Rate the Photo Above you

5 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You mean calibrate the monitor and profile the printer to match what is seen on the screen.

I'm not sure what the exact technical term is but I think you understood me, so yes :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not sure what the exact technical term is but I think you understood me, so yes :P

Get something like a ColorMunki, Spyder or a i1Display, i1Pro, calibrate the monitor and if it's a good printer you can find pre-made printer profiles for various papers.  For example, a photo printer I use is the Epson SureColor P800 and the Epson profiles for their Glossy, SemiGloss, etc. papers, or profiles from third party paper brands like Ilford work very well.

Or spend a bit extra (at least $1500 if you go with X-Rite and around $700+ with Spyder Studio/Print Kit) on a calibration kit that includes not just tools to calibrate and profile a monitor, but also projectors, printers, etc. and make your own profiles for everything.

But even if you calibrate the monitor, it may not match the print results if the monitor is a low end model.  For people who are serious about printing their own photos, either for fun or for work, I recommend getting a very good monitor.  Something along the lines of an Eizo ColorEdge (if you can afford it) or Dell/HP Premiere/Dream Color series, some models from NEC, LG, etc that I don't recall, etc. which usually cost in the region of $1000+.

Same thing for the printer.  Low end or budget printers with the ability to print photos are not really that great compared to higher end dedicated photo printers.  Most printers below $500 use the basic CYMK ink, good photo printers use other ink pigments, such as Orange, Light Black, Light Light Black, Vivid Magenta, Light Cyan, etc. to be able to produce a wider gamut of colors for the print.  For example, if you truly want to print your own high quality Black&White photos, get a photo printer that uses different shades of Black and Grey pigments.  Relying on a basic CYMK only printer or printer that uses color pigments to re-create various black and grey tones will produce in mediocre results and even color casting or bronzing.  Of course there is an even more expensive and better way to get excellent B&W prints but this goes a bit beyond consumer level budget.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 10/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, Yannik said:

I love street photography and photohournalism. I love the scene and the composition. If you had waited for like another few minutes you might even have had a cleaner background. But I also think that you need to step up your editing game. Check out people like Alan Schaller or Shane Taylor, they might help you to find your own style. I'd give your photograph an 8/10 (mostly for composition and because I love street photography).

I'm currently trying to find my own style as well. I went on a little photowalk (by myself) last tuesday and took this photograph in Stuttgart (Germany). I had luck getting the sun out, it was mostly cloudy that say, so shadows were rare. 

Stuttgarts-Streets-2.thumb.jpg.eda4420d3a3f6103d964160c918d2c1b.jpg

I really like this one. I love how much grey there is. It makes what colour is there stand out quite a bit more. For example, the detail in the person walking by. The red of the shoes, the green of his backpack straps. The composition is good too. I do wish there was something with a bit more colour. Maybe if the car was bright red, or blue. but other than that, the contrast between everything is spot on. You really got the right lighting, that's for sure. 

Here's one that I shot night before last. Its rare I get out and get to do any light trails, but I am super happy with the way this one turned out.  I'm still learning to properly setup for a long exposure, and while I know my settings inside and out, I usually use bulb mode for anything long. Getting the length of time just right is a challenge. This was 17 seconds, I believe.  

IMG_9251(1).jpg

I guess I'll just slide these pictures right in here? Idk what I should do. I watermarked one because I'm an asshole. Both were taken from my house with kit lenses

Watermarked Eclipse.jpg

Starry but trailing on.jpg

Spoiler
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X
  • Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro
  • RAM: 32 GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400
  • GPU: MSI 5700XT MECH
  • Case: Fractal Define R5
  • Storage: 1TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, Samsung Evo 960 1TB SSD
  • PSU: Corsair CX750M
  • Display(s): HP 24W
  • Cooling: 1 120mm Corsair fan, Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016
  • Mouse: Razer Deathadder Basilisk.
  • Sound: Razer 7.1 Kraken Chroma V2, LG SJ4Y 300W soundbar
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

8 hours ago, harveychestbreach said:

I guess I'll just slide these pictures right in here? Idk what I should do. I watermarked one because I'm an asshole. Both were taken from my house with kit lenses

Starry but trailing on.jpg

Dig the light hitting the tree on the right. Also you know... the galaxy. Hard not to like the galaxy.

