Rate the Photo Above you

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

*pile, not wall.  Unless it was actual concrete and not just cement ;) 

Tbh I donno what it was really. But it put me a few cm above everyones heads haha. Got a lot of weird looks on me however, but thats normal when doing sketchy stuff. I've been several meters up in trees trying to catch birds on photo...(as for some reason they preffer to sit at the top and my 200mm (300mm with crop counted in) won't give me enough reach to get a closeup then.) 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Ok, so I went on a very quick excursion yesterday and took some shots, however I only had 20 minutes before the last train so I didn't manage to get anything I like. Best I could do with what I got in LR is this: 

58d826c5c3f6a_25-3-17bridge-2.thumb.jpg.3773e277f8ece78595f33c89a3a44f57.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestion to improve it etc? Its a weird crop I know, but I was in a real hurry, had no time for swapping lenses etc. 

It also looks crooked to me, even though I checked with 2 spirit levels and the in-camera level and it seemed fine. 

EDIT: It was shot at ISO 160, F/10 30" @24mm (the entire image is wider). 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

15 hours ago, cc143 said:

Ok, so I went on a very quick excursion yesterday and took some shots, however I only had 20 minutes before the last train so I didn't manage to get anything I like. Best I could do with what I got in LR is this: 

Does anyone have any suggestion to improve it etc? Its a weird crop I know, but I was in a real hurry, had no time for swapping lenses etc. 

It also looks crooked to me, even though I checked with 2 spirit levels and the in-camera level and it seemed fine. 

It's a nice start, I'd try different crops though.  The main issues are the back block shadow in the bottom left, the shadows on the right hand side and the noise.  Your camera is a Canon, right?  The fixed pattern noise/grain is pretty familiar.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

It's a nice start, I'd try different crops though.  The main issues are the back block shadow in the bottom left, the shadows on the right hand side and the noise.  Your camera is a Canon, right?  The fixed pattern noise/grain is pretty familiar.

Yep, 5d mk3, the reasons you stated are why I cropped so much basically (even though the shadows hide the vast amount of empty beer can and bottles on there), and the noise is way more than I expected as well. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

On 2017-03-26 at 4:40 PM, cc143 said:

58d826c5c3f6a_25-3-17bridge-2.thumb.jpg.3773e277f8ece78595f33c89a3a44f57.jpg

I think the reason why it feels crooked is because that bridge is not flat, and since it occupies a major part of the frame, throws off a viewers perspective. It looks like you have, but just to ask, did you do any lens correction in post? 

_DSC5404.jpg

11 hours ago, Chase Haddleton said:

I think the reason why it feels crooked is because that bridge is not flat, and since it occupies a major part of the frame, throws off a viewers perspective. It looks like you have, but just to ask, did you do any lens correction in post?

I like it, the main issues I have with this photo are:

1. obviously the amount of noise
  2. the centering of your subject, put him off center
  3. you should've had more of the drum set in the frame rather than the background walls and ceiling
  4. and try to increase the exposure a bit or lift the shadows a bit in post

I assume the noise and grain comes from using a high ISO due to low ambient light.  Do they allow the use of flash at the location?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

13 hours ago, Chase Haddleton said:

Yes I have, that image is with photo corrections, I believe LR's preset was quite close to the best I could get as well. 

The image is not straight, I'm not using it to determine whether its straight, I rather look at the the left and right of the river, it might be the location the camera was setup though, it was a weird height and angle.

In your image, Akira's comment about less of the wall and more of the drum set is quite bang on,  what camera and settings did you use? 

I like the image. I think the expsoure can work. But it the drumset could be a bit more of a part in the image as that seems to be the main interest. 6.8/10

Here is mine

IMG_0941.JPG

And here is a lovely image of myself getting this shot haha. The water was so damn cold so I didn't want to stand in it for more than like 30s. 

IMG_0956.PNG

As far as tents/sleepingbags/rucksacks go I can wholeheartedly recommend salewa, I have a couple of their rucksacks and my sierra leone tent has been with me for about 10 years and I have no complaints, its light (reasonably), well made, insulated and was rock steady in pretty strong winds. 

here is their range: http://www.salewa.com/en/equipment/tents.html

6 hours ago, cc143 said:

As far as tents/sleepingbags/rucksacks go I can wholeheartedly recommend salewa, I have a couple of their rucksacks and my sierra leone tent has been with me for about 10 years and I have no complaints, its light (reasonably), well made, insulated and was rock steady in pretty strong winds. 

here is their range: http://www.salewa.com/en/equipment/tents.html

Quite sure you are in the wrong topic haha ;)

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Quite sure you are in the wrong topic haha ;)

Well that's dissertation deadline week for you;P this was supposed to be in the whats in my bag thing I think. 

8 hours ago, cc143 said:

Well that's dissertation deadline week for you;P this was supposed to be in the whats in my bag thing I think. 

Happens to me after a few bottles of whiskey.

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Happens to me after a few bottles of whiskey.

approximately the same effect, whiskey is just a far more enjoyable way to get there;P 

On 3/31/2017 at 0:07 AM, Silverwolf_7 said:

Here are the things that doesn't make this photo work.

