Rate the Photo Above you

On 30/07/2016 at 5:52 PM, Flight1sim said:

I'm just gonna rate all of @ShawnGMusic's pics:

1. 6/10 It's not really doing anything to me, as I don't really know what i'm looking at. Definitely more "abstract" imo? Maybe with some more contrast and reducing highlights would help out. (and if you're okay with cropping, i'd crop it so there's less sky as that distracts from the lake at the bottom)

2. 8/10 very well composed picture, great detail and colors. The highlights are a bit blown out tho which could probably be fixed in post, unless u were going for that effect. 

3. 7/10 Its a good picture but again, if the image was a bit tighter it would allow the viewer to know where to look. A crop would help as you're taking these pictures on your phone and optical zoom isn't really a thing :P The haze at the top is interesting but the way it came out in this picture seems like the lens was smudged (a bit)

Overall very good, especially coming from a phone, the issues have nothing to do with the composition and your artistic talent. 

So i have a TON of pictures from my trip to Colorado, so i guess i'll post 2 at a time? (is that kay?)

1. Denver by Flight1sim, on Flickr

2. Denver by Flight1sim, on Flickr

So if this is going to be a theme, I'll rate two and post one, so the next person will rate one and post none :P

1. 7/10 I like the subject, as well as the background, although the muted colours kind of detract a little from it, overall a really nice photo though.

2. 9/10 This is really nice, the colouration, the subject, the scene all look great, wish I could find subjects like that when going to the countryside, sheep are kinda boring to photograph.

So I've been going to the Liverpool Cars and Coffee a few times now, and I've gotten some photos from there, both off my phone and camera, so I'll be using those for this.

CCCXMqM.jpg

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

5 hours ago, Thorium19 said:

So if this is going to be a theme, I'll rate two and post one, so the next person will rate one and post none :P

1. 7/10 I like the subject, as well as the background, although the muted colours kind of detract a little from it, overall a really nice photo though.

2. 9/10 This is really nice, the colouration, the subject, the scene all look great, wish I could find subjects like that when going to the countryside, sheep are kinda boring to photograph.

So I've been going to the Liverpool Cars and Coffee a few times now, and I've gotten some photos from there, both off my phone and camera, so I'll be using those for this.

8/10 Great photo and nice focus. But I feel like it's missing something, maybe some highlights on the car could add more to the photo?

Here's mine from a Convention last weekend.

28598895411_1c8aff9147_b.jpg

Närcon Sommar 2016 by Pierre Lindgren, on Flickr

8/10 DOF is good color is good. Feels a little crooked to me. Would like to see more of the sky behind. 

Playing with long exposure here. Came out noisy and yucky so I dropped the blacks a bunch, not the exposure I wanted but meh. I think my old T3i is getting tired. 

Fence Wide.png

Icarus I -Past

Icarus II Present

HAL 6000 - Future

18 hours ago, craydawg said:

8/10 DOF is good color is good. Feels a little crooked to me. Would like to see more of the sky behind. 

Playing with long exposure here. Came out noisy and yucky so I dropped the blacks a bunch, not the exposure I wanted but meh. I think my old T3i is getting tired.

4/10, star trailing can be nice but it is so small here that it bothers me, I would suggest trying to play with 20-30sec shutter time at most and higher f numbers( f/11 or maybe f/18) to keep trailing minimal but still get a dark surrounding with bright spots from the stars, although the effect can differ depending on your surroundings. That said, night photography is something I still don't understand myself fully yet, so I might be mistaken here and there.

my submission, close up of a strawberry taken on the middle of the day, use of external flash allowed me to get a nearly completely dark background, although I was aiming for a blacked out background, this comes pretty close.

28648699841_b3d83e42f9_c.jpg

strawberry by thommy saltzherr, on Flickr

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

23 hours ago, Bsmith said:

my submission, close up of a strawberry taken on the middle of the day, use of external flash allowed me to get a nearly completely dark background, although I was aiming for a blacked out background, this comes pretty close

8/10. Could be a ten, because I love this kind of stuff, but I think you didn't manage your aperture and focus plane very well, resulting in the center of the subject being blurry. To me at least it's a problem, may not be to someone else.

