"Verizon says Netflix is the one causing internet congestion, and it's actually right"

So Verizon is at it again i guess. I don't live in the US, but it looks like the big, mean ISP's aren't the only ones to blame here. I don't quite understand the graph completely, but it looks like Netlfix is using congested lines on purpose. Here's the article

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/10/5888239/verizon-netflix-congestion

What do you think?

Grts

Pieter

I'm on the side where there aren't enough ISPs to make them get off their lazy ass and upgrade the infrastructure. If Google fibre were to solve that congestion and everyone switched to it because their netflix performance on Verizion isn't satisfactory, Verizon would be forced to upgrade their infrastructure or face the reality of losing tons of customers.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Well somewhat true, why can't netflex be a independent provider? 

Or ATLEAST rent their dedicated servers to end user? 

Many ISP companies over here are doing the same now... Not only internet is expensive compared to other countries but it's getting slower even with FOC.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

The american ISPs, need to get their fucking shit together because they are dramatically halting the advancement of speed in the US

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The american ISPs, need to get their fucking shit together because they are dramatically halting the advancement of speed in the US

I agree.

BTW, average speed among my friends and I is about 35Mbps, and we're all paying for at least 50 down.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I agree.

BTW, average speed among my friends and I is about 35Mbps, and we're all paying for at least 50 down.

We pay for 20down and get 40down 8up. As for price per month its £17

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The last thing ISP would do is build a new infrastructure for the sake of couple mad customers. I have one thing in my mind, how do smaller ISP have their lines running to smaller places in town? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Typical half-truth marketing from these asshats.

Well its not NetFlix but you the NetFlix watcher/streamer that's the problem.

Its not like NetFlix is pushing content blindly, you are requesting it and hence clogging up the tubes.

Providers are just getting whiny and trying to charge for usage to get more money.

Cant' wait for the KickStarter to overthrow the ISP's.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I have both Verizon as my ISP and I also have Netflix, I have never had one issue with Netflix being throttled. It runs fine on my conection.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Netflix offered american ISP's servers to take some of the load off of their networks and they turned them down.  Verizon doesn't care if there are solutions to the congestion problems because they want to charge their customers more money.  If they can just limit the amount of traffic that their customers are using by charging them more money so that only the people that are willing to pay extra get better service, then they don't have to upgrade their infrastructure.  

Well its not NetFlix but you the NetFlix watcher/streamer that's the problem.

Its not like NetFlix is pushing content blindly, you are requesting it and hence clogging up the tubes.

Providers are just getting whiny and trying to charge for usage to get more money.

Cant' wait for the KickStarter to overthrow the ISP's.

The tubes wouldn't be getting clogged if we weren't all being pushed through the same one. Typically your connection is free to use the fastest connection, right now the ISP's are sending us through the same tube. Doesn't matter if there's a faster one or not.

Now this only really seems to be when connecting to youtube and netflix, but it's happening. So it is not the watchers problem, it is the ISP's creating the problem.

I'll give Telus this, they say I should be getting 10 down, 1 up; I actually get 10 down and 1 up. And thats fine by me, because I'm rarely home so my 30 a month internet and home phone bill is acceptable. 

And Telus has never failed to give me high quality Netflix, ever. The only time Netflix went down the drain was when 2 other people were using it at the same time (this was back in the more than 2 users could be on at the same time days)

Verizon needs to shut up before Netflix comes back with more damning dirt, or before the internet does that for them. 

Verizons track record does not allow me to give them the benefit of any doubt.

With how much net profit these companies make per year, they could easily upgrade their network to be faster. We pay them to deliver content to use, if they can't do that, its their fault. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

So in other words Verizon doesn't wants Netflix to choose providers, a complete opposite of Net neutrality, provider B offers Netflix a better deal to connect to Verizon than provider A

Yeah this is definitively Logan facepalm worthy:

gallery_55326_1514_72848.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

pay for 5Mbps down and 2Mbps up for $70 so I think the infrastructure needs to be updates badly and today I watched my first Youtube video today in 1080P instead of 360P

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520