Good games for RPG, JRPG, etc?

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Hey guys! So since I'm getting my attention towards game genres like RPG, JRPG, MMORPG,Strategy and MOBA, I'd like some games from those genres. Let it be free. It works even if it's a paid game. Well, From JRPG, I'd buy Final Fantasy, Agerest Generations .....

What about the others?

It should work smoothly in all/any my computers..

If it's on Steam, it's good. But it ain't compulsory :). I have many friends who play these games.. @Vitalius :D

Thanks in Advance :)

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Crytek makes a pretty good FPS "for some reason I can't recall the name but I will be sure to update this when I do"

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

JRPG ~ Monster Hunter

RPG ~ Dark Souls

MMORPG ~ RuneScape

Strategy ~ StarCraft 2

MOBA ~ League of Legends/ SMITE

Just asking, DOTA 2 is a MOBA right? 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Nope

This explains a little

http://mtdremer.hubpages.com/question/217651/what-is-the-difference-between-dota-and-moba

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Hey guys! So since I'm getting my attention towards game genres like RPG, JRPG, MMORPG,Strategy and MOBA, I'd like some games from those genres. Let it be free. It works even if it's a paid game. Well, From JRPG, I'd buy Final Fantasy, Agerest Generations .....

What about the others?

It should work smoothly in all/any my computers..

If it's on Steam, it's good. But it ain't compulsory :)

Thanks in Advance :)

Download pcsx2, it is a playstation 2 emulator, set that up and then download the .iso for Star Ocean till the end of time. It is regarded as one of the BEST jrpg's of all time and even though it is such an old game the gameplay is the most progressive of any jrpg ive played and the graphics are still gorgeous. It also has a story line that will knock your socks off, especially if you are a tech nerd which i assume you are since you are on ltt lol

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Divinity: Original Sin looks good, newly released and receiving a lot of praise at the moment! 

PC SPECS: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5Ghz (CPU) || MSI 970A-G43 (MB) || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (RAM) || MSI AMD 6870 1GB (GPU) || Aerocool 6th Element (CASE) || Sandisk 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB HDD (STORAGE) || XFX 550w Pro Series (PSU) || ASUS MX239H 23" (MONITOR) || Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (COOLER) || Logitech G110 (KEYBOARD)

I did not include DOTA 2 because I have never played it. It is considered MOBA but it is much harder to learn and reach a good skill level with any character.

MOBA stands for Massive Online Battle Arena, it is a genre which includes League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Smite, Dota 2, and all similar game types.

As for JRPGs (BUY A PS3 or any Sony system and play everything Shin Megami Tensei), Monster Hunter is a good pick.

For MOBAs:

Dota 2 is harder to learn, is counter based, and has sluggish controls, but has really fun characters in it. Requires more skill at the high level than LoL, and more skill to start learning it.

League of Legends has easy controls and more intuitive design but has terribly boring characters and Riot has recently been lazy about adding new champions and fixing old items and unbalanced characters, I had played for 2 years, I just quit because I got so bored and annoyed with their design choices. Toxic community too, always competitive and people will tear you apart for doing anything wrong, it's not fun.

Smite is my favorite MOBA because it's more action-focused and battles are more intense. Toxic players are fewer in Smite, usually frowned upon by other members, whereas in LoL everyone is toxic.

Recently I started the beta for Strife. It's pretty fun, though still short on Heroes. There are a bunch of design choices in Strife which limit toxic players, since you can never view how many times allies have died people will be less likely to rage at other players for "feeding". Also the removal of cross-team chat means less toxicity in general. This game has a long way to go, but I hope it gets really good. (you can buy a beta key from Humble Bundle for a couple days, still, get one while you still can)

Git Gud.

-snip- 

Download pcsx2, it is a playstation 2 emulator, set that up and then download the .iso for Star Ocean till the end of time. It is regarded as one of the BEST jrpg's of all time and even though it is such an old game the gameplay is the most progressive of any jrpg ive played and the graphics are still gorgeous. It also has a story line that will knock your socks off, especially if you are a tech nerd which i assume you are since you are on ltt lol

This^

The PS1 & PS2 were the consoles for JRPGs imo. 

• RPG

For RPG's on the PC, I think you need to be more specific. Fallout 3 is an RPG, for example. Usually, an RPG is defined as a game which has a mechanic that allows you to tailor your role as the game progresses. Or it can be in how the story is told. As in, weapon upgrades which you can choose, leveling up, skill points, etc. Things that force you to choose what kind of character you are are going to be. You get the idea. 

Bastion is a good indie RPG but I figure you've already played that.

I tried playing E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy, but I could not get into that game. May just be my personal taste, but I didn't like it. It sounds cool and it's mechanics are VERY RPG. It's like Fallout, but very different (weird to describe it that way, I know, but it is).

I highly recommend the Darksiders games. Like God of War and Legend of Zelda had a baby. They are great.

Then there's the usuals. Skyrim, Two Worlds II, Risen, Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Dead Island, BioShock, etc.

