Rate the Photo Above you

9 minutes ago, cc143 said:

if you are shooting at f/1.4, the DOF is quite shallow, making it more difficult to hit the correct focal plane, even with a single subject

That’s just a matter of using the right focus point and knowing how to calibrate your camera and lens’ focusing if they need calibration, or manually compensating if you are familiar with the behavior of your lens.  But yes, 1.4 DOF is super thin and is very easy to miss the focus of you are not careful.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Taken out while hanging passenger side window going 130kph, so bare with me lol

Tried using rule of thirds to frame the shot to the wheels and road. Also tired getting face in the mirror, but no bweno :(

APSC

F1.4 50mm

IMG_4492.thumb.jpg.779cf0f0baa3b926a2937dee5b193fe3.jpg

CPU: A good one | Motherboard: A blue medium in size | RAM: Enough for gaming | GPU: Two big ones | Case: Black with colors | Storage: More then enough | PSU: Could kill me if I licked it | Displays: Two of them | Cooling: A few fans | Keyboard: Yes | Mouse: Yes, on a wire | Sound: Sure | Operating System: You betcha!

35 minutes ago, gleetk said:

Tried using rule of thirds to frame the shot to the wheels and road. Also tired getting face in the mirror, but no bweno :(

APSC

F1.4 50mm

IMG_4492.thumb.jpg.779cf0f0baa3b926a2937dee5b193fe3.jpg

Nice photo but please don’t risk your life like that, if you want to do these sort of shots either get proper mounts or use a zoom lens while standing on the side of the road.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

19 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Nice photo but please don’t risk your life like that, if you want to do these sort of shots either get proper mounts or use a zoom lens while standing on the side of the road.

I do this professional anyways, but more video then anything, I do have a car mount that support 50lbs but on the other hand, given the situation. it was a run and gun moment taking photos of my friends care before he passed away 3 weeks ago...

But I understand the concern. Noted I had myself anchored in the car well, made sure that no one else was around before doing it in case of a MVA or avoidance situation. Plus zoom lens are out of the question for me. I'm a prime lens guy for life.

CPU: A good one | Motherboard: A blue medium in size | RAM: Enough for gaming | GPU: Two big ones | Case: Black with colors | Storage: More then enough | PSU: Could kill me if I licked it | Displays: Two of them | Cooling: A few fans | Keyboard: Yes | Mouse: Yes, on a wire | Sound: Sure | Operating System: You betcha!

1 hour ago, gleetk said:

But I understand the concern. Noted I had myself anchored in the car well, made sure that no one else was around before doing it in case of a MVA or avoidance situation. Plus zoom lens are out of the question for me. I'm a prime lens guy for life.

I meant a prime telephoto, like a 300mm, or 400mm or longer.

Also, safety and making sure amateurs don't try to mimic the risks we take.  I've also done dangerous stuff, but as a fellow pro I know the risks and if it's only for myself I sometimes forego with some safety concerns to get the shot but that doesn't mean I'll encourage others to take safety lightly.

3 hours ago, gleetk said:

There isn't much motion visible. You could have gotten the same effect at 25kph and using a slower shutter.

2 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Also, safety and making sure amateurs don't try to mimic the risks we take.  I've also done dangerous stuff, but as a fellow pro I know the risks and if it's only for myself I sometimes forego with some safety concerns to get the shot but that doesn't mean I'll encourage others to take safety lightly.

Making sure amateurs don’t mimic risky stuff is always hard. I do a lot of rock climbing both indoors and outdoors as well as working as a trainer (not an educated instructor yet so I’m not allowed to teach out how to use saftey stuff and so on). But I often see inexperienced people trying to copy what more experienced climbers do, or worse, just expect they can learn how to belay on the fly. That does not work as it is a lot of risk taking involved and mostly the evaluation of risks. For example, I know if you are climbing on ”lead” indoors you basically should never take a fall before the third bolt (because this may very well result in a ground fall). An amateur would not think of this, like at all. And I’ve seen it for myself where you had to step in and tell them how to do it properly. 

