New processor and motherboard no video output from graphics card

yudothat2me

I updated my computer with a new processor (i7-4790k) and a Maximus VII Hero motherboard. I have only one problem though, I can't get any video to the monitor if I am using my GPU (ASUS R9-290 Direct CU II OC). If I connect the monitor to the onboard processor, I can get the machine to boot into Windows 8.1 without any issues. Only with the GPU does this happen.

I have tried solving this by talking with ASUS Tech Support where we loaded optimized defaults for the board, reseated the video card, RAM, all connections to the board, used only one stick of RAM, cleared CMOS to no avail. I have the latest BIOS for the board (1002).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated so I can start using my GPU in this system.

My system specs are this:

CPU: Intel i7-4790k (stock for now)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 4 x 4GB kit

PSU: Seasonic X-660 660w

GPU: ASUS R9-290 Direct CU II OC using AMD Driver 14.4

Boot drive: Intel 520 series SSD 240 GB

Other drives: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB

Hard drive: WD7501AALS-00J7B0 750GB

Hard drive: WD1600JS-00NNCB1 160GB

Optical drive: Plexor PX-755A

Keyboard: Corsair K90

Mouse: Corsair M65

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

Speakers: Bose Companion 5

Monitor: ASUS 248QE

Is the GPU powering on? 

/try it in one of the other pcie slots. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes, the fans spin up, but the two led's where the power connects do not light up at all. On my previous system, they would be green. Also, I forgot to mention I have an ASUS monitor model VG248QE in my system specs

I changed the GPU to the 8X slot, still no output to monitor. I'll try changing display to pci-e but if I do this, and it doesn't work, will I be able to get back into the BIOS if I connect output to the onboard graphics?

Try using a different monitor, and only use 1 monitor.

Use the MB Integrated Graphics to enter the BIOS and look around on the GPU and graphics areas.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

I forced it to use  PCI-E, no luck, get q-code A0 (IDE Initialization has started) or A2 (IDE Detect) when I do this. I have no IDE devices or ports on this board all drives are SATA ports. Monitor works fine when connected to the onboard graphics. I am only using one monitor.

I forced it to use  PCI-E, no luck, get q-code A0 (IDE Initialization has started) or A2 (IDE Detect) when I do this. I have no IDE devices or ports on this board all drives are SATA ports. Monitor works fine when connected to the onboard graphics. I am only using one monitor.

Go into the HDD area and look where it says what to use IDE or SATA, make sure all of them are as SATA

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

All of the drives are set and enabled for SATA - Windows and BIOS are set to AHCI mode also

I changed out monitor and cable to monitor and the PSU, still nothing. But, I now notice that the fans on the GPU are not spinning - lack of power/shorted out or something?

have you tried installing the AMD drivers first before you plug in the GPU?

AMD GPUs are known to refuse to let you boot to windows without doing the GPU driver install

install the drivers while using your onboard graphics

then plug in your GPU and power on

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

the drivers were already installed previously from my other system that used this card. Should I now uninstall the drivers and reinstall them while plugged into onboard graphics?

have you tried installing the AMD drivers first before you plug in the GPU?

AMD GPUs are known to refuse to let you boot to windows without doing the GPU driver install

install the drivers while using your onboard graphics

then plug in your GPU and power on

The drivers were installed on my other system that was using this card. Should I uninstall them and then re-install them?

did you get a new motherboard as well? 

sometimes the pci-e slot gets out from heavy cards sitting in it.  If you happened to get a used motherboard, you may have some luck by finding a stick or other suitable sized piece of wood and placing it under the GPU to prop it up with it a little bit.  This is done so that the other end of the support (or stick) is wedged onto the bottom of the case.    

but, if your motherboard is brand new this is probably isn't the solution you need. good luck. 

the drivers were already installed previously from my other system that used this card. Should I now uninstall the drivers and reinstall them while plugged into onboard graphics?

The drivers were installed on my other system that was using this card. Should I uninstall them and then re-install them?

yea its a good idea to fresh install the drivers

older driver can conflict with newer drivers sometimes

use the DDU from guru3D to remove traces of the old driver before installing the 14.4 drivers

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

did you get a new motherboard as well? 

sometimes the pci-e slot gets out from heavy cards sitting in it.  If you happened to get a used motherboard, you may have some luck by finding a stick or other suitable sized piece of wood and placing it under the GPU to prop it up with it a little bit.  This is done so that the other end of the support (or stick) is wedged onto the bottom of the case.    

but, if your motherboard is brand new this is probably isn't the solution you need. good luck. 