This was one of the first shots I took with my a6500, pretty much zero idea what I'm doing - got it for photogrammetry, but figure some photography can't hurt.

ommmm1.1.png

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:07 AM, Serin said:

Dig the light hitting the tree on the right. Also you know... the galaxy. Hard not to like the galaxy.

This was one of the first shots I took with my a6500, pretty much zero idea what I'm doing - got it for photogrammetry, but figure some photography can't hurt.

Giving this one a solid 9/10. Love the wide open aperture and shallow depth of field. 

I'll submit this one, from a river cruise in NYC, right at golden hour. It was awesome.

IMG_5309.jpg

ASU

On 10/19/2017 at 7:51 AM, Hackentosher said:

Giving this one a solid 9/10. Love the wide open aperture and shallow depth of field. 

I'll submit this one, from a river cruise in NYC, right at golden hour. It was awesome.

IMG_5309.jpg

Overblown highlights...

One of our clients, a martial arts trainer

59e9fd8a55c2f_DanTimis.thumb.jpg.66dba768b2bc004b0d853c7f667ea9f6.jpg

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 5/19/2013 at 5:29 PM, Blade of Grass said:

Hey guys!

I thought I'd show the photography section some more love, and maybe try to get it more active.

So I have a little game, I'll start it off. Basically, you're going to rate the person above you's photo, and then post you own to be rated.

Rules:

• ONLY constructive criticism allowed
  • No retaliation ratings, if someone gives your photo a low score, you are NOT allowed to give them a poor rating to 'get back' at them
  • No OT posts, please stick to the rating-photo posts only, if you see a post that doesn't follow the rules, ignore it and move on
  • Photos can be rated on a 1-10 scale, or can be verbal ratings
  • Photos must be your own
  • Skip OT posts and rate the photos above them
  • Have fun!

To start us off:

-original photo removed, available upon request-

I'd like to just like to quote the rules here. 

ASU

On 10/16/2017 at 2:07 PM, Serin said:

ommmm1.1.png

To me this looks like some random test of a new camera

42 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Infrared, Canon 10d, 50mm lens@f/4 (IIRC)

really?  It doesn't look like it tbh, but then I've only ever really seen that used on trees, not people.  I guess I'm expecting something like you'd get from a FLIR camera when in reality the IR cameras can capture is really close to normal red

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This was on a beach, and dunes behind her give it away. Her hair, in real life, is dark brown.

I have several others that would perhaps show off IR better, but they are NSFW...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

54 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

really?  It doesn't look like it tbh, but then I've only ever really seen that used on trees, not people.  I guess I'm expecting something like you'd get from a FLIR camera when in reality the IR cameras can capture is really close to normal red

IR photography with converted cameras are not the same as what you see using a FLIR camera. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_photography

When taking IR portraits:

• depending on the material of the clothes they wear, you can sometimes get something like a see-through effect.  As in you may be able to see the underwear that someone is wearing beneath their shirt/pants
  • dyed hair can potentially show up in a IR photo as a different color.  Essentially what I mean is you can tell of someone has dyed their hair or has natural hair color.
  • human skin can have a ghostlike surreal appearance

47 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

IR photography with converted cameras are not the same as what you see using a FLIR camera.

Yeah I knew that much at least but I would have expected the skin to almost glow compared to the background, but I guess like I said the IR band cameras capture isn't that far from the visible space...

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I knew that much at least but I would have expected the skin to almost glow compared to the background, but I guess like I said the IR band cameras capture isn't that far from the visible space...

The skin glow can depend on a few factors.  Such as the cut off of the IR filter used, or the camera angle in relation to the angle of the sun, and of course the exposure triangle settings.

1 hour ago, Camofelix said:

Recent headshot shoot! 

Henry AjzenBerg-final 5.jpg

7/10 

It’s nice shot and all, but I don’t like how the top of the head is cut off. Maybe the bags under the eyes could have been ”fixed” a bit in post as well. 

Here is a recent shot of mine. Trying to capture some fall colors before its over. Having a hard time getting out shooting though since I have a lot in school. 

077D30B4-7D7C-4802-BC50-0524AE2D80D6.jpeg

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

16 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

7/10 

It’s nice shot and all, but I don’t like how the top of the head is cut off. Maybe the bags under the eyes could have been ”fixed” a bit in post as well. 

Here is a recent shot of mine. Trying to capture some fall colors before its over. Having a hard time getting out shooting though since I have a lot in school. 

