Rate the Photo Above you

Heres one i took with my drone before it lifted off. i used lightroom for a bit of tuning.

Dude with dog.jpg

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I was like 5-10 cm away from the flowers with my lens but its a nice effect imo, personal prefferance as said. But I defentivly could have gotten them in focus by using a tripod and two exposures. The reason for the really strong colors are that the yellow in my mind looks very ugly when desaturated. I like the strong yellows to really emphazise the good weather and summer vibe. 

I like your street shot but you could straighten the lines ;) Personally I feel so akward shooting random people so I rarley do it. 

I imagined so.

Yeah I will have to fix that later when I get back home and reupload to Flickr when I fix that, it's a microadjustment and my trackpad is a bit jerky, coupled with my non existent work surface it's difficult to do on the go. 

Yes it is weird at first, but you get used to it, I still get weird looks and questions like "why are you taking pictures of random people?"whenever I do Street photography with friends around. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

On 01/06/2017 at 5:49 AM, THeEmpire.01 said:

DSC_1509.thumb.JPG.b0fb06a84004abc88f24a90402e55d4b.JPG

(Hard to capture photo in a moving car^) 

Enlight2.jpg

Iconic New York Statue

These are good photos, but hundreds of people have taken similar shots before but keep it up and practice practice practice.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

6 hours ago, cc143 said:

That explains why I felt the shot needed some LR love at least. The view seems better than you said in your first post though. 

Nicely done, My only criticism, although personal is I'm not sure how I feel about the out of focus flowers in the foreground, I assume you were shooting quite close to them? 

Your first shot also looks nice, I feel the colours pop just a bit too much, but I'm just more reserved in that respect most of the time myself so again it might be just personal preference. 

I've been in Bucharest on vacation since past Thursday and thought I'd do some street stuff, get outside my usual tripod cityscape or landscape rut.

Street Photography in Bucharest

Here's an old lady on the side of the road. I think its the best of the street shots I took, although I did have to crop a bit. 

I did the usual thing as well, I just need to go back home to edit that stuff that needs more attention, my trackpad is really not ideal for editing;P The sigma 35mm art is amazing, and very versatile, it's been on my camera 80% of the time, the other 20% being shots requiring ultrawide focal lengths. My 24-105L has literally never left my bag! I regret having to lug it around with me.

One thing about street photography like this, when you take photos of people in such conditions... try to take photos of their faces, especially the eyes.  You can see their feelings.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 06/06/2017 at 0:32 AM, RedJohn said:

Heres one i took with my drone before it lifted off. i used lightroom for a bit of tuning.

Dude with dog.jpg

Nice shot but as you can see the camera on the drone doesn't have a good dynamic range, the highlights (like on his shoulder area) is a bit overblown.

On 05/06/2017 at 8:33 PM, xQubeZx said:

I did think about the leaves. But I couldn't get an angle so I could get rid of them all so I decided to go for this composition then as it looked very weird with it just being very tiny up in the corner. 

And I've got a few low angle shots like this one: 

IMG_1081.JPG

Again a good photo, however one suggestion:

When taking on bright sunny days like these and you don't want your subject to be squinting, tell them to look at one spot or direction, close their eyes, have them make the facial expression you want them to make, and just before you capture the photo tell them to open the eyes. You'll get like a window of 1-2 seconds before they start squinting. Repeat this as many times as you feel necessary.

And I'm also not a big fan of desaturated yellow.

OK better view of the valley.

title: The Moon and the Mountain

description: the snowcapped peak in the distance is Mt. Cayambe, a volcano.

This photo was taken with my A6500 and Sigma 30 f/2.8 lens, I forgot my 18-105 downstairs in the hotel lobby attached to the FS7.  The security guard at the Hotel Quito, where I was filming today, took me up to the roof to get a better view.  I have another shot taken with a wider angle lens from my hotel room window, will share later.

34314313663_ef392ac0f5_b.jpg

I went to Ecuador as part of a project to film and interview cocoa farmers, I didn't expect to be able to take some photos of beautiful wildlife.  Spotted this bird on a branch, and I first thought "damn I wish I had my long telephoto lens" but he let me come close with a 105mm lens, up to a couple meters away.

34979760502_e9aaa6a8e3_b.jpg

And here's another bird I managed to capture on digital.  If it looks a bit weird, that's because I was shooting against a bright background and using a flash as fill light.

34335211133_3ae69928c6_b.jpg

I'll post the second version of Moon and Mountain soon, I have to download footage from four cameras (including a drone).

Here is V2 of Moon and Mountain, taken with a wider angle lens, at a later time than the first, when I got back to my hotel room.  The first was taken from the roof of Hotel Quito, this one below was taken from my room at Stubel Hotel.

Today the moon is better but there are clouds over Mt. Cayambe blocking the view.

