Rate the Photo Above you

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I am not using the windows 10 photos app, I am using the one that is on windows 7 and stuff too.
I will send you the raw on PM, but just a note, it is underexposed. (I did rise it in post)

And btw, I know I should get a tripod that isnt shit.
I also want to get my own camera sometime in the future.
(the camera gear I am using, I am borrowing from a granddad that dont use it anymore)

You should try making your lighting more optimal if you have issues with the exposure of product shots. You could use desk lamps as a cheap way to do it, although it does mean you will probably have to set your white balance manually. It isn't optimal, but it beats correcting in post sometimes, especially with older cameras.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

I am not using the windows 10 photos app, I am using the one that is on windows 7 and stuff too.

Hm, I've never seen that one open a RAW file before, if yours is able to, perhaps it is viewing an embedded jpg.

I will send you the raw on PM, but just a note, it is underexposed. (I did rise it in post)

That would affect the effective ISO, since raising exposure in post is often very similar or even identical to setting a higher ISO in camera

And btw, I know I should get a tripod that isnt shit.

yes :P  Remember, "a good tripod is for life, not just for Christmas"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, I've never seen that one open a RAW file before, if yours is able to, perhaps it is viewing an embedded jpg.

That would affect the effective ISO, since raising exposure in post is often very similar or even identical to setting a higher ISO in camera

yes :P  Remember, "a good tripod is for life, not just for Christmas"

Well, I should probably have done noise reduction in post anyway, I forgot.

3 minutes ago, cc143 said:

You should try making your lighting more optimal if you have issues with the exposure of product shots. You could use desk lamps as a cheap way to do it, although it does mean you will probably have to set your white balance manually. It isn't optimal, but it beats correcting in post sometimes, especially with older cameras.

I only have one desk lap that you can move around, sadly, but I did not try to use it.
Well, if I do try to do the exact same kind of picture in the future, (I probably should and want to) I would have to do another subject/buy new ones.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

Well, I should probably have done noise reduction in post anyway, I forgot.

I only have one desk lap that you can move around, sadly, but I did not try to use it.
Well, if I do try to do the exact same kind of picture in the future, (I probably should and want to) I would have to do another subject/buy new ones.

Well yeah, the tomatoes will probably have been eaten or gone bad by then;P 

But (seriously now;P) look through amazon, there are lamps out there that are mostly used for lighting studios etc. The good thing about them is that they give you the temperature as well, so you don't have to determine it on your own. 

You would probably need another though to control the shadows of your object. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

Back to focusing more on the art side of the image rather than the technical, I think I might try swapping the position of the two small tomatoes in front, so the one with the stem showing is the middle one, so that when you do the rule of thirds composition it's a little more "centre stage" rather than way off to the side.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Back to focusing more on the art side of the image rather than the technical, I think I might try swapping the position of the two small tomatoes in front, so the one with the stem showing is the middle one, so that when you do the rule of thirds composition it's a little more "centre stage" rather than way off to the side.

When you mention it, yes I should probably have done that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, Mihle said:

Canon 600D

Correct exposure is very important with Canon.

These sensors are limited in terms of dynamic range and noise.

With Nikon or Sony you can do much stronger corrections in post.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:40 PM, HazMatt said:

The only thing that bugs me is the difference in color between the window light and the kitchen lights. Other than that the exposure and framing both look good.

Here's mine.

35068972910_237a04e6fc_b.jpg

Packard Clipper

9.5/10

Nice picture, love the depth of field. I almost feel like this photo should be in sepia. The plant with the yellow flowers distracts from the focal point (imo). 

Now to mine:

CdQhZjp.jpg

Downtown Riverside, CA

Shot from Cessna 172, I was co-pilot. Sony A6000. 

It's not a perfect shot, it's difficult to get still images at sunset from a moving plane :dry:

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Took this the other day on my Sony a6000.

Sage.JPG

My Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k

GPUAsus GTX 1080 Strix

MOBO: Asus Maximus XI Apex

RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

HDD(S): 2tb Seagate Firecuda, 2TB WD Black

SSD(S): 480GB Corsair MP500, 960GB Corsair Force LE, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG

COOLER: Corsair H150i Pro

MONITOR: Asus PG279Q

KEYBOARD: Kinesis Gaming Edge With MX Browns

MOUSE: Corsair Glaive RGB

HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD650

39 minutes ago, hydrogalaxy said:

It's quite noisy and desaturated, and there is an odd black glow/shadow along the left of the plant, what caused that?

