Why does Sony not make monitors?

connorpiper

I know, i'm a Sony Fanboy.

But Sony does make nice displays, I really enjoy the IPS Display on my Flip and the TN panel on the Z1S.

So, why does Sony not make monitors? Entering the monitor market is hard, but I can imagine Sony making some awesome looking monitors with some features that would set it apart.

And 4K? Sony seems to love 4K and they have 4K camcorders, Phones, TVs, and Media Players. So why not monitors?

Just a thought, I would love to hear input. I always wondered this.

Sony did make a CRT monitor with the original VAIO, but that was over 16 years ago.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

They don't because of financial issues, most of their ventures into things outside of the PlayStation system have, in recent years, been utter failures. Taking on another product line in a place where it's already over-saturated and dominated by ASUS and BenQ would be a terrible idea and lead to more financial failure for them. They have yet to escape the massive debt they currently inhabit now as it is.

idk maybe they forgot about the monitors lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Even if they did decided to make monitors it'd be a LG or Samsung panel so you might as well buy a Dell.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Too focused on TV's I guess.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Even if they did decided to make monitors it'd be a LG or Samsung panel so you might as well buy a Dell.

They've teamed up with Sharp before too, and they have great panels.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Too focused on TV's I guess.

i forgot they made tvs O_O i havent seen a sony tv since the days of the fat tvs that weighed 150 pounds xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

They don't because of financial issues, most of their ventures into things outside of the PlayStation system have, in recent years, been utter failures. Taking on another product line in a place where it's already over-saturated and dominated by ASUS and BenQ would be a terrible idea and lead to more financial failure for them. They have yet to escape the massive debt they currently inhabit now as it is.

Oh I know, Samsung is taking over the TV department and Walkman is dead. 

Headphones sell well, but don't make much money.

But Sony can remake it's failing image. 

But they could have done this years ago!

i forgot they made tvs O_O i havent seen a sony tv since the days of the fat tvs that weighed 150 pounds xD

We own a couple of new Sony TVs, and a couple of my friends do too. But I see a lot of nice Hitachi and Sony TVs being replaced by VIZIOs.

They've teamed up with Sharp before too, and they have great panels.

Completely forgot about Sharp but they're really only in the TV market AFAIK, I've never seen a monitor with a Sharp panel though there's probably a few that exist.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

LOL, I have a 75 inch fat TV in one of the spare bed rooms. i have been meaning to brake it down and put it by the trash because no one will take it, not even for free.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

Sony does make monitors...professional grade video monitors for color work and production editing environments.  Because of this, they are extremely extremely pricey but you get what you pay for.  

LOL, I have a 75 inch fat TV in one of the spare bed rooms. i have been meaning to brake it down and put it by the trash because no one will take it, not even for free.

lord, rent a forklift and haul it to goodwill

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Because it's a tough market, and Sony doesn't manufacture their own panels, they come from Sharp and S-LCD (Samsung). With divisions like Walkman, Vaio and TVs leaving Sony they are on a rough time.

lord, rent a forklift and haul it to goodwill

I sat it outside for one whole day, and none wanted it for free lol. Its in good condition too, i just don't think people are interested in those big ass things anymore, I know Im not, I haven't used it in years.

Sony does make monitors...professional grade video monitors for color work and production editing environments.  Because of this, they are extremely extremely pricey but you get what you pay for.  

Wow. I forgot all about the Pro website. But a 1080p 9 inch monitor for $2600 is not what I was thinking. 

More like a nice thin 24" desk monitor.

"1080p Entry grade monitor $1000"

And the 4K TRIMASTER "Pricing available upon request"

Wow. I forgot all about the Pro website. But a 1080p 9 inch monitor for $2600 is not what I was thinking. 

More like a nice thin 24" desk monitor.

"1080p Entry grade monitor $1000"

Yup, all the money goes into supporting IO and fancy features on the display that are valuable for video work.  Not to mention the displays are incredibly well performing and I'm willing to bet the margin is much better for Sony than on a consumer grade desktop display :P

Oh I know, Samsung is taking over the TV department and Walkman is dead. 

Headphones sell well, but don't make much money.

But Sony can remake it's failing image. 

But they could have done this years ago!

The point being, trying to break into a new market while being in the middle of financial turmoil isn't an option for them right now.

Sony used to make computer monitors in the early days of LCD days. It's hard to say if they were good or not, as in general LCD monitors of the time where really great as it was fairly new technology.

They didn't sale well, so Sony stop. They make pro grade movie production targeted monitor, however: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-videoproduction/

Sony used to make the LCD panel in TVs as well, but due to financial difficulties and low sales of their Sony TV's, they sold their manufacturing plants. Sony now uses Sharp panels in their TV's.

Sony problem is that they have have lost consumers trust.

Sony used to be about reliability, ease of use, attention to details, performance, and high quality products. Sony started to cheap out like no tomorrow on their consumer grade product (beside PlayStation, and a few things here and there), not innovate, not care, but sill charges a high price, and their after sale service isn't good either, and they drop their warranty to be like any other manufactures (1 year). So, consumers looks elsewhere. In addition, they force propitiatory thing on the consumer which are clearly inferior to defined strands, and very expensive. For example, their digital cameras uses a special memory card, while SD card are faster, hold more storage, smaller and cheaper.

Back in the old days, when we used to have CRT TV's. It was get a Sony Trinitron or nothing, for the best image quality, "no" flickering, and flat glass. No other manufacture could come close to Sony TV's. Their VCRs where top notch as well, despite loosing BetaMax. And Sony released innovations after innovations.

It's like if Apple, not only stop innovating (like they are now), and stop even evolving their product (not there at all), and start releasing their Mac Pro's and iPad and such in cheapo plastic construct, and high manufacture error rates, and have awful after sale service, but keep the same price of their product. Basically turn a company manufacturing premium products into "just any other company".

If it wasn't for their pro grade filming market, and PlayStation, Sony could be seen as a company like RCA today, and no one would know the difference (ok maybe not as bad, but close).

Honestly, it's a real shame on how Sony turned things for the worse. Hopefully, they come back one day.