(Semi-) passive PSU ?

Caesar

Ok this is basically a copy-paste of this topic in a less-populated subforum ^^

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/silent-computing/41866-semi-passive-psu?s=ee2fd2fa95cf293010aac5eef3d9b4e1

-----------------------------

I'm looking for a fanless or semi-passive PSU, because i'm a bit a silent freak.

There's the Seasonic 520 platinum which is totally fanless (which I showed you here : http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/cases-and-powersupplies/16377-probably-the-most-advanced-psu-today-520w-fanless )

Good, but I will always be limited to one GPU.

Then I saw the Corsair AX760 (not 760i) : they claim up to 65% load without using the fan. I guess that's @20°C or something like that, but anyway at 35°C it will still be more than other semi-fanless PSUs no ? (I see often 20% load for 80+ Gold and 30% on Platinum ones)

Or is there a product I don't know about ?

Thanks.

Well, how many fans do you have in your system? I doubt you will be able to hear a quality psu's fan, they are extremely quiet because they don't need to move much air, and have a quality bearing. You will hear no conceivable difference unless you have a totally fanless system.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

One option for you though it no doubt voids your waranty, is to undervolt a fan inside the PSU. Most of them connect via 3pin to an outlet on the PSU - put a resistor or something in there and drop to 700rpm?

@Rhizo : my system is water cooled and it's silent most of the time because I undervolt the fans. The only thing I'm hearing is my PSU (Corsair TX750, not v2) because it's less that a meter away from me (PC on the table)

@wind : my PSU's warranty is off in about 7 months... but anyway I like tweaking and playing a bit with the components...but with a power supply, I'm careful and wouldn't dare it.

@Rhizo : my system is water cooled and it's silent most of the time because I undervolt the fans. The only thing I'm hearing is my PSU (Corsair TX750' date=' not v2) because it's less that a meter away from me (PC on the table) @wind : my PSU's warranty is off in about 7 months... but anyway I like tweaking and playing a bit with the components...but with a power supply, I'm careful and wouldn't dare it.[/quote']

It's not that big of a modification - just open the case, unplug the fan and put a resistor or something in - you could even just switch it around to a lower RPM fan.

Hm..sounds easy yes, but if i put in a lower rpm fan, who would guarantee that the PSU would not overheat at heavy load ?

And how is the internal thermo-regulation working ? Would it work with another fan ?

Hmm i think that you can do custom fan profiles for your psu with the corsairlink so get the ax 760i.

Hmm... then it begins to be very expensive. Almost luxury.