Which GPU/s do you recommend for gaming.

DatBrummie

My current setup is in my signature, so I won't go over it again.

Apart from that I'm only currently using one 660 because I lent my other to my friend when his GPU died and he needed one.

I just started working, and am working all summer. I only earn £150 a week but it's still money. So I was thinking of spending it on my computer.

I was at first considering getting another 8GB RAM kit but I think that's a waste as my GPU is the lowest spec part in my system as of right now.

So what do you recommend. I'd prefer a sub £300 GPU, as I'm not good at saving my money once I get it. But will also listen to options that cost more. 

I was looking at an EVGA 770 with the dual fan cooler.

Is this a good choice, if not then what else do you suggest?

Thanks.

Is get a 280x over a 770

But I'd really aim for a 290

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'd recommend checking out some of AMD's cards, they tend to be cheaper than their Nvidia counterparts. I recommend the Sapphire Tri-X and Powercolor PCS+ cards, get a 290 if possible, a 280X is still a 1080p killer though.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

My current setup is in my signature, so I won't go over it again.

Apart from that I'm only currently using one 660 because I lent my other to my friend when his GPU died and he needed one.

I just started working, and am working all summer. I only earn £150 a week but it's still money. So I was thinking of spending it on my computer.

I was at first considering getting another 8GB RAM kit but I think that's a waste as my GPU is the lowest spec part in my system as of right now.

So what do you recommend. I'd prefer a sub £300 GPU, as I'm not good at saving my money once I get it. But will also listen to options that cost more. 

I was looking at an EVGA 770 with the dual fan cooler.

Is this a good choice, if not then what else do you suggest?

Thanks.

Get the R9 280 (non-X), which is well below your £300 budget. It's only around £185 and should be more than enough to run almost anything on ultra at 1080p resolution and still achieve 60 FPS. It can even go ultra at 1440p and still achieve close to 60 FPS on many games. Check out this review here: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/msi-r9-280-gaming-v-pny-gtx760-xlr8-185-shootout/22/

The new GPUs are about to be released soon. I think they're worth the wait. Both the GTX 770 and R9 280X, which are in the £250 to 300 range, are old. Especially the GTX 770 given its obsolete RAM and bus configuration, which isn't holding up well against new releases. They're just a rebranded GTX 680 and HD 7970 Ghz edition from 2012 after all. I wouldn't be surprised if the new GPUs in the £250 to 300 range are noticeably faster than the GTX 780 and R9 290.

Rig: Intel Core i7-2600 / Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X / 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Seagate Hybrid SSHD 2 TB / FSP500-60APN 500W / 3x 20" 1600x900 LED / 51" Samsung F5000 plasma / Acer K330 LED projector
15.6" Clevo W650SJ: Intel Core i7-4810MQ / Geforce GTX 850M / 1 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Hitachi 1 TB 7200 rpm
14" Lenovo Y460: Intel Core i5-520M / Mobility Radeon HD 5650 / 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 / Hitachi 500 GB 5400 rpm

I'd go with the R9 280X, as djdwosk97 said, if you can afford it go for a R9 290 or 290x.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

to be honest I would get the R9 270x or the R9 290. because the 280x is not that much less expensive than the 290 but 290 will destroy the 280x.

What's the AMD vs NVidia comparison like currently?

I don't know how the current gens compare.

The new GPUs are about to be released soon. I think they're worth the wait. Both the GTX 770 and R9 280X, which are in the £250 to 300 range, are old. Especially the GTX 770 given its obsolete RAM and bus configuration, which isn't holding up well against new releases. They're just a rebranded GTX 680 and HD 7970 Ghz edition from 2012 after all. I wouldn't be surprised if the new GPUs in the £250 to 300 range are noticeably faster than the GTX 780 and R9 290.

Are new GPUs coming out for Nvidia and for AMD or just for one?

How long will it be until release? Before September? 

Will the GTX 880 be good? I don't know the top level AMD card is called to ask about it.

What's the AMD vs NVidia comparison like currently?

I don't know how the current gens compare.

Are new GPUs coming out for Nvidia and for AMD or just for one?

How long will it be until release? Before September?

Will the GTX 880 be good? I don't know the top level AMD card is called to ask about it.

Nvidia cards are the ones that are rumored to come out at the end of this year. Anyways, nobody really knows, only Nvidia. Waiting depends on how much are you willing to wait. If you want a new card NOW, there's nothing bad or wrong going with the R9 280, a nice bang for the buck card right now. Also, with 20nm fabrication being delayed, a lot of rumors say that the improvements of the new gen is going to be focused in power consumption more than raw performance like the 750 Ti. The truth is that nobody but Nvidia knows. If you need a card now I would buy it and forget about upgrades in a year or two.

It's true that you're buying old tech, but at least is good.

Nvidia cards are the ones that are rumored to come out at the end of this year. Anyways, nobody really knows, only Nvidia. Waiting depends on how much are you willing to wait. If you want a new card NOW, there's nothing bad or wrong going with the R9 280, a nice bang for the buck card right now. Also, with 20nm fabrication being delayed, a lot of rumors say that the improvements of the new gen is going to be focused in power consumption more than raw performance like the 750 Ti. The truth is that nobody but Nvidia knows. If you need a card now I would buy it and forget about upgrades in a year or two.

It's true that you're buying old tech, but at least is good.

I'm not desperate for one right now. I just thought now that I'm earning some money I should upgrade the lowest performing part in my PC.

I might just save a couple of hundred £s until the next gen cards come out then. Then I'll look again.

Everyone's saying get AMD but the Nvidia fanboy in me says get a 780 for £350 :(