Bad, terrible or simply funny code examples

Cause the way you code it is horrendous. Has almost no logical order or sense to it.

Each language has it's use and advantages over others.

If you don't use the language correctly then ofcourse you're doing it wrong and the results won't be as neat.

You probably were using it wrong and that's why it didn't work. The same way if you were to use vb.net for game development, it just won't work out that well you probably did the same thing with java and used it in a complete wrong way you shouldn't have.

It's not the language that's at fault, it's you who is at fault for using it in that certain way.

You cannot say that java sucks but you can say that java should not be used in a certain way and the results won't be the same as expected when doing so.

Each language has it's use and advantages over others.

If you don't use the language correctly then ofcourse you're doing it wrong and the results won't be as neat.

You probably were using it wrong and that's why it didn't work. The same way if you were to use vb.net for game development, it just won't work out that well you probably did the same thing with java and used it in a complete wrong way you shouldn't have.

It's not the language that's at fault, it's you who is at fault for using it in that certain way.

You cannot say that java sucks but you can say that java should not be used in a certain way and the results won't be the same as expected when doing so.

I never used it. I have just heard from a lot of professional coders that they dislike the way they have to code it.

Also the fact that it is difficult just makes it harder to learn for someone who is starting to code. Which is why it is never recommended for beginners.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I never used it. I have just heard from a lot of professional coders that they dislike the way they have to code it.

Also the fact that it is difficult just makes it harder to learn for someone who is starting to code. Which is why it is never recommended for beginners.

There's nothing wrong with it.

It is VERY Object Oriented and heavily depends upon that paradigm... And I guess maybe that puts some people off. Not everyone is into that sort of thing.

It's not all that difficult. Java is what I mostly learnt with. I would have no problems recommending it to a beginner.

And I am a professional "coder".

java was my 2nd language after vb.net (I know, I know it's not the greatest but hey it was my first! I don't use it anymore of course unless if I need simple things done)  I actually believe that java is one of the simplest C based languages out there. If you find Java being a hard language and you can't use its syntax's then you'd struggle with any sort of software development. The UX/UI devs over at where I work can even use the syntax's and understand it's basics. If you were to use any other common language then you should be able to understand the basics of java.

java is actually recommended as a starter language to learn its syntax's since they are used in many other languages.

There's nothing wrong with it.

It is VERY Object Oriented and heavily depends upon that paradigm... And I guess maybe that puts some people off. Not everyone is into that sort of thing.

It's not all that difficult. Java is what I mostly learnt with. I would have no problems recommending it to a beginner.

And I am a professional "coder".

Well I have heard from more than a couple sources that it is by far not the best language for beginners.

My sources include a proper programming teacher, one of his students which is one of the best programmers in the world, and hundreds of pages on the internet that recommend python over java for beginners any day.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well I have heard from more than a couple sources that it is by far not the best language for beginners.

My sources include a proper programming teacher, one of his students which is one of the best programmers in the world, and hundreds of pages on the internet that recommend python over java for beginners any day.

I never said it was the best for beginners. I just said there's nothing wrong with starting out with it.

layout.setVerticalGroup(      layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEADING)      .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addComponent(jLabel3)            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addComponent(jLabel16, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 14, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addGap(11, 11, 11)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabel4)            .addComponent(jLabel5))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEAD​ING)            .addComponent(jField2Up, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEAD​ING)            .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabel6)            .addComponent(jField1Up, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Down, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel7))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Left, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel8))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Right, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel9)            .addComponent(jField2Right, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1A, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel10)            .addComponent(jField2A, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)))            .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addGap(31, 31, 31)            .addComponent(jField2Down, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addComponent(jField2Left, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1B, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel11)            .addComponent(jField2B, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Select, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel12)            .addComponent(jField2Select, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Start, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel13)            .addComponent(jField2Start, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addComponent(jLabel1)            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabelCtrl1)            .addComponent(jButton2))            .addGap(12, 12, 12)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabelCtrl2)            .addComponent(jButton1))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jButtonOK)            .addComponent(jButtonCancel))            .addGap(0, 8, Short.MAX_VALUE))      );

One line in a Java NES emulator.

I myself am a Java developer and can say that this developer is one of the worst I've ever seen. How can someone like this even create a working emulator.

That piece of code can be found at https://github.com/andrew-hoffman/halfnes/blob/master/src/com/grapeshot/halfnes/ui/ControlsDialog.java

layout.setVerticalGroup(      layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEADING)      .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addComponent(jLabel3)            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addComponent(jLabel16, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 14, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addGap(11, 11, 11)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabel4)            .addComponent(jLabel5))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEAD​ING)            .addComponent(jField2Up, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEAD​ING)            .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabel6)            .addComponent(jField1Up, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Down, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel7))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Left, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel8))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Right, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel9)            .addComponent(jField2Right, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1A, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel10)            .addComponent(jField2A, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)))            .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()            .addGap(31, 31, 31)            .addComponent(jField2Down, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addComponent(jField2Left, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1B, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel11)            .addComponent(jField2B, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Select, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel12)            .addComponent(jField2Select, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jField1Start, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)            .addComponent(jLabel13)            .addComponent(jField2Start, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addComponent(jLabel1)            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabelCtrl1)            .addComponent(jButton2))            .addGap(12, 12, 12)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jLabelCtrl2)            .addComponent(jButton1))            .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASE​LINE)            .addComponent(jButtonOK)            .addComponent(jButtonCancel))            .addGap(0, 8, Short.MAX_VALUE))      );

One line in a Java NES emulator.

I myself am a Java developer and can say that this developer is one of the worst I've ever seen. How can someone like this even create a working emulator.

That piece of code can be found at https://github.com/andrew-hoffman/halfnes/blob/master/src/com/grapeshot/halfnes/ui/ControlsDialog.java

Looking through that code tells me that this guy has never heard of an Array...

jLabel3 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel4 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel5 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel6 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel7 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel8 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel9 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel10 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel11 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel12 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel13 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jField1Up = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField1Down = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField1Right = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField1Left = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField1Start = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField1Select = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField1B = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField1A = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2Up = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2Down = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2Left = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2Right = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2A = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2B = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2Select = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jField2Start = new javax.swing.JTextField();        jButtonCancel = new javax.swing.JButton();        jButtonOK = new javax.swing.JButton();        jLabel16 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabel1 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jLabelCtrl1 = new javax.swing.JLabel();        jButton1 = new javax.swing.JButton();        jButton2 = new javax.swing.JButton();        jLabelCtrl2 = new javax.swing.JLabel();