Old MPC ClientPro 375: Can it do some kind of RAID?

cnelson3225

I am a student technologist here at my high school and we have an overwhelming amount of these machines. What we are going to do is save a certain number of them and use the rest as parts for the ones to be saved, and the question of the day is are they able to do a RAID 0 from the motherboard? If they cannot, can they be set up to do a software RAID with the system being on the RAID itself? The goal here is to squeeze as much speed out of these dinosaurs as we can. Thanks LTT community!

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

Hmm... looks like that system has an old 945G express chipset, which did have support for RAID functionality. Depends on what the manufacturer did though. Boot one into the BIOS, you would need to find somewhere where you can chance the controller from IDE or AHCI to RAID. If you find that, should be able to create a RAID0 set.

Best bet - use Windows 7 - should support that ICH7r controller. if you install with XP, you will need the controller drivers on a floppy.

Also, software doing RAID0 doesn't mix. :) Even if you can, you take such a hit in performance from the OS doing all the raid calculations, would negate the pro of RAID0....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I did not see in the BIOS what you said... What I did see however under drive configuration are the following options:

Use automatic mode:

ATA/IDE mode:

SMART

Hard disk pre-delay .

Thats about all I see... If you can gather anything from that that would be awesome, however if not I guess I am SOL. Thanks!

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602