New submission, same day (and same mood) as the previous one (which nobody rated :()

IMG_1601-1.jpg

5 hours ago, Guy_guy said:

8/10. Could be a ten, because I love this kind of stuff, but I think you didn't manage your aperture and focus plane very well, resulting in the center of the subject being blurry. To me at least it's a problem, may not be to someone else.

New submission, same day (and same mood) as the previous one (which nobody rated :()

IMG_1601-1.jpg

Hi Guy_guy, 7/10. Technically a good photo, but subject wise a bit plain. The black and white conversion is well done and certainly gives it the mood the beleaive you intended.

First Submission:

20023410226_b6215eeb7e_c.jpg

I would say 8/10. The composition is amazing and the photo has an awesome space vibe. The sky is amazing, but I have to criticize the bright light next to the person on the sand. I would have used the light to create a silhouette of the subject, but that's just me... The underexposed rocks really make this image. Without them, it would have been generic and I'd have given it a 5 or 6 

Here is my submission: (taken on an HTC One M8, edited on my iPhone 6 in Mextures and Snapseed)

File_000.jpeg

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

9/10. I really like the composition and the image itself, but the light from sun is just out of touch.It just seems too bright. But that's my personal preference. :)

My submission from Drift Allstars Round 5 - Riga, Bikernieki Track.

DSC_0289.jpg

On 07/08/2016 at 3:53 PM, Emzijs said:

My submission from Drift Allstars Round 5 - Riga, Bikernieki Track.

Nicely composed, panned almost correctly, but without a 1-axis IS, it can be tricky I guess. 8/10

IMG_2230-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Guy_guy said:

Nicely composed, panned almost correctly, but without a 1-axis IS, it can be tricky I guess. 8/10

Sick picture!  Fireworks, maybe?  10/10, it looks like warp drive through deep space or something like that.  Great job :D

I took this on the USVI St.Maarten.  Some guy had a TON of iguanas!  Look at those eyes...

DSC06441-Edited.jpg

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

1 hour ago, bobdabiulder said:

Sick picture!  Fireworks, maybe?  10/10, it looks like warp drive through deep space or something like that.  Great job :D

I took this on the USVI St.Maarten.  Some guy had a TON of iguanas!  Look at those eyes...

I'd give that a 7/10. the focus, colours and subject are all really good, you must have bribed it to pose like that for you! The only complaint is the brightness, maybe close the apeture a little more and it'd be even better.

Here's another cars and coffee photo, took this about 3 meets back when there was a fair amount of italian supercars about, including an original F40 in yellow!

FH6yAqu.jpg

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

@Thorium19 I zoomed in a bit and there were about 10-15 other tourists/guides with us.  We were giving them lettuce, the guy who handled them claims to have ~200 in all because there's a pond behind there.

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

9 hours ago, Thorium19 said:

I'd give that a 7/10. the focus, colours and subject are all really good, you must have bribed it to pose like that for you! The only complaint is the brightness, maybe close the apeture a little more and it'd be even better.

Here's another cars and coffee photo, took this about 3 meets back when there was a fair amount of italian supercars about, including an original F40 in yellow!

9/10 The photo looks great feel like I would maybe change the dof a little not sure tho. (Little new to photography so sorry if its not the feed back you were hoping for)  

Photo I took recently took, I'll let you judge fro yourself.

DSC_1050.jpg

6/10 I like the exposure and the subject. I feel like it could have been composed better. 

This one is meh. But I was playing with reflections on my monitor base at work and some samples of chrome. I probably could have picked a better shape lol...

PSX_20160804_145839.jpg

Icarus I -Past

Icarus II Present

HAL 6000 - Future

21 hours ago, craydawg said:

6/10 I like the exposure and the subject. I feel like it could have been composed better. 

This one is meh. But I was playing with reflections on my monitor base at work and some samples of chrome. I probably could have picked a better shape lol...