So my point is, people will always try and replicate things without knowing and it is very hard to prevent it. Even if you provide info, they often ignore it. You as a ”pro” or what you want to call it should not have to take responsbility of an amateur that haven’t evaluated the risks properly. 

Now enough of that. Here is an image of mine. And the one on the car above, I liked the edit but I think I would have prefferd a slightly wider focal length and a bit more motion showed in the image. 

47AEBC0A-C8C7-4E53-9A2E-7CEA04B3A01B.jpeg

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

9 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Making sure amateurs don’t mimic risky stuff is always hard. I do a lot of rock climbing both indoors and outdoors as well as working as a trainer (not an educated instructor yet so I’m not allowed to teach out how to use saftey stuff and so on). But I often see inexperienced people trying to copy what more experienced climbers do, or worse, just expect they can learn how to belay on the fly. That does not work as it is a lot of risk taking involved and mostly the evaluation of risks. For example, I know if you are climbing on ”lead” indoors you basically should never take a fall before the third bolt (because this may very well result in a ground fall). An amateur would not think of this, like at all. And I’ve seen it for myself where you had to step in and tell them how to do it properly. 

So my point is, people will always try and replicate things without knowing and it is very hard to prevent it. Even if you provide info, they often ignore it. You as a ”pro” or what you want to call it should not have to take responsbility of an amateur that haven’t evaluated the risks properly. 

Now enough of that. Here is an image of mine. And the one on the car above, I liked the edit but I think I would have prefferd a slightly wider focal length and a bit more motion showed in the image. 

47AEBC0A-C8C7-4E53-9A2E-7CEA04B3A01B.jpeg

Nice photo, love the reflections.  Though I feel a wider shot would work better.

I know what you mean, it’s the same in my scuba diving community.  Yeah I’m worried about the monkey see monkey do mentality.  If some beginner sees me diving without a spare second stage (for a particular reason that I would justify for myself) I’m worried they might see me and think it’s ok for them to do it too.  Not that I ever dive without a spare second stage of course, just giving an example.

20 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I get it. Next time ill just post a photo for review and not tell anyone how I did it lol. Just noted 80% of my work is car related, so I have been doing it for awhile but I am aware anything can happen at anytime.

But yeah, this is what I use for the car mount: (came-tree G-51)

IMG_5487.jpg

10 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Nice photo, love the reflections.  Though I feel a wider shot would work better.

I know what you mean, it’s the same in my scuba diving community.  Yeah I’m worried about the monkey see monkey do mentality.  If some beginner sees me diving without a spare second stage (for a particular reason that I would justify for myself) I’m worried they might see me and think it’s ok for them to do it too.  Not that I ever dive without a spare second stage of course, just giving an example.

This is actually a crop of a wide shot. Only one I have on my phone though as I posted it to my instagram (where vertical shots is the way to go) 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

IMG_5936.thumb.jpg.6e8925ece4051fd309dfe46517bb6419.jpg

10 hours ago, gleetk said:

IMG_5936.thumb.jpg.6e8925ece4051fd309dfe46517bb6419.jpg

Right place at right time?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Right place at right time?

Nah actually got a few. This one is one of my favs:

IMG_5869.jpg

On 11/16/2017 at 6:20 AM, benwubbleyou said:

I love the color and sharpness. Super well done.

image.thumb.png.c04ca6db0f778e4c5a4083b5bfaafb69.png

My wife.

it has a film look to it, but the artistic portrait from behind sort of thing isn't really my style, The composition works though, I think it wouldn't if you followed the rule of thirds. 

This was taken with the xt10 and pentacon 50mm f/1.8. Looking at it on the computer one can really understand how far lenses have come over the years, there are much sharper kit lenses out there these days, but, the bokeh has a certain something.  

