i want to start programming

Prokart2000

hi guys

so i like computers (who would of ever thought) and i would like to go more in depth with applications ect and even maybe make my own, what programs or guides would i need to follow to start (i a big noob) so i may need a but of guidance :P

thanks guys

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Codecademy is a great tool for beginners. I would suggest to begin with python.

ok thanks for the reply

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Codecademy is a nice place to start.

Start with Java, you can code more in it than Python.

Dint start with java

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Codecademy is a nice place to start.

Start with Java, you can code more in it than Python.

Codeacademy doesn't have Java, and no...you can't program more in Java than in Python.

Download Scratch , it's a very powerfull and easy to use tool for making games...

Ehh, no, but Codeacademy teached me the little that I know. Also, if you want to make games, Unity is great.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

Download Scratch , it's a very powerfull and easy to use tool for making games...

Ehh, no, but Codeacademy teached me the little that I know. Also, if you want to make games, Unity is great.

i suppose making a game would be called could you give me a rundown?

Spoiler

I'm not going to tell you a language to start with. It's more of a subjective thing these days. I personally started with C/C++, I found this useful because I learned about the importance of what goes on at the lower levels early on. That's just myself though and I think it's better that you find something you won't feel overwhelmed by. Higher level languages such as Java, C# are good for this, Python is pleasant as well.

I will however point you to:

http://pluralsight.com/training

http://www.lynda.com/

I will also suggest you look at design patterns, development methodologies (specifically Agile/Scrum), Test Driven Development (TDD) & Behaviour Driven Development.(BDD). All of which can be found at those sites.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

i suppose making a game would be called could you give me a rundown?

There are many great tutorials on YT that explains stuff way better than I do, just search for "Unity tutorial". If you want to figure stuff out your self, I'd suggest going the route of;

-Scratch, yes I know it's not very powerfull or anything, but it's a good start

-GameMaker Studio, now we're getting more serious, with actuall coding

- Unity, pretty much (imo) the best free programming software for games

-Then learning some "real" decoding language (which I have no experience of)

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

so shall i start with unity i have no idea what to do

There are many great tutorials on YT that explains stuff way better than I do, just search for "Unity tutorial". If you want to figure stuff out your self, I'd suggest going the route of;

-Scratch, yes I know it's not very powerfull or anything, but it's a good start
-GameMaker Studio, now we're getting more serious, with actuall coding
- Unity, pretty much (imo) the best free programming software for games
-Then learning some "real" decoding language (which I have no experience of)

I'm not going to tell you a language to start with. It's more of a subjective thing these days. I personally started with C/C++, I found this useful because I learned about the importance of what goes on at the lower levels early on. That's just myself though and I think it's better that you find something you won't feel overwhelmed by. Higher level languages such as Java, C# are good for this, Python is pleasant as well.

I will however point you to:

http://pluralsight.com/training

http://www.lynda.com/

I will also suggest you look at design patterns, development methodologies (specifically Agile/Scrum), Test Driven Development (TDD) & Behaviour Driven Development.(BDD). All of which can be found at those sites.

Spoiler

so shall i start with unity i have no idea what to do

It depends on what level you are currently at. For example if you are an absolute beginner then (I'm going to tentatively say) jumping straight into full blown game development with a framework like that might be overwhelming.

Perhaps give us a better feel for what you know. i.e. do you know about how to use an IDE, do you understand your language constructs, methods, classes and OOP concepts in general.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

It depends on what level you are currently at. For example if you are an absolute beginner then (I'm going to tentatively say) jumping straight into full blown game development with a framework like that might be overwhelming.

Perhaps give us a better feel for what you know. i.e. do you know about how to use an IDE, do you understand your language constructs, methods, classes and OOP concepts in general.

i dont know that stuff lol

Spoiler

i dont know that stuff lol

Well that's ok then. Start slow, maybe something like: http://codingbat.com/ might help. Found it in our  Ultimate Programming Resources Thread. You won't initially require an IDE for that and it might be useful to get you started understanding how language constructs work.

Don't worry that it's targeted specifically at Java & Python. Once we learn our OOP they apply to a great many languages and picking up language #n from then onwards should be trivial.

Do what most people do and start off with HTML then move to either php or javascript. HTML is simple easy to learn. Then move to making it work with javascript or/both php which is a different programming style. After you learned one of those two then look in to python, java or C, C#, C++.

Main thing when programming is understanding the syntax.

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

Codecademy is a great tool for beginners. I would suggest to begin with python.

Im actually doing this now and its excelllent. Nice refresher.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Do what most people do and start off with HTML then move to either php or javascript. HTML is simple easy to learn. Then move to making it work with javascript or/both php which is a different programming style. After you learned one of those two then look in to python, java or C, C#, C++.

Main thing when programming is understanding the syntax.

Algorithms are good for truly building code. IMO once you've grasp how algorithms are written; you can turn the syntax over so much quicker.

I'd recommend C after learning html and javascript.

Javascript is a beautiful language that Im just starting to realise.

ok thanks

Spoiler

i need a good html website i really dont know where to start

Spoiler

If you're interested in HTML then once again I'm going to point you at pluralsight and lynda :P

Codecademy if you were asking for a place to learn. Trust me its great and its not clustered with too much information at once. The way its setup you'll never a website in a week time. 

You basically just have to stick with it. 

or you can try tutorialpointz

Javascript isn't the same thing?

Oh...

No, Javascript is only called Javascript because at the time it was created Java was the hot new thing so they decided to give it a similar name. Other than the name, they have very little to do with each other (besides also both being C-like in their syntax).

Set up a linux machine and start coding python. 

Codeacademy is only good for seeing how programming works, it honestly won't teach you jack shit..