39 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's quite noisy and desaturated, and there is an odd black glow/shadow along the left of the plant, what caused that?

While you're at it mind rating mine too? right above the guy you quoted.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

24 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

While you're at it mind rating mine too? right above the guy you quoted.

I think it's a good balance of city and sky, but it's quite washed out.  There's other things that would be nice if they were better too (noise, sharpness, etc.) but given the situation they're probably as good as can be expected... no tripods on a plane xD 

24 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think it's a good balance of city and sky, but it's quite washed out.  There's other things that would be nice if they were better too (noise, sharpness, etc.) but given the situation they're probably as good as can be expected... no tripods on a plane xD 

I might go up again by the end of the month. I'm trying to think of ways to take better shots arialy. The issue with night time is the longer exposure to get less noise, but that's not really possible when you're moving ~120MPH. I did shoot in RAW, I wonder if there's anything I can do. I used the built in camera settings when I converted from RAW to JPEG on my computer. I think I could denoise more.

Here is a daytime photo for comparison:

K8CNOgb.jpg

It wasn't taken in the same location, but meteorological conditions were the same. Southern California tends to get a buildup of Haze, and its been particularly worse this past week due to tropical moisture moving in. Notice how it looks 'foggy'. I'm thinking some of the noise in the night shot was due to haze. I'm curious what difference it makes on a clearer day? Second thing to consider: Microscratches on the windows, the windows do not open all the way up on the doors of the cessna, and I'm not about to stick my camera/hand outside while moving at that speed...

14 hours ago, hydrogalaxy said:

Sage.JPG

What's interesting about this photo or the plant?

16 hours ago, ionbasa said:

it's difficult to get still images at sunset from a moving plane

I wouldn't exactly call it difficult, rather more if you aren't there for the right moment (which can always depend on the weather) you might not get the best shot.

12 hours ago, ionbasa said:

I might go up again by the end of the month. I'm trying to think of ways to take better shots arialy. The issue with night time is the longer exposure to get less noise, but that's not really possible when you're moving ~120MPH. I did shoot in RAW, I wonder if there's anything I can do. I used the built in camera settings when I converted from RAW to JPEG on my computer. I think I could denoise more.

Here is a daytime photo for comparison:

K8CNOgb.jpg

It wasn't taken in the same location, but meteorological conditions were the same. Southern California tends to get a buildup of Haze, and its been particularly worse this past week due to tropical moisture moving in. Notice how it looks 'foggy'. I'm thinking some of the noise in the night shot was due to haze. I'm curious what difference it makes on a clearer day? Second thing to consider: Microscratches on the windows, the windows do not open all the way up on the doors of the cessna, and I'm not about to stick my camera/hand outside while moving at that speed...

Shooting through plane windows can be problematic.  Try taking photos through commercial airliner windows, which are not always crystal clear or clean.

You may want to see if the horizon is level.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

21 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Spoiler

K8CNOgb.jpg

I just love how this looks like Cities: Skylines xD 

I took this photo whilst being sick in bed and just fidgeting with a new toy... Relatively new to photography :) 

aperture.jpg

6 hours ago, Wojtek To said:

I took this photo whilst being sick in bed and just fidgeting with a new toy... Relatively new to photography :) 

Come back when you've actually taken some good photos.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

7 hours ago, Wojtek To said:

aperture.jpg

Tbh dude its not that great..Looks like there is motion blur or a slight miss in focus and the subject is not that interesting. You could have done it a lot better with that lens as an object. Try to capture it on its side so you see more of it, get close so you can see the wear and tear which can give you a thought about what the lens have been through during its lifetime. Make it sharp and make it stand out. Put it against a clean background maybe or just blur it out with a low aparture. Think about the details. Like now you have a flare that looks not so good. Get a flashlight and light it with that from different angles to create a better look, and avoid flares like that. 

Here is my shot, I really wished I brought my tripod for this sunset. 

