work out the same.

The older PhysX cards are not supported anymore, and you can't pair an NVIDIA card with an AMD card and use PhysX on the GPU anymore without hacking.

I've been running a v7900 with twin GTX 590's for compute for a while now and I'll just say it now:

you CANNOT run a FirePro for 3d tasks on one monitor and a geforce(s) for gaming on another simultaneously, even if secondary monitors are connected to the geforce.

You CAN however run Windows on one of the cards and have the other for compute. That is, you can simultaneously game on the geforce while programs utilizing OpenCL do compute tasks on the firepro (individual program compatibility varies).

If Windows is initialized on the firepro, it will do all DX and Opengl rendering throughout the os, even for monitors connected via the geforce (video signal is simply passed through the geforce).

I've tried doing setups where I'd have the Firepro drive one monitor for 3d modelling and the 590s in SLI driving another for games. It just doesn't work.

When I booted up a game on the monitor connected to the 590s, I observed that all of the gpu load was going directly to the firepro while the 590s were doing diddly squat.

When I initialized Windows on the 590s the opposite occurred: they'd do well for gaming, but also ended up doing the OpenGL viewport rendering on the monitor connected to the firepro while its gpu remained mostly idle.

Therefore, it'd probably be best to connect all of your monitors to one card and reserve the other for compute tasks, but don't expect to be able to game and model at once.

OS-wise, it's really easy to setup in Windows 7 (and should be just as easy in Vista or 8 since these os' are based off Windows kernel 6.X with natively supports multi-gpu driver installs).

Just install the drivers for both cards as you would with any build.

Best answer to date. You win the internet for now sir. Ill probably just sell the 670 and put the money towards the w7000. Any of the games that I will be playing will be able to be handled by it. If not, ill figure something out.