077D30B4-7D7C-4802-BC50-0524AE2D80D6.jpeg

Not really sold on the orientation and the lack of details in the highlights, and of course the colors look pretty bad.  Perhaps I'm just used to seeing fall colors being more vibrant.

On 2017-10-15 at 2:20 AM, TheMightyGeroMouse said:

I really like this one. I love how much grey there is. It makes what colour is there stand out quite a bit more. For example, the detail in the person walking by. The red of the shoes, the green of his backpack straps. The composition is good too. I do wish there was something with a bit more colour. Maybe if the car was bright red, or blue. but other than that, the contrast between everything is spot on. You really got the right lighting, that's for sure. 

Here's one that I shot night before last. Its rare I get out and get to do any light trails, but I am super happy with the way this one turned out.  I'm still learning to properly setup for a long exposure, and while I know my settings inside and out, I usually use bulb mode for anything long. Getting the length of time just right is a challenge. This was 17 seconds, I believe.  

IMG_9251(1).jpg

Something that I've done in the past for long exposure work is shoot 2 images. One is the long exposure itself so you get your light trails, the other a much lower exposure (maybe bring it down by 4 stops on the shutter?) then composite in the sky from the second image. Should be much darker, and with it being overcast, allows it to have some definition 

9 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Not really sold on the orientation and the lack of details in the highlights, and of course the colors look pretty bad.  Perhaps I'm just used to seeing fall colors being more vibrant.

I do have a horizontal version aswell but since I’m ok my phone I only got the vertical as it is what works best for instagram. 

Went for the blown out highlights in post as it was an overcast day and it looked better imo with a more clean and ”white” background. It was an artistic choice if I can say so. Desarurated look is the same. I’m tired of all super vibrant fall colors. I like the desaturated ones that show the cold and rainy feel that is associated to fall (at least here in sweden where its like 0-5 degrees now). 

But its defentivly inspired by someone like ”@airpixels” on instagram. 

Reflecting on it now a day after I’d probably break the rule of thirds and put the horizon in the middle as the reflection effect may have a larger impact then. Would probably keep the desaturated and blown out look though. 

I graciously appreciate the critic, even if it may not seem so haha. Just trying to describe my own though process behind it. Its interesting to hear other peoples thoughts and ideas. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Started as a hobby now my friends are paying me to take their pics. My most recent photoshoot.

_DSC0234bw.jpg

18 hours ago, RiceAhoy said:

Started as a hobby now my friends are paying me to take their pics. My most recent photoshoot.

_DSC0234bw.jpg

4/10. I get what you were trying to go for here, but it doesn't work for this shot. The framing is really off. Not showing his eye contact with her makes the viewer not sure where to look and along with the negative space right in the middle. The whole image is framed too low and cropping off people's faces is generally a no-no especially in couple shoots. Either go for detailed shots or whole shots (pro tip, never cut off limbs :P) Also watch your background, leading lines can work really well, but I feel this is a more of a distraction than anything.

Higher contrast would also help. Drop the blacks in whatever program you're using. If you want that 'matte' look, in a tone curve, just raise the very bottom left up (shadows) 

I hope this CC helps! 

----

Freelance Photographer & Videographer// VR Enthusiast // Purple Reign  - 7700K @5Ghz, Asus Strix 1080Ti, Asus Strix 1070, Corsair Dominator Platinum LE (chrome) 32GB RAM, Corsair 450D, Corsair H115i AIO, Corsair AX860i, Corsair Maglev fans, Samsung 850 500GB SSD, Corsair Metallic Graphite cables, MNPCtech Aluminium cable combs.  

This is a film shot, no post, straight from the camera. Nikon F3HP with a 17-35mm lens (IIRC at around 20mm) on a foggy morning a few winters ago.

Greenbank Radio Telescope in West VA. No modern gear allowed there (it interferes with their work)

9454139-R3-036-16A.jpg

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is a film shot, no post, straight from the camera. Nikon F3HP with a 17-35mm lens (IIRC at around 20mm) on a foggy morning a few winters ago.

Greenbank Radio Telescope in West VA. No modern gear allowed there (it interferes with their work)

My god, am I nerding out over this picture! I haven't messed with film myself, so I don't really have anything to say about the execution of the photo in that regard. But this is really cool. I love space and everything connected to it and this photo brings together that interest with photography for me. The light bleeding over the radio telescope makes it seem to me just a little mystical. I don't know what it is exactly that causes it, but the simplicity of film photography, in terms of it being raw without any post porcessing like in this picture, really appeals to me sometimes.