JVC DX1000

Cheesebaron

So I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of near mint JVC HA-DX1000 yesterday, for a pretty fair price. I have been looking for these for a long time, I once had a chance to buy some from the UK, but they had some flaws and the seller was hesitant to ship them overseas, so that didn't go too well. Meanwhile I opted for a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400, then also got a pair of Grado SR325i, all very nice headphones, but nothing compared to the DX1000. At least in my opinion.

I had listened to these at some head-fi meets here in Denmark, where every time I listened to them, I just thought: "Hey, at some point I really need to buy these". And yesterday I had the chance!

Here is a snap of the box:

YDmz3qF.jpg

Here is what is inside:

ffUvmX7.jpg

And how they look on my mug:

bDM3HWy.png

So far my impressions about the sound coming from these is, that they are pretty warm and luscious sounding. They have a very big sound stage, loads of resolution and detail, though.

Very detailed and airy treble, no harshness, no sharp "S" sounds.

Engaged, but warm middles, not dominating but they get the message across.

Bass is plump, but precise, very luscious.

Even though they are on the warm side, they still pack loads of detail, a very big sound stage for a closed headphone, most likely the biggest I have heard from a closed headphone. So far whatever I have played with them, they have reproduced the music brilliantly.

I use them with a Audio-gd 10.32 DAC/AMP, which drives them with ease, haven't tried them with my Fiio X3 yet.

Any other DX1000 users on this forum?

wow, a headphone that is more expensive than my entire build.

Haha me too!

wow, a headphone that is more expensive than my entire build.

Eh, didn't you know what headphone Dark wizzie uses? :P

Back to the topic, I don't have that headphone in my country, I think. Although I'm intrigued after reading that review. Never have I found a closed back headphone that got that correct amount of warmth and richness....

I find these spot on. I like the JVC house sound a lot I think. My JVC FX700 IEM's sound a lot like these, though smaller sound stage and more recessed mids. I find these spot on, at least until I hear a better headphone :P

I wonder what would happen if UnboxTherapy unboxed these headphones. Every time he does something audiophile-ish, people complain about how pricey it is and how it isn't "good looking." They'd be like "Ermergersh, these look like crap, they probably sound like it too, lol." 

Meanwhile, the audio people are like, go back to your homes without a midrange, beets lovers.

I wonder what would happen if UnboxTherapy unboxed these headphones. Every time he does something audiophile-ish, people complain about how pricey it is and how it isn't "good looking." They'd be like "Ermergersh, these look like crap, they probably sound like it too, lol." 

Meanwhile, the audio people are like, go back to your homes without a midrange, beets lovers.

Well, presentation is everything, they say. Like the topic with the other thread, where Bang&Olufsen produce a headphone, and made a video advertising: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogXcQvs9U24

(warning: really hard to watch till the end)

Personally, I'm sold at the brand itself. In the past B&O was reputable for their quality products, but if I put myself in the shoes of someone who never heard of B&O, and watch that video, I wouldn't want to touch that thing with a 10 foot pole....

The new B&O H6 are supposed to sound pretty decent, haven't heard them myself, but from other people over at the Danish Head-fi forum, the verdict is they are pretty good. I can't tell my personal opinion about them other than they look pretty good.

If people are out for some bassy headphones check out this head-fi thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club