Yes, the MB is new also. The GPU card is fairly new and I do notice in the case that it doesn't quite line up and stay seated when I put the screws in to hold it in the case. My thinking is that somehow I'm not getting a good seat because there are two green led's under the power connectors that should light up, but are not. I'll try your idea to see if that does anything.

I still cannot get anything but a black screen no matter what I try when a graphics card is installed. I tried forcing it in the BIOS to PCI-e but it won't detect a graphics card. I've tried two cards (an old XFX HD6950 that I know works, and my ASUS R9-290 Direct CU II OC). When either card is in the motherboard and connected to the monitor, the screen will say DVI-No Signal Detected, and then go black. I can tell that it is actually going into Windows 8.1 because of the way the keyboard lights up and how I can shut it down. Is this a bad board seeing that neither previously working video card can be detected? I have also tried putting both GPU's in the 8x PCI-e slot instead of the 16x slot and same thing happens. I've also tried setting in the BIOS to use PCI-e 2.0 instead of 3.0 and still nothing happens. Can anyone either tell me I have a bad board or is it some setting in the BIOS or something else that might be causing this? Thanks for all the help you guys give.

I still cannot get anything but a black screen no matter what I try when a graphics card is installed. I tried forcing it in the BIOS to PCI-e but it won't detect a graphics card. I've tried two cards (an old XFX HD6950 that I know works, and my ASUS R9-290 Direct CU II OC). When either card is in the motherboard and connected to the monitor, the screen will say DVI-No Signal Detected, and then go black. I can tell that it is actually going into Windows 8.1 because of the way the keyboard lights up and how I can shut it down. Is this a bad board seeing that neither previously working video card can be detected? I have also tried putting both GPU's in the 8x PCI-e slot instead of the 16x slot and same thing happens. I've also tried setting in the BIOS to use PCI-e 2.0 instead of 3.0 and still nothing happens. Can anyone either tell me I have a bad board or is it some setting in the BIOS or something else that might be causing this? Thanks for all the help you guys give.

it may sound like a board problem to me

use the video link in my sig to do a BIOS reflash

download the BIOS for you mobo

rename the file to M7H.CAP

dump the file into a thumbdrive formatted as FAT32

plug in to the USB port

press the reflash button

and try again with just one RAM but no HDD attached

plug in your new GPU and try to boot

it may sound like a board problem to me

use the video link in my sig to do a BIOS reflash

download the BIOS for you mobo

rename the file to M7H.CAP

dump the file into a thumbdrive formatted as FAT32

plug in to the USB port

press the reflash button

and try again with just one RAM but no HDD attached

plug in your new GPU and try to boot

I've already flashed the BIOS and have the latest version for the MB. I tried the one stick of RAM and no HDD last week with ASUS tech support, and we couldn't get it to work. I'm going to seek advice of a coworker and if he concludes it's a bad board I'm going to return it for something else this weekend. Any recommendations for a Z97 board that supports the i7-4790k Devil's Canyon?

I've already flashed the BIOS and have the latest version for the MB. I tried the one stick of RAM and no HDD last week with ASUS tech support, and we couldn't get it to work. I'm going to seek advice of a coworker and if he concludes it's a bad board I'm going to return it for something else this weekend. Any recommendations for a Z97 board that supports the i7-4790k Devil's Canyon?

I will say the MSI Z97 Gaming 5

I will say the MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Ugh, I can't stand the MSI implementation of the USB 3.0 port on the board, it's impossible to get it plugged in without bending the pins. :D

Talked with ASUS tech support yesterday and they advised me to replace the board. I did that and rebuilt the machine again. Still having same issue. ASUS tech support said that if the board replacement doesn't fix the issue (likely PCI-e lanes messed up) then it probably is the processor PCI-e controller and I'd have to RMA my processor to Intel. Does this sound plausible or are they just pushing the issue off to someone else?

You need to update your Bios. A lot of motherboard an i7 4790k won't work until you update you Bios.

You need to update your Bios. A lot of motherboard an i7 4790k won't work until you update you Bios.

BIOS is the latest, I did the USB-flashback before I installed the processor. If I have the display connected to the internal graphics on the processor, I can get into Windows 8.1, but if I'm connected to the GPU, nothing but a black screen, but I can tell it is actually loading into Windows. It's just a black display when using the GPU.