34334713653_acaacc40e0_b.jpg

And here's Mt. Antisana, another volcano near Quito.  This one was taken closer than Cayambe (I can't see Antisana from my hotel room) because we were traveling that direction early in the morning to reach another city.  I'm really not equipped to take proper landscape photos, I packed video gear.

34334946943_c2250054c1_b.jpg

@AkiraDaarkst Nice pictures!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

12 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Here is V2 of Moon and Mountain, taken with a wider angle lens, at a later time than the first, when I got back to my hotel room.  The first was taken from the roof of Hotel Quito, this one below was taken from my room at Stubel Hotel.

Today the moon is better but there are clouds over Mt. Cayambe blocking the view.

And here's Mt. Antisana, another volcano near Quito.  This one was taken closer than Cayambe (I can't see Antisana from my hotel room) because we were traveling that direction early in the morning to reach another city.  I'm really not equipped to take proper landscape photos, I packed video gear.

are those taken with your sony? They are very nice, it shows you have no landscape kit though, I assume being you you've already done the usual LR routine to increase the exposure of the foreground?

I'm currently at a friend's in Portsmouth, so I have internet access on my laptop finally,  here are a couple more from Bucharest.

Their underground stations are very impresive, this is the politechnica station:

Politechnica Station

Some building in the old part of town:

1-6-2017 (18 of 1)

And another old lady:

Street Photography in Bucharest

This is a portrait of one of my friends I was travelling with in Carol Park: 

1-6-2017 (43 of 1).jpg

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

6 minutes ago, cc143 said:

are those taken with your sony? They are very nice, it shows you have no landscape kit though, I assume being you you've already done the usual LR routine to increase the exposure of the foreground?

Aside from V2 of Moon and Mountain which was taken with my D800 and 24-70, the rest (parrot, hummingbird, Antisana) are all A6500 and 18-105.  The day trip towards Antisana (had to get up at 4AM for it) and Quijos for the watershed area, I only took the A6500 and Mavic drone.  Had to be light because on the way back to Quito we were going to be using an available public transport, the person who drove us in the morning had to leave us at noon.  Didn't want to have to manage too many stuff so left the FS7 and D800 in the hotel.

The underground station photo and the B&W photo looks nice.  The photo of you looking up at two buildings, I think the emergency escape ladders get in the way, or you should perhaps try to look for a better spot if you want to include them.  Perhaps a few steps away from where you currently stood.

The final portrait is nice, but here are things you may want to try:

• either center her properly or put her off center on one of the thirds.
  • try playing with different white balance settings.

But it is a good portrait.  If she's willing to model for you, practice with different poses.

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Aside from V2 of Moon and Mountain which was taken with my D800 and 24-70, the rest (parrot, hummingbird, Antisana) are all A6500 and 18-105.  The day trip towards Antisana (had to get up at 4AM for it) and Quijos for the watershed area, I only took the A6500 and Mavic drone.  Had to be light because on the way back to Quito we were going to be using an available public transport, the person who drove us in the morning had to leave us at noon.  Didn't want to have to manage too many stuff so left the FS7 and D800 in the hotel.

The underground station photo and the B&W photo looks nice.  The photo of you looking up at two buildings, I think the emergency escape ladders get in the way, or you should perhaps try to look for a better spot if you want to include them.  Perhaps a few steps away from where you currently stood.

The final portrait is nice, but here are things you may want to try:

• either center her properly or put her off center on one of the thirds.
  • try playing with different white balance settings.

But it is a good portrait.  If she's willing to model for you, practice with different poses.

I understand your predicament well, (although carrying the FS7 is a whole different story). My shoulders are sore from carrying my shoulder bag weighing 9kg for the past week, my backapack was too big to fit as a second on board case in british airways. 

Also, another interesting thing (well out of topic but worth a mention), I had to empty my bag at the Romanian security checkpoint in the airport, they wanted to scan the tripod and extension tubes separately! I had a light heart attack when I thought I'd be leaving with 2 grands worth of gear less. 

The emergency ladder was basically the subject of that image, I couldn't get a proper shot of that building whatever I did. 

I played a bit with the portrait, here it is centred and +1100K. It is an improvement over the orignal.

1-6-2017 (55 of 1).jpg

40 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Also, another interesting thing (well out of topic but worth a mention), I had to empty my bag at the Romanian security checkpoint in the airport, they wanted to scan the tripod and extension tubes separately! I had a light heart attack when I thought I'd be leaving with 2 grands worth of gear less. 

Same thing happens to me at almost every airport with my camera bags. I'm asked to take the stuff out of the bag before going through the x-ray machine.  One time I left a shotgun mic with a deadcat attached in the bag, the x-ray machine saw a long metal tube and the security person came over to me and asked to look inside the bag.  Likely thought it was some sort of rifle barrel or something looking at the image from the scanner.  Part of the perks of traveling with gear, especially when you don't want to check them in.  I'd rather lose my clothes (which I can replace by buying new at the location) than my gear.

