What is the difference between Cherry MX Red and Blue Switches?

What is the difference, and which do you prefer? From what I've heard, Reds are optimal for gaming, while being poor for typing, and Blues excel at typing and have the most tactile feel. I have two Cherry MX Blue keyboards currently, the Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition and Ultimate, and am enjoying the experience but I'm wondering whether Reds are better overall

reds are closest to rubberdome keyboards and have little to no tactile feed back.

blues are furthest from rubberdome boards and have the most tactile keyboard.

no key is BEST at anything it is all opinion but those are popular opinions

I like browns, tactile like blues but quieter 

(heres a video about them)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

As everyone else says; the feel of switches is totally a personal preference. If you like the feel of blues, then you should stick to them. I would strongly recommend, if you get the chance, to try a bunch of different switched. Places like tech conventions are the best places to do this, just go around booths and try out the different keyboard switches. 

Linus discusses a lot of the differences in switches here: 

and here:

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

Reds are said to be "optimal for gaming" because they are a linear switch and have a low actuation force, meaning they are super easy to press down. But because of this fact, they are also easy to make mistakes with and thus the reason why people don't prefer them for typing; you can easily accidently press a button you didn't want to.

There is no "better" switch, it's all preference. Since you already own two blue switches, I recommend you try to get your hands on a red switch and try it out for yourself, it's the only want to know for sure what you like and don't like.

reds are closest to rubberdome keyboards and have little to no tactile feed back.

blues are furthest from rubberdome boards and have the most tactile keyboard.

no key is BEST at anything it is all opinion but those are popular opinions

I like browns, tactile like blues but quieter 

(heres a video about them)

Which are more tactile, Browns or Blues? I've been told that Blues are more tactile about 67% of the time

Reds are said to be "optimal for gaming" because they are a linear switch and have a low actuation force, meaning they are super easy to press down. But because of this fact, they are also easy to make mistakes with and thus the reason why people don't prefer them for typing; you can easily accidently press a button you didn't want to.

It sounds like if you got used to it, you could actually improve your WPM

As everyone else says; the feel of switches is totally a personal preference. If you like the feel of blues, then you should stick to them. I would strongly recommend, if you get the chance, to try a bunch of different switched. Places like tech conventions are the best places to do this, just go around booths and try out the different keyboard switches. 

Linus discusses a lot of the differences in switches here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXCKHoiNu1o&feature=player_embedded

and here:

Thanks for the video, I've already seen it but it was helpful. It sounds like Blues or Reds will fit my needs better than the others, especially once I get these blue dampeners for my Blue switches

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Thanks for the video, I've already seen it but it was helpful. It sounds like Blues or Reds will fit my needs better than the others, especially once I get these blue dampeners for my Blue switches.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Yeah, and if you can't decide between them, then browns are like the middle ground between both. They're what I will be going for on my keyboard :)

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

It sounds like if you got used to it, you could actually improve your WPM.

Yes, if you can get used to it, your WPM could improve. Another advantage to red switches and why it is considered a "gaming switch" is because since it is so light, it won't cause fatique in your fingers after long sessions of gaming or typing. But then again, that's also something your fingers can get used to if you use blue switches. This applies to everything; the more you practice something, you will get better at it or get used to it.

In the end, it's just preference.

Yes, if you can get used to it, your WPM could improve. Another advantage to red switches and why it is considered a "gaming switch" is because since it is so light, it won't cause fatique in your fingers after long sessions of gaming or typing. But then again, that's also something your fingers can get used to if you use blue switches. This applies to everything; the more you practice something, you will get better at it or get used to it.

In the end, it's just preference.

I never noticed my fingers becoming fatigued with Blue switches, but I am interested in the Reds for their potential WPM benefit

• 1 year later...

There is no "better" switch, it's all preference. Since you already own two blue switches, I recommend you try to get your hands on a red switch and try it out for yourself, it's the only want to know for sure what you like and don't like.

If anything, this is how Blues were for me when I first started typing with them. Now I can't live without the click of them, damn you Best Buy employee!