DSCF8208.jpg

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Keith W said:

I love street photography so your picture appeals to me however I still find it a bit to soft.

I have an old Helios 44M in my camera bag that gives some great bokeh but it just doesn't get any use these days, it takes a bit of dedication to keep using older lenses when you can achieve the same with more modern ones.

5a275492ca34a_WestLothianPride2017247BW.thumb.jpg.eedf282fc14c000c38b3d59a76cf7565.jpg

Love the contrast, great photo.

20170525_104742.thumb.jpg.f59bbfdf5f99cc4dbe746687f3b648cc.jpg

The lake District.

On 7/16/2013 at 12:33 PM, TechShroom said:

Yeah, apparently it's impossible to upload to the forum from a mobile device. Or at least from my particular mobile device.

Also all you really need to take HDRs is a camera in which you can modify the exposure. Then just take three or five separate pictures with ranging exposure (on a tripod of course) and put them together in software. 

(edit) Oh and also just to have less text only posts here's an example taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 and edited with Luminance HDR. The effect in this one is quite unnecessarily wild and you can make it tamer if you want.

post-801-0-46479300-1373977001.jpg

8/10  such a nice photo, looks slightly grainy after a while but otherwise great photo

Nikon D90

Birel ART series UK

photo of morgan cole but taken by me

19702396_770381043142073_6827871310240378697_n.jpg

Looks good. The angle looking up works well for it.

Here is a picture I took at my friend's lake house. I know it was a cheap LG.

CAM00011.jpg

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, noyolo said:

Hi there

I'm not a good critic soo excuse my criticism. I personally like black and white photos :) I like that the squirrel is grasping the tree.. The background blur helps isolate the subject a lot .. i like it .I think that the squirrel is too dark .. maybe a bit of an exposure bump should fix it. 9/10

rate my photo before and after, do not criticize too much:

IMG_0002-1 a&b_preview.jpeg

TBH I am not a big fan of the skin retouching, maybe cleaning the minor imperfections and bumps around the lips but the skin has lost most of its texture.

Still a really good portrait, but you have to make the skin look real.

IMG_0467-2.thumb.jpg.27f181c2558fda6a88c54acdadb63635.jpg

From a wedding I shot in December

Shot on Nexus 6p. a few years ago. 

IMG_20160815_190943.thumb.jpg.65f44274236c0a8634a66e275fc1e7cb.jpg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 1/9/2018 at 7:43 PM, benwubbleyou said:

TBH I am not a big fan of the skin retouching, maybe cleaning the minor imperfections and bumps around the lips but the skin has lost most of its texture.

Still a really good portrait, but you have to make the skin look real.

From a wedding I shot in December

That is a great image, really captured the moment there. I personally like a bit more contrast, but eye of the beholder. I assume you this is your style and your clients hired you because of it, so my opinion doesn't really hold weight. I would be interested to see a monochrome version though.  

On 1/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

Shot on Nexus 6p. a few years ago. 

Its a nice picture but has sort of a snapshot look to it.  

2017-12-15 RED (2 of 18)

From a concert I shot over the holidays. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

15 hours ago, cc143 said:

From a concert I shot over the holidays. 

Imo a good photo, I like it! However, I don't know how active the subject was on stage, but I think a bit more emotion or dynamic movement would make it better. Otherwise a great picture.

I shot this yesterday in my local forest. This was my first time mainly photographing trees. I had only a short moment before the light changed and I would lose the harsh contrast on the trunks. 

DSC08836.jpg

On 1/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, historicalpoultry said:

Imo a good photo, I like it! However, I don't know how active the subject was on stage, but I think a bit more emotion or dynamic movement would make it better. Otherwise a great picture.

There's about a dozen of them on my flickr here: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Others were better in that respect, but I like the exposure of this one better I guess, also, it works without a crop (I was shooting from the soundbooth basically).