• JRPG

Grotesque Tactics is a JRPG (in mechanics) and is satire making fun of the usual tropes in RPGs in general.

One Way Heroics is a game that you could probably find a free RPG Maker copy of somewhere (named something else of course), but I enjoyed it a bit. It's old school JRPG basically.

Long Live the Queen is more dating sim, but I seriously enjoy that game. You'd be surprised how gruesome it is based on how it appears to be. It's not for everyone though, I'm sure. Watch Youtube Videos to decide.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale was very fun, but it's more strategy JRPG depending on which section you are on. 

The Last Remnant seems like a good game. I played it a long time ago and bought it but never continued it. I was busy at the time. YMMV

To the Moon has a JRPG story and is wonderful imo. It's 4-5 hours long. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good story. 

Chantelise is a simple JRPG. I played it a tiny bit, but I didn't really get into it.  

Ys I & II I haven't even tried yet, but I do know that it looks pretty good for a JRPG on the PC. 

• MMORPG

I don't play MMO's. 

However, I do play one ARPG (Adventure RPG). Path of Exile. It's like Diablo 2, but updated and expanded a lot. I really enjoy it, but prepare to die a lot. I guess it's technically an MMO with 70,000+ players? It's not an MMO in the traditional sense.

• Strategy

Do you mean Strategy RPG here?

• MOBA

I don't play MOBA for the same reasons I don't play CoD.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

MOBA stands for Massive Online Battle Arena, it is a genre which includes League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Smite, Dota 2, and all similar game types.

As for JRPGs (BUY A PS3 or any Sony system and play everything Shin Megami Tensei), Monster Hunter is a good pick.

For MOBAs:

Dota 2 is harder to learn, is counter based, and has sluggish controls, but has really fun characters in it. Requires more skill at the high level than LoL, and more skill to start learning it.

League of Legends has easy controls and more intuitive design but has terribly boring characters and Riot has recently been lazy about adding new champions and fixing old items and unbalanced characters, I had played for 2 years, I just quit because I got so bored and annoyed with their design choices. Toxic community too, always competitive and people will tear you apart for doing anything wrong, it's not fun.

Smite is my favorite MOBA because it's more action-focused and battles are more intense. Toxic players are fewer in Smite, usually frowned upon by other members, whereas in LoL everyone is toxic.

Recently I started the beta for Strife. It's pretty fun, though still short on Heroes. There are a bunch of design choices in Strife which limit toxic players, since you can never view how many times allies have died people will be less likely to rage at other players for "feeding". Also the removal of cross-team chat means less toxicity in general. This game has a long way to go, but I hope it gets really good. (you can buy a beta key from Humble Bundle for a couple days, still, get one while you still can)

I can't buy because my debit card has some issues :(. I think I also missed the giveaway from Curse..

COMING SOON

I can't buy because my debit card has some issues :(. I think I also missed the giveaway from Curse..

Damn, that sucks. You can still apply to the beta pool and wait for a key to come your way, though. It worked for a few of my friends.

Also keep an eye on Heroes of the Storm and Arena of Fate. 2 Mobas, Blizzard and Crytek respectively, should have some unique and fun stuff for 2nd gen Moba

Git Gud.

Damn, that sucks. You can still apply to the beta pool and wait for a key to come your way, though. It worked for a few of my friends.

Also keep an eye on Heroes of the Storm and Arena of Fate. 2 Mobas, Blizzard and Crytek respectively, should have some unique and fun stuff for 2nd gen Moba

The Beta is still going on? :o. Where? Can you link please? 

COMING SOON

Try Suikoden II (PS 1)... Run it in an emulator and try to get all 108 characters to join your army... It has an immersive and touching storyline with well written side stories...

World of Warcraft. Wotlk

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

The Beta is still going on? :o. Where? Can you link please? 

https://strife.com/

You should still be able to sign up for keys. Pretty sure. Open beta is supposed to start fairly soon, I thought. I'll look into it later.

Git Gud.

Regarding console games, here's my lists. Note that they are long. @ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Legend of Dragoon - My undisputed favorite for this console.

Suikoden (all of them)

The Final Fantasies obviously. FFI & II are remade on here as FF: Origins, FFIV is combined with Chrono Trigger as FF: Chronicles, and FFV & VI are together as FF: Anthology.

Final Fantasy Tactics - I mention this separately because it's battle system is different from all other FFs. It's a turn based board-style battle system. It's my 2nd favorite FF, my favorite being FFI.

Digimon World - For all the Digimon fans out there, this game was everything you'd want. 

King's Field I & II - A predecessor to Demon's Souls which was a predecessor to Dark Souls. 
Alundra 1 & 2

Arc the Lad Collection
Breath of Fire III &  IV
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Dragon Warrior VII
Grandia
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Legend of Mana
Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen
Parasite Eve 1 & 2
Persona I & II: Eternal Punishment
Saiyuki: Journey West
Star Ocean: Second Story
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts

Kingdom Hearts - My undisputed favorite, ever. Don't bother with the sequels unless you absolutely love it, get a controller.