I like the idea. It seems like the metal is floating. Apparently the focus is on where the two ends of the plate meet. Maybe a higher aperture number could have made the whole heart more in focus. 7/10.

But who am I to say that. Another photo from cologne where we walked past some sort of workshop with one woman cutting something. The big headline says "Artwork". I wish I would have spent more time on the shot. I literally just stopped for 2 seconds.

DSC_0031[1].jpg

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

No pic - just a comment.  @SQZY98, it looks like a picture from 1900 - 1950, like what you'd see on film or a news paper back then.  Not my preference, but some might like that as it's a cool effect ;) 

On 8/10/2016 at 0:45 PM, SQZY98 said:

I like the idea. It seems like the metal is floating. Apparently the focus is on where the two ends of the plate meet. Maybe a higher aperture number could have made the whole heart more in focus. 7/10.

But who am I to say that. Another photo from cologne where we walked past some sort of workshop with one woman cutting something. The big headline says "Artwork". I wish I would have spent more time on the shot. I literally just stopped for 2 seconds.

5/10, I get what you where going for, but the i feel there is nothing in particular that really pulls me into the picture.

Here is one i just took through the case back of a mechanical watch with a macro lens made from an old minolta zoom.

DSCF7593.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

5 hours ago, bob345 said:

5/10, I get what you where going for, but the i feel there is nothing in particular that really pulls me into the picture.

Here is one i just took through the case back of a mechanical watch with a macro lens made from an old minolta zoom.

7/10, The bright lens flare or whatever it is in the bottom left is a bit distracting. The main area of focus is really good and nicely sharp, although it's a pity the large bit at the bottom wasn't also in focus.

27146129824_446625138d_b.jpg

5.5/10 i have the feeling that image is about the audience instead of what's going on also all important parts are overexposed  

André Kuipers' spacesuit taken at Space Expo Noordwijk NL

IMG_5877.jpg

5 hours ago, .spider. said:

5.5/10 i have the feeling that image is about the audience instead of what's going on also all important parts are overexposed  

André Kuipers' spacesuit taken at Space Expo Noordwijk NL

9.5 out of 10.  I love the intense focus on the suit. 

uO1QkqG.jpg

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

In terms of quality it's not that great, not sharp at all, and there's a lot of chromatic aberations. the sun feels too harsh, which should be easily fixed if you shot raw. 

I like the scene itself though (even if the subject is slightly off-centered).

6.5/10

IMG_2199-1.jpg

On 8/14/2016 at 1:26 PM, Guy_guy said:

In terms of quality it's not that great, not sharp at all, and there's a lot of chromatic aberations. the sun feels too harsh, which should be easily fixed if you shot raw. 

I like the scene itself though (even if the subject is slightly off-centered).

6.5/10

IMG_2199-1.jpg

4/10... What is the subject, what is happening? It looks bit too random to be interesting.

I was testing an old manual focus telephoto lens and I spotted this butterfly resting on the roof.

DSC00095.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

7 hours ago, Tam3n said:

4/10... What is the subject

The subject is the kid in the middle. I would have liked something a bit more developed as a critique, I mean not being able to find a subject when there's a big glowing thing in the middle is a bit weird. I get that it's random, but is random a bad thing? 

It reminds me of an article I read a while ago : 

http://cphmag.com/aboutness/

Anyway, I'm not gonna go on a rant, photography is a mean of expression, so, to each his own :).

On 8/17/2016 at 2:48 AM, Tam3n said:

4/10... What is the subject, what is happening? It looks bit too random to be interesting.

I was testing an old manual focus telephoto lens and I spotted this butterfly resting on the roof.DSC00095.jpg

6/10 Great focus. Could be a great shot but the background throws it. Also the hard line on the bottom of the Butterfly makes it look a little fake too. Good colors though. 

I was playing with some macro tubes here getting that tiny tiny focus focus field. 

Flower.png

Icarus I -Past

Icarus II Present

HAL 6000 - Future