Your second version of the portrait, it looks better than the first.  However I suggest this: since you have the RAW file, try different things, different settings, don't just go for the "normal" look or style.  See what happens when you move the sliders in LR or PS or whichever tool you are using all the way, try different combinations.

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Same thing happens to me at almost every airport with my camera bags. I'm asked to take the stuff out of the bag before going through the x-ray machine.  One time I left a shotgun mic with a deadcat attached in the bag, the x-ray machine saw a long metal tube and the security person came over to me and asked to look inside the bag.  Likely thought it was some sort of rifle barrel or something looking at the image from the scanner.  Part of the perks of traveling with gear, especially when you don't want to check them in.  I'd rather lose my clothes (which I can replace by buying new at the location) than my gear.

It is quite cumbersome yes, but usually when travelling with gear I can leave it in my bag in most airports, in Cyprus I only take out the laptop, UK is usually the same as well, although I expect  they will trouble me more these days. 

Could you post a picture of your travel setup and bags etc. in the whats in my bag thread in the forum? I always try to look at what others do when packing and pick up different tips and tricks. I thought about posting one as well, even though my setup is not as extreme. 

13 minutes ago, cc143 said:

It is quite cumbersome yes, but usually when travelling with gear I can leave it in my bag in most airports, in Cyprus I only take out the laptop, UK is usually the same as well, although I expect  they will trouble me more these days. 

Could you post a picture of your travel setup and bags etc. in the whats in my bag thread in the forum? I always try to look at what others do when packing and pick up different tips and tricks. I thought about posting one as well, even though my setup is not as extreme. 

Sure I'll do that this afternoon when I get back.

That sunset looks sick 9/10, wishing my sunset shots would come out good.

This is one I took, was in the middle of the track.

Bikes.jpg

Overall 7/10, great subject and composition, but it's a little out of focus and your colorgrade (Whats the photography term for this? I'm a videographer.) seems a little too punchy. The shadows are ok but the arms of the bikers seem totally overexposed.

Here are a couple of mine from a series titled "I know what it looks like but it's not actually sponsored"

01.jpg

04.jpg

8 hours ago, peabody505 said:

Overall 7/10, great subject and composition, but it's a little out of focus and your colorgrade (Whats the photography term for this? I'm a videographer.) seems a little too punchy. The shadows are ok but the arms of the bikers seem totally overexposed.

Here are a couple of mine from a series titled "I know what it looks like but it's not actually sponsored"

01.jpg

9/10 for the coke on a ladder. That looks like a frame pulled right out of a coke commercial and I'm a big fan of the way it looks.

This is a snapshot I grabbed of my cousin at a baseball game. I just love the way my Sigma 18-35 f1.8 looks!IMG_0648.thumb.jpg.f0bd173c8a70d0241a1ca482536e5484.jpg

9/10. Image is sharp and contrast is really good, however it just shows a person with a ball. Anyway, picture is good!

20170617-DSC_0619.jpg

I like the effect and the subject, lots of interesting parts ... I'm not even sure what I'm looking at! :P 

One thing to improve would be the lens though, it seems no part of the image was actually in focus, but I can also clearly see the depth at which it is most focused which tells me the lens is seriously limiting your resolution.

Pan-01.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Emzijs said:

9/10. Image is sharp and contrast is really good, however it just shows a person with a ball. Anyway, picture is good!

20170617-DSC_0619.jpg

For the past few days I've been hopping airports and been in Bhutan where the internet was slow so haven't had that much time to comment on photos but this one... "what the duck am I looking at?" That's the first thought that comes to mind.

15 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

9/10 for the coke on a ladder. That looks like a frame pulled right out of a coke commercial and I'm a big fan of the way it looks.

This is a snapshot I grabbed of my cousin at a baseball game. I just love the way my Sigma 18-35 f1.8 looks!IMG_0648.thumb.jpg.f0bd173c8a70d0241a1ca482536e5484.jpg

Nice portrait, not much else to say.  That Sigma is a great lens... too bad it's not full frame.  Though I might get one for my A6500 which I've been using as a backup photo/video camera for my D800 and FS7 on these trips.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I like the effect and the subject, lots of interesting parts ... I'm not even sure what I'm looking at! :P 

One thing to improve would be the lens though, it seems no part of the image was actually in focus, but I can also clearly see the depth at which it is most focused which tells me the lens is seriously limiting your resolution.

Getting a little (far) too technical here.

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Getting a little (far) too technical here.

ok :D 

What do you think of the one I posted?  I didn't scale it down so it might take a bit to load.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

ok :D 

What do you think of the one I posted?  I didn't scale it down so it might take a bit to load.

I'll get back to you on that when I can view it on my MBP. Right now I'm too lazy to turn it on and getting ready to board another flight.