what storage format recommended? Single disk, JBOD, RAID1 or RAID5

Monty007

Hi All,

I have a QNAP TS420.  I love the little unit and provides 4 bays up to a total of 16GB.  It does everything I want and more.  Last night I had a total loss of my data (over 4TB) due to a firmware update and failure.  I have posted on the QNAP forum and created a ticket but lots of others have had the same problem and data loss was inevitable. 

Now that I'm starting all over again (which really, REALLY sucks) I want to get some advice on how to setup the disk structure.  I had previously used 2 x 3TB WD Red drives (awesome drives) as one linear drive in JBOD.  With the failure of the controlling software, data was destroyed.  Even if I had it in RAID1 for redundancy, because of the type of failure I had, I assume that I would have lost the data anyway.

So, should I setup the new structure as JBOD again (redundancy isn't critical for me) or consider single disks, or some other format?  I'm reluctant/fearful of this happening again and want to get access to my data in case of another disaster.  I always keep backups but as you know, it still takes time to build the array again and migrate the data back to the server.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

thanks for the videos.  I have seen them and used them to decide the first time I got my NAS.  I'm hoping to hear some advice from others who use NAS/Servers and have gone through data loss or controller failure and some advice on setting it up.

Looking at the LTT 10TB++ thread there are a lot of people with very large arrays using JBOD.  Dangerous1 has over 89TB using JBOD.  

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Hi All,

I have a QNAP TS420.  I love the little unit and provides 4 bays up to a total of 16GB.  It does everything I want and more.  Last night I had a total loss of my data (over 4TB) due to a firmware update and failure.  I have posted on the QNAP forum and created a ticket but lots of others have had the same problem and data loss was inevitable. 

Now that I'm starting all over again (which really, REALLY sucks) I want to get some advice on how to setup the disk structure.  I had previously used 2 x 3TB WD Red drives (awesome drives) as one linear drive in JBOD.  With the failure of the controlling software, data was destroyed.  Even if I had it in RAID1 for redundancy, because of the type of failure I had, I assume that I would have lost the data anyway.

So, should I setup the new structure as JBOD again (redundancy isn't critical for me) or consider single disks, or some other format?  I'm reluctant/fearful of this happening again and want to get access to my data in case of another disaster.  I always keep backups but as you know, it still takes time to build the array again and migrate the data back to the server.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I'm pretty sure you meant 16TB. That's so sad. D:

Yep. Pretty much. That's a worst case scenario failure. 

Can you install other stuff on the QNAP NAS? Or is it stuck with whatever is on it now? If you can install stuff on it, I recommend doing that and moving to something else that doesn't rely so heavily on the OS. Like, maybe a Linux distro (Ubuntu Server?), or Amahi/FreeNAS?

I don't know much about pre-built NAS' but since the particular failure you had can't be saved by a different drive configuration, I personally use and prefer RAID 10. For you though, I would just do JBOD or use something equivalent to Storage Spaces in Windows.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm pretty sure you meant 16TB. That's so sad. D:

Yep. Pretty much. That's a worst case scenario failure. 

Can you install other stuff on the QNAP NAS? Or is it stuck with whatever is on it now? If you can install stuff on it, I recommend doing that and moving to something else that doesn't rely so heavily on the OS. Like, maybe a Linux distro (Ubuntu Server?), or Amahi/FreeNAS?

I don't know much about pre-built NAS' but since the particular failure you had can't be saved by a different drive configuration, I personally use and prefer RAID 10. For you though, I would just do JBOD or use something equivalent to Storage Spaces in Windows.

Thanks for the advice.  The QNAP worked awesome for what I needed.  Full integration with my iPhone and iPad, iTunes Time Machine (a bit buggy) and all the features of some higher end machines.  I can even upgrade the network card on the back to a fiber card if I wanted.  I don't think I can change the software on it.  Before the firmware update, it worked perfectly!  I was able to install a lot of other third-party programs like transmission, Couch Potato 2, Happy Get, etc.  They all worked without a hitch.  

If I set it up as single disks and had the same type of failure again, would the data be more accessible?  Would I be able to take those disks and stick it in my main rig and access the data stored?  I tried some recovery software and was not able to recover anything.

Thanks for the advice.  The QNAP worked awesome for what I needed.  Full integration with my iPhone and iPad, iTunes Time Machine (a bit buggy) and all the features of some higher end machines.  I can even upgrade the network card on the back to a fiber card if I wanted.  I don't think I can change the software on it.  Before the firmware update, it worked perfectly!  I was able to install a lot of other third-party programs like transmission, Couch Potato 2, Happy Get, etc.  They all worked without a hitch.  

If I set it up as single disks and had the same type of failure again, would the data be more accessible?  Would I be able to take those disks and stick it in my main rig and access the data stored?  I tried some recovery software and was not able to recover anything.

I've only ever used EaseUS Partition Recovery to recover data. It worked. It gives you a free trial for the first use IIRC.

Maybe. It entirely depends on what kind of format the QNAP puts on the HDD. If it's NTFS or FAT32, then any Windows machine should be able to read data off it. If it's ext2, ext3, or ext4, then Ubuntu should be able to read it fine along with any other Linux based OS. 

If it's some weird/unique format, then probably not.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.