Final Fantasy, again, of course. X is awesome imo, though many may disagree. It is my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy. X-2 was ok to me, but most hate it in comparison to X. XII was ok. I barely almost beat XII. Couldn't bring myself to beat the final boss.
The entire .Hack series - Easily one of my favorites.

Dark Cloud series - Also one of my favorites

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - I spent literally 1,000 hours playing this game. Admittedly, part of that is my falling asleep and leaving it on, but that accounts for at most 50% of it. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories wasn't as good but was still great imo.
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
The two Full Metal Alchemist games for PS2. If you liked the show these are great. If you didn't, they are still fun. 

Growlanser Generations - This JRPG is one of the few that I truly enjoyed for it's story alone. The battle system was fun, but I broke it quickly and absolutely destroyed the enemies before I was even half way through the game. This is actually Growlanser II & Growlanser III together. 

La Pucelle Tactics - This is a predecessor to Disgaea. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Disgaea. Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome is another predecessor to Disgaea, but I've never played it.

Monster Hunter - This one is obvious.

Suikoden (All of them again)

Xenosaga (Both of them)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Ar Tonelic: Melody of Elemia
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana & Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
Shadow Hearts (All of them)

Tales of.... (All of them)

Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity - I highly recommend this game. I found the battle system using Action Points interesting, although it's a bit grindy. It is a difficult game.

So yeah. There are loads more, but those cover the ones I know are good or that I've played. The rest, *shrugs*.

Edit: added a few more to the PS2.

Edit 2: Pretty much anything by Atlus is great.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Regarding console games, here's my lists. Note that they are long. @ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Legend of Dragoon - My undisputed favorite for this console.

Suikoden (all of them)

The Final Fantasies obviously. FFI & II are remade on here as FF: Origins, FFIV is combined with Chrono Trigger as FF: Chronicles, and FFV & VI are together as FF: Anthology.

Final Fantasy Tactics - I mention this separately because it's battle system is different from all other FFs. It's a turn based board-style battle system. It's my 2nd favorite FF, my favorite being FFI.

Digimon World - For all the Digimon fans out there, this game was everything you'd want. 

King's Field I & II - A predecessor to Demon's Souls which was a predecessor to Dark Souls. 

Alundra 1 & 2

Arc the Lad Collection
Breath of Fire III &  IV
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Dragon Warrior VII
Grandia
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Legend of Mana
Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Persona
Persona II: Eternal Punishment
Saiyuki: Journey West
Star Ocean: Second Story
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts

Kingdom Hearts - My undisputed favorite, ever. Don't bother with the sequels unless you absolutely love it, get a controller.

Final Fantasy, again, of course. X is awesome imo, though many may disagree. It is my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy. X-2 was ok to me, but most hate it in comparison to X. XII was ok. I barely almost beat it. Couldn't bring myself to beat the final boss.

The entire .Hack series - Easily one of my favorites.

Dark Cloud series - Also one of my favorites

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - I spent literally 1,000 hours playing this game. Admittedly, part of that is my falling asleep and leaving it on, but that accounts for at most 50% of it. 

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

The two Full Metal Alchemist games for PS1. If you liked the show these are great. If you didn't, they are still fun. 

Growlanser Generations - This JRPG is one of the few that I truly enjoyed for it's story alone. The battle system was fun, but I broke it quickly and absolutely destroyed the enemies before I was even half way through the game. This is actually Growlanser II & Growlanser III together. 

La Pucelle Tactics - This is a predecessor to Disgaea. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Disgaea. Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome is another predecessor to Disgaea, but I've never played it.

Monster Hunter - This one is obvious.

Suikoden (All of them again)

Xenosaga (Both of them)

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

So yeah. There are loads more, but those cover the ones I know are good or that I've played. The rest, *shrugs*.

I gotta download emulators now :D..

Thanks for your post Vit!

COMING SOON

JRPG ~ Monster Hunter

RPG ~ Dark Souls

MMORPG ~ RuneScape

Strategy ~ StarCraft 2

MOBA ~ League of Legends/ SMITE

Play Runescape 2008 if you want to know the true Runescape experience.

I mean sure, I was 12 at the time, but still.

If there was one game I could re-experience from the beginning, it would be Runescape.

Also,

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas for RPG/FPS. That is all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

You're welcome. I try.

I consider JRPG's my "genre". If it weren't for PC gaming, 90% of the games I play are JRPGs or RPGs. Of course 50% of that 90% is Disgaea, but that's not the point.

† Christian Member †

Add Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 to that PS2 list and it will be perfect imo. So many great RPGs on Sony boxes.

Git Gud.

Witcher 2 is incredibly cheep and amazing

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Give the Ys series a shot, it's pretty difficult NOT to like that series. Unbelieveably well done, I wish more games had that amount of work put into them.

The Tales of series is a underated series of JRPGs that I love to death. Tales of Xillia came out last year and Tales of Xillia 2 comes out next month.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white