1. Parts of the plane get cropped in the edges of the frame.
  2. You've taken a photo of the plane from the back.  This is not one of those instacrap photos where the girlfriend wants a photo of her back while she is at some interesting location and has one hand behind her holding her boyfriend's hand while he takes the photo.  Here, you're trying to capture a portrait of the plane, at least that's what I hope your intentions are.  You're not trying to capture a photo that shows the plane at some interesting location.

On 2017-03-29 at 2:11 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

I like it, the main issues I have with this photo are:

1. obviously the amount of noise
  2. the centering of your subject, put him off center
  3. you should've had more of the drum set in the frame rather than the background walls and ceiling
  4. and try to increase the exposure a bit or lift the shadows a bit in post

I assume the noise and grain comes from using a high ISO due to low ambient light.  Do they allow the use of flash at the location?

No flash, but I did lift the shadows a bit in post already (sadly, I'm at school so I'm away from my main rig which has my LR catalogue with this photo so I can't double check).

Good comment on the composition, that would have made the photo better.

On 2017-03-29 at 1:41 PM, cc143 said:

Yes I have, that image is with photo corrections, I believe LR's preset was quite close to the best I could get as well. 

The image is not straight, I'm not using it to determine whether its straight, I rather look at the the left and right of the river, it might be the location the camera was setup though, it was a weird height and angle.

In your image, Akira's comment about less of the wall and more of the drum set is quite bang on,  what camera and settings did you use? 

D7100, ISO 3200, 1/100s, F/ 3.0, 27mm

On 2017-03-30 at 8:07 PM, Silverwolf_7 said:

-snip-

Echo what Akira said, cutting things off on the edge of the frame are generally bad! (he says as he posts a photo with the bottom of the guitar cut off)

_DSC6094.jpg

15 hours ago, Chase Haddleton said:

Echo what Akira said, cutting things off on the edge of the frame are generally bad! (he says as he posts a photo with the bottom of the guitar cut off)

I like the photo, I'm just not sold on the bottom left area where there's this out of focus gray/black block.

Secondly, the position of the mic and stand in relation to your main subject which I am assuming is the guitarist.  You're trying to focus the attention on him and not the mic, right?

15 hours ago, Chase Haddleton said:

Echo what Akira said, cutting things off on the edge of the frame are generally bad! 

That's not true.

On 1-4-2017 at 7:05 PM, Chase Haddleton said:

_DSC6094.jpg

9/10 for the colours, they feel a bit cold, but still look good in most places. composition wise it is sadly a 6/10, mostly due to your position, the mic seems bigger then the singer and the speaker(?) on the left takes quite some attention due to it's size. You noted the guitar yourself already, but despite that and what I mentioned I quite like it.

10 hours ago, .spider. said:

That's not true.

He said in general, it definitely isn't true in all cases, but it a wrong positioning/crop/cut can kill the whole shot but not always, although it rarely packs out good.

okey, my 2 cents for this topic.

33601037576_5ccf8293cd_b.jpg

thommy saltzherr, on Flickr

extra internet points for who ever can find my 2 editing mistakes that I got away with until now.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

9/10 for the colours, they feel a bit cold, but still look good in most places. composition wise it is sadly a 6/10, mostly due to your position, the mic seems bigger then the singer and the speaker(?) on the left takes quite some attention due to it's size. You noted the guitar yourself already, but despite that and what I mentioned I quite like it.

He said in general, it definitely isn't true in all cases, but it a wrong positioning/crop/cut can kill the whole shot but not always, although it rarely packs out good.

okey, my 2 cents for this topic.

33601037576_5ccf8293cd_b.jpg

thommy saltzherr, on Flickr

extra internet points for who ever can find my 2 editing mistakes that I got away with until now.

Its a nice image 8/10, The outline of the bird seems a bit botched if you used a brush around it, but that's my only insight.

Here's mine, I had to decrease quality to get it within the limit, may have overdone it a bit. 

SSE Hydro-1-2.jpg

@ cc143

9/10 good one i think at night with more lights is a option

IMG_0032.JPG

5 hours ago, Spawn0202 said:

@ cc143

9/10 good one i think at night with more lights is a option

IMG_0032.JPG

That's what I was going for, but after half an hour of smoking at the same spot I realised I'd rather not get lung cancer waiting for the sun to set;P

Have you edited that at all? If that is as shot, you could make a huge difference with 5-10mins in LR. Some slider adjustments will make the colours in the image more pleasing. Also, Some exposure and contrast adjustments may help you get some detail into the sky. It is a very good start, its well exposed and well framed, I may have shot a bit differently, getting a bit more of the river since the tracks follow the same lines, but then again, I may have taken away from the main subject, so I can't really say. As it is, 6/10, but with minor adjustments you are easily looking at an 8. 

Short attempt at street photography today. I was a little gun shy, but definitely improved over time. It's not the best of the bunch, I just like the entire image, reminds me of a 70's bw pic that was altered to colour, the car (obviously a 90s-early00s lotus, but still has a retro feel) and the driver even looks as if taken out of a 70's car chase movie. He even looks as if he just robbed a bank for some reason. 

4th of April Street-7.jpg

10/10 for the face. I would like the whole car better, maybe even a b&w version? Focus looks a bit off, overall I would say 6/10.

Fuji X-E2 with 50mm f2 Rikenon from 1988.

20170402-2017_0402_12274100-01.jpg