DSC01643.thumb.jpg.91bac8e1cb85525ca521fcc664f3ac34.jpg

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

22 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Tbh dude its not that great..Looks like there is motion blur or a slight miss in focus and the subject is not that interesting. You could have done it a lot better with that lens as an object. Try to capture it on its side so you see more of it, get close so you can see the wear and tear which can give you a thought about what the lens have been through during its lifetime. Make it sharp and make it stand out. Put it against a clean background maybe or just blur it out with a low aparture. Think about the details. Like now you have a flare that looks not so good. Get a flashlight and light it with that from different angles to create a better look, and avoid flares like that. 

Here is my shot, I really wished I brought my tripod for this sunset. 

DSC01643.thumb.jpg.91bac8e1cb85525ca521fcc664f3ac34.jpg

I'm gonna give you a 7/10, its a beautiful scene, but I feel it could be a lot better. I like the way you captured the waves, but the sky kinda leaves me wanting. I understand that must have a lot to do with this being handheld, which may also explain why I think it's not that sharp, although that could also be due to the export itself. 

Here's mine, its a pano of the Athens Skyline at sunset from a pretty good vantage point.

Athens Skyline

27 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I'm gonna give you a 7/10, its a beautiful scene, but I feel it could be a lot better. I like the way you captured the waves, but the sky kinda leaves me wanting. I understand that must have a lot to do with this being handheld, which may also explain why I think it's not that sharp, although that could also be due to the export itself. 

Here's mine, its a pano of the Athens Skyline at sunset from a pretty good vantage point.

Athens Skyline

Nice shot, and yea my shot is handheld at like 1/30 -1/60 and in a kinda akward position. I also had to push the file quite a bit in post as I exposed for the highlights. Should have brought a tripod but tried my best haha. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

33 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Spoiler

Athens Skyline

Something immediately strikes me as just a bit off about this... I think it might be too much vignetting compensation to the point where the corners are now actually lighter than the rest of the image.

11 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Nice shot, and yea my shot is handheld at like 1/30 -1/60 and in a kinda akward position. I also had to push the file quite a bit in post as I exposed for the highlights. Should have brought a tripod but tried my best haha. 

I like the perspective, it looks as if the camera is in the sea, but that sky is a bit too overexposed and since I imagine it was sort of your subject....

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Something immediately strikes me as just a bit off about this... I think it might be too much vignetting compensation to the point where the corners are now actually lighter than the rest of the image.

The corners of the actual image are cropped due to it being something like 5-7 images stiched together, so I had to crop a lot to get it in the right aspect ratio, it was basically cylindrical before that. I noticed that too, but I can't really tell why that is, it isn't vignetting though. It might be LR's stithcing preset...

3 hours ago, cc143 said:

The corners of the actual image are cropped due to it being something like 5-7 images stiched together, so I had to crop a lot to get it in the right aspect ratio, it was basically cylindrical before that. I noticed that too, but I can't really tell why that is, it isn't vignetting though. It might be LR's stithcing preset...

Interesting, must be a result of trying to reconcile the exposure between all the different shots.  Did you have every setting locked in when you did the set you're stitching, or was something (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.) able to change?

Perhaps it just needs to be restitched in a different program or with different settings

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting, must be a result of trying to reconcile the exposure between all the different shots.  Did you have every setting locked in when you did the set you're stitching, or was something (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.) able to change?

Perhaps it just needs to be restitched in a different program or with different settings

Exposure was locked in, I could try doing it with photoshop instead I guess.

21 hours ago, cc143 said:

Athens Skyline

A few more things I'd do besides trying to correct what appears to be uneven exposure that's likely the result of the stitching process.

• Lens distortion and perspective correction.  LR has perspective correction tools or use something like DxO Viewpoint.
  • Composition.  While it looks like a nice place, the building on the left (being the so close to the lens, bright and big) takes up a big chunk of the audience's attention.  It doesn't look like the location has really tall buildings, or maybe there is one or two very tall buildings behind the camera, but I think if your intention was to highlight the city, the skyline and the sunset, then the photo should be taken from a higher angle.  As it is right now, I don't feel it really works.
  • Cut/cropped roofs along the bottom edge.  I understand you had to crop the photo after stitching due to uneven edges.