Gigabyte BRIX Gaming

why are the links to amazon/ncis so retarded? ffs, dont give me a search link, give me the link to the actual fucking product. 

EDIT: sigh... sorry for the hate guys, that's what happens when you just knew that you failed your math final 

:( sorry to hear about your test.

Just fixed the NCIX link - that was my bad.

Amazon link should be fixed soon...

Any particular reason for this? Or is it a 'just because we want to' thing...

You may have noticed that I am the one making the post rather than Linus - he needs to sleep at some point, so he needs to pass off some work from time to time in order to continue creating the fantastic content that we all enjoy so much. Things need to be checked and approved during a learning process.

Everything will be back to normal soon :)

hell just drop it into a jug of mineral oil to help cool the sucker

This thing is pretty sweet IMO, I dig it. Just needs a better cooling solution.

Nice effort - I think if they'd have taken a 750 Ti instead of the 760 it would be a much better rounded system overall. I'd be interested to see how well a brix with an 800 series card would perform because of the presumably lower energy consumption and thermals.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

An idea for gigabyte (basically how to fix the product):

give the thing some quick-disconnect-fittings for the heatsink.

I know then it will be a tad bulkier BUT let me explain:

Make it so you can run it in two modes:

first, on air with gpu and cpu downclocked really far (like on par with an atom cpu) so it will be quiet but you can still run the 1080p youtubes. and I know that can be done.

then, if you connect a pump/res/radiator combo to the quick disconnects and it registers that by some sort of a sensor, it will unlock the full power of the pc.

this way you have a pc thats sufficient for everyday use but can be brought into beastmode by adding the said watercooling unit.

now don't get me wrong. DONT PREATTATCH THE COOLING UNIT. DONT EVEN BUNDLE IT.

Just give the unit some g1/4 female quick disconnects to plug in to and include the g1/4 male quick disconnects with the BRIX.

Then everyone can bring their own tubing and setup yadda yadda. I'm pretty sure this ability to keep the slickness of the devide itself AND put the cooling elsewhere will basically bomb any other gaming-HTPC out there.
Imagine you have the brix on your desk and under your desk there is a dual rad cooling the thing. Or you have it on your TV shelf and on its backside there is the same dual rad. If that isn't versatile, I don't know what is.

But for this to work propperly you have to let the people cut their own tubing (because of lengths) and give them options in terms of which components to use for cooling. That way you wouldn't have to team up with asetek and design (and then distribute and sell) a whole cooler whilst taking us our precious options.

Now you got one more card in your hand: price. You can basically buy this PC and use as a interwebs/office device and when you can afford the cooling hardware, you can just buy it and catapult the BRIX's performance to a gaming level.

And do me one more favour: don't cut the performance. The i5 is fine and the 760 is adequate, I would even stuff a 770 in there if it was possible and get 'just' 3GB of GDDR5 ram for the gpu.

The only thing you will be able to do with 4k on this machine is editing/viewing 4k video anyways.

Do this and it will sell like hot cake.

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

They need to implement the following: One they should make the CPU upgradeable similarly to the way you would upgrade a desktop CPU. Two they should allow you to swap out that bottom PCB in order to upgrade the GPU. Three they need to find a solution in order to adequately cool this thing; whether it is exotic, size increase, better fans, etc. I don't care they just need to give it better cooling. If they did this I could swear they'd eat up the whole market.  

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

So this is an amazing piece of engineering but the Mac Pro (which doesn't overheat or throttle) is overpriced? Classic Windows fanboyism @LinusTech.

This isn't supposed to be a professional workstation.

if i buy this can i live stream and have 2 to 3 monitors hooked to this thing or noooooo

This isn't supposed to be a professional workstation.

Well no, and I realize that, but honestly this is nothing special. This is essentially a third party NUC with a crudely integrated 760 and it overheats.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Gigabyte really should have thought this through. A 750 Ti would have been a much better decision. It's only a step down but Maxwell uses so much less power and produces so much less heat. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 750 Ti model whoop a 760 model cause the 760 version is being held back by it's thermal throttling. 

"Rawr XD"

Wonderful idea but poorly implemented. What about turning the case into one big heat sink with heat pipes running through it? Plastic/silicon feet so it won't burn what it's placed on and can be picked up safely. A 760 that throttles down so hard is just useless.

any chance anyone can post a pic of the connection of the gpu to the motherboard?

is it a standard PCI/EX slot or is it some sort of cable to which you can connect any standard discrete graphics card?

thanks

What size fans do they come with? I think comparing the stock fans to noctua fans of the same size would yield some interesting results, especially with performance. 

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

It's an impressive piece of engineering, but it's silly to have hardware that just overheat and can't be utilized.  I would much rather have a silent mid tower stashed in the corner of a room, than this things whining away on the back of my TV.

Its a marvel, but its a shame that the GPU heats up wayyy too much. I wouldn't mind having one with 2x its size

This just screams two things:

1) Get a Laptop cooler for it.

OR

2) Wait for Asus' ROG console PCs.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

• 1 month later...

Okay, So if the problem is cooling, they can increase the size of it a bit and then they can do some water cooling to the GPU. That's it, it can make it supeeeeeeeeeeeeeer then ever. Reply me what do you guys think.

Okay, So if the problem is cooling, they can increase the size of it a bit and then they can do some water cooling to the GPU. That's it, it can make it supeeeeeeeeeeeeeer then ever. Reply me what do you guys think.

wat. radiators are big you know. plus the hose are not easily bendable

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

wat. radiators are big you know. plus the hose are not easily bendable

Yes, I know but making it a bit bigger and doing some manual tweaks can make it possible.

Yes, I know but making it a bit bigger and doing some manual tweaks can make it possible.

I guess what youre trying to imply is upsizing the BRIX to BOX? Projector sized ones

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

I guess what youre trying to imply is upsizing the BRIX to BOX? Projector sized ones

Quite some, because the size of the BRIX itself is (59.6 mm x 128 mm x 115.4 mm). So increasing the height a little bit is worth because we are getting so much of awesome hardware.

• 1 month later...

Now that I rewatched this I am wondering if Gigabyte will release a model with a Maxwell GPU. This could be a great step towards Portable gaming. I would also like to put OS X on it if they release a